Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

I reinstalled baldurs gate + TOB yesterday. I downloaded both the official patches, the normal patch and the beta patch.

I have never installed the beta patch before, but I thought "what the heck".

Then after both of those I selectively downloaded some baldurdash fixes and put them in my override directory.

All seemed good and fine, I started a new game as a sorcerer and went through I renicus's dungeon.

Then after all that I was in one of the taverns in wakeens prominade. It was the one with that dwarf and his party that you can kill for some nice stuff. I was gonna take em out so I saved the game. Then I made a mistake and so I reloaded. When I reloaded my screen was on the far side of wakeens prominade. This was certainly strange, but I clicked on one of my characters and my screen switched back into the tavern.

I have never seen that problem before so many years of playing this game ( not sure how many but its been a LOT ).

Then after some running around I went to the temple district. I went to the sewers to rest up before going to kill those guys with celestial fury.

So after resting I was going to save the game with quicksave, and lo and behold it told me "you cannot save at this time". So I go up out of the sewers and wait a while but I still could not save. After not being to save for about 2 minutes I quit the game.

I am now reinstalling SOA + TOB.

I have a feeling it is the beta patch. I have played this game with the same setup many times, the only difference is I did not have the beta patch installed.

Has anyone else had any experiences of this kind with the beta patch?
TinyMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

IIRC you don't need the beta if you have ToB installed.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I've had problems saving in the Temple District sometimes as well. It usually happens after the Unseeing Eye speech with Gaal. I just waited five minutes or so and I was able to save. I never had any other bugs though in that game.

You just need (if you have TOB installed) the final TOB patch and it would be a good idea to install the bladurdash TOB fixpack (if you haven't already) from www.baldurdash.org

This patch fixes many of the bugs that wern't fixed by the offical patch. Note: Make sure you install the fixpack AFTER the offical patch.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

My question basically was if anyone knows any bugs with the beta patch.

The normal TOB patch is version 26498

The beta patch for TOB is version 26499

Has anyone else had any trouble with version 26499?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:41 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The Beta Patch is not for everyone, only for a select minority. Read the footnotes.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
The Beta Patch is not for everyone, only for a select minority. Read the footnotes.
I DID!

It does not say anything about known bugs thats why I asked here. Jeez.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TinyMage:
quote:
I DID!

It does not say anything about known bugs thats why I asked here. Jeez.
[/QUOTE]Did you read this part then?

Quote:
Extracted from Bioware
~~ Note: Please keep in mind that this patch has received limited testing and so is marked as BETA. You should only install this if you are having very slow save and load times in Throne of Bhaal. FF0000">If you are not experiencing these problems, do not install this. ~~
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Did you read this part then?
Are you just trying to annoy me?

Yes I read that.

Where does that mention known bugs with the beta patch?

Where does that tell me if the problems I had might be because of the beta patch?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

Tinymage, don't come on here asking for help then start abusing the people that help you.

There probably isn't a list that you want, due to the limited testing stated.

They haven't tested it properly, so they do not know what bugs the patch can cause. Hence BETA.

If you read that, why did you bother installing it if you are not suffering from the slow load/save times.

Bioware states that this is the only reason you should install this patch, yet your "what the heck" statement indicates you just installed it for the crack.

[ 07-16-2005, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]
Old 07-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Tinymage, don't come on here asking for help then start abusing the people that help you.
I asked a simple question, are there any known bugs in the beta patch. I did not ask for help, or input, or anyones opinion.

The problem is YOU NOT READING MY POST, and then posting something that is not relevant to my question.

Quote:

There probably isn't a list that you want, due to the limited testing stated.

They haven't tested it properly, so they do not know what bugs the patch can cause. Hence BETA.
So in like 4 years of this patch being out NOONE has noticed any problems??

Okay, if that is true then thats all I asked to know.

Quote:
If you read that, why did you bother installing it if you are not suffering from the slow load/save times.

Bioware states that this is the only reason you should install this patch, yet your "what the heck" statement indicates you just installed it for the crack.
So, where did I say I did not have a problem with slow load times?

Installed it for the crack? What the heck does that mean?

And how is it relevant to my original question?

Its a pet peeve of mine, but on message boards sometimes people respond to questions before reading and comprehending the entire post. Maybe they are in a hurry and they have seen what they think is a similar question before, so they post a cut-and-paste response.

Perhaps I gave too much information the first time.

Here is all I wanted to know:

Are there any known bugs in the beta patch?

[ 07-16-2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: TinyMage ]