Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 04:37 PM   #21
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Madriver:
quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Aar-Daneel, I hope that you are right. 30 would be a LOT better than 28. Your manners are lovely. I shall look forward to playing NWN with you.
Encard, it took time for me to get it, too, but if you have played PS: T, you'll get the idea. Instead of adding points to your stats numerically, you have to "Buy" higher scores. You will be given 28 (or, hopefully 30) points to expend on your character's stats. So, it doesn't just take 1 point to move from 17 to 18, it takes 3! That's why it is so imporant to get everything as high as you can at the start, because you get 1 point more per 4 levels that you gain. That is why I have been feverishly trying to finagle all the 'crucial' scores high, but not too high. There are penalties attached to having too low an INT or WIS, unlike BG and BGII, where a fighter could merely disregard them.
I actually like the point buy system, it means I won't be rolling for hours to try and get nice stats for my starting character.
Galadria, I think you might be confused from reading the above, correct me if I'm wrong. The points you get from gaining 4 levels are not the same as the starting ones. So when my character gets to 4th level he can use the one ability point to go from 17 to 18 strength...it doesn't take multiple ones...he doesn't have to save for 12 levels.

I'd buff up your wisdom some more and don't worry too much about the dex...the cleric will be wearing armor after all.
[/QUOTE]You are correct here, the ability raise points you get increase the stat by one, not a continuation of the point buy system. A good thumbrule is to have a score on an uneven number cause when you hit level 4 you can increase that to an even number and your modifier raises one..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:49 AM   #22
Kelsoph-Syn-
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The point buy system is explained on the Bioware FAQ for NWN.

I didn't get it at first either... I was like, can't we just roll? [img]smile.gif[/img]

But 30 is the default point buy limit for NWN. What you will get will be based on the settings on the server you play. The server I'm playing on (Norworld) is going with 30.

[ 04-29-2002, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Kelsoph-Syn- ]
Old 04-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #23
DeSoya
Manshoon

So I guess you could call this a mid to high level campaign. [img]smile.gif[/img] I wonder if they just couldn't make up their minds.

DeSoya
Old 04-29-2002, 10:04 PM   #24
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Madriver:

Galadria, I think you might be confused from reading the above, correct me if I'm wrong. The points you get from gaining 4 levels are not the same as the starting ones. So when my character gets to 4th level he can use the one ability point to go from 17 to 18 strength...it doesn't take multiple ones...he doesn't have to save for 12 levels.

I'd buff up your wisdom some more and don't worry too much about the dex...the cleric will be wearing armor after all.
No, no, I said that was why you wanted the "crucial" statistics to be as high as possible, so that you could advance them at 4th, 8th, etc.
So, Saving-Grace would increase her STR at 4th level, Viconia her WIS.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 10:29 PM   #25
Madriver
Manshoon

Galadria, sorry, my fault, misinterpreted.

For your characters...I would drop both of their dex's and up another stat (wis or con). I have a feeling that you will eventually have some kind of heavy armor for them? possibly plate? The extra spells with the greater wisdom will help alot.

Clerical char are tough, too many stats that you want to buff.

Paladins were fun to create in BG2, they would have great rolls because most of the stats were automatically raised to minimums after the rolls.

I was thinking of a dwarven wizard with a toughness feat and 1 level of fighter eventually, a tough little guy.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:55 PM   #26
mreball
Elite Waterdeep Guard

would rate your player but I am new to 3rd edition rules with the point system. I remember roling 4d6's 12 times. [img]smile.gif[/img]

sorry about not being of any help.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:18 PM   #27
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Here's an unofficial list of feats that will be in NWN:
http://24.94.19.254/vow/vagabondia/featlist.htm
Old 05-01-2002, 01:27 AM   #28
DeSoya
Manshoon

Looks like the entire list of feats from the Players HandBook. I would add a word of caution/good cheer for those fighter hopefuls. The power attack feat is variable between zero and your base attack bonus. If it were stuck at a limit of 5 it would be totally useless. Especially for a first level character. I guess it's possible that the do have a fixed number for a power attack. If they do then I think they're making a mistake and certainly not taking advantage of the wonderous power of computers.

DeSoya
Old 05-02-2002, 07:17 AM   #29
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

hows Angelique 's then for a human pally str19
dex 18
con 19
intell 3
wis 17
cha 18
I assume I wll have to work on intell [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 07:29 AM   #30