Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Atalanta
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just crossed over to the island in HoW to look for the mage shaman banished by the barbarians. Find my party is moving much more slowly than normal while the Barrow Wights race round making mincemeat of us! Is this a bug or normal? Can someone help? Thanks.
Atalanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Atalanta,

A friendly note: your post contains a minor spoiler; so title and/or body should be edited to warn people and give them a reasonable chance to NOT see it. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] See my example, below.

My most advanced party is in Severed Hand, so don't know the answer to your question from experience; but, just after I got done scratching my head, I chanced upon this quote from Keraptisdm on a different forum
(spoiler)...
Do you have the Heart of Winter expansion? If so, wait till you get to the Barrow Wights on the Burial Isle. Fight a few, heal, fight a few, rest. Fight a few, heal, fight a few, rest. They seem to be double hasted, and do about 20 points of damage a pop. Ugh.

Looks like it's not a bug. I'm starting to sweat. Now I'm REALLY glad that among my various parallel parties I can find a priest, paladin and a ranger with cadaverous undead as racial enemy! My mage will also need to stock some "slow" (and maybe even the dreaded "haste") spells, too!

Party On!

[ 11-07-2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

If you have a cleric cast Undead ward, than use turn undead and have everyone stand behind the ward while one person lures the undead to the ward. You should probaly cast haste on your party as well for those wrights that make their saving throw and make it past the ward. Have every in your party concentrate on one wright at a time except the cleric who should just be turning undead. For the occasional undead spell caster have your mage send magic missels or other spells at him to disable his spell casting. Summons will help to however don't summon undead if you are using the ward as they will just be destroyed. I am wondering what level you are at as well. It as best to do most of IWD (up to obtaining the six keys) before doing HoW.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:58 PM   #4
Keraptisdm
Elminster

When I first installed HoW and went to the Burial Isle, the difference in the speed between monsters and party was very disturbing. So much so, I logged onto (either Black Isle's or Interplay's) web site, and read through their Q & A section. For the life of me, I cannot recall what settings they said to change in the config utility, but once done, it helped some. But those dang things sure are fast. Others on this forum should be able to assist more than me. And don't try to date any of the Wailing Virgins on the Isle either.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:08 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

The high-speed wights are normal. Your parties slow movement is probably because that area is overloaded with enemies and most computers cant cope. Turn down every graphics option the game has and you should find it easier.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #6
Atalanta
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry not to have put the "spoiler" warning on the post thanks NobleNick for keeping me up to scratch and brilliant of you to have come up with that quote - for my party it's the perfect way to handle these plaguey monsters, in fact we're disposing of them in short order.
Thanks everyone for your input - back to the killing fields!!
Atalanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:09 PM   #7
Roboghost
Manshoon

Island cleaning technique (spoiler)
And TWO more
Mix the following ingredients (and a fast computer folks):

One Mage
Boots of Speed (or Boots of the Fox--extra AC point, AND...see below)
Edion's Ring of Wizardry
Dimension Door (spell)
Sunfire (spell)
Mass Invisibility (spell)

You'll need the invisibility spell to sneak to the island's wizard shop for the Sunfire spell and ring (doubles your number of Sunfire spells--the spell that won't hurt you if you drop it at your feet). Just burn and run (or use the handy Door spell). Don't let them see the whites of your eyes though--they will be having Mage Dead Soup for that night’s meal. Just make sure your mage gets all the best protection stuff and such as well as long lasting protection spells for the Come-on-baby-light-my-fire Mage! P.s. I stole this idea, but added the two other spells (I think they hasted the mage somehow--but I prefer the boot idea. If you have the Fox Boots--you can swig down speed potions and have the fastest thing you have ever seen in Icewind Dale [with no pooped out penalty either]).
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote