Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 05-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
Borg
The Magister

Note the spoiler subject line!

What if Imoen dies in Chateau Irenicus and you leave her there? What happens in the sequence when you leave the Chateau and the rest of the story? Is it then just all about the main character and finding out what is going on?
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

She doesn't die. She *can't* die in Chateau Irenicus... Ctrl-Y her to check.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Borg:
Note the spoiler subject line!

What if Imoen dies in Chateau Irenicus and you leave her there? What happens in the sequence when you leave the Chateau and the rest of the story? Is it then just all about the main character and finding out what is going on?
That's exactly *why* she can't die. Therefore, the designers put a special belt on Imoen to prevent her from getting insta-killed in Chateau Irenicus, and if she's knocked down to 1 HP, she flees the dungeon. Either way, she'll survive to the top.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
Borg
The Magister

Hmmm. I'm playing evil (this time). Maybe I'll have to work out some frustration by backstabing her down to 1 hp! I'm already thinking of leaving Jahiera to rest with her hubby...

[ 05-17-2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Borg ]
Old 05-18-2003, 04:06 AM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

You can easily leave Imoen and do the rest of the game without her, should you choose to abandon her in Irenicus' Dungeon. Ditch Jaheira and get Viconia, you won't find a better cleric in the game (although Jaheira's Fire Elementals aare quite nice)

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Regardless of any of your decisions you will meet Imoen again in Spellhold. You can leave her there for good inside the maze but this will arise some unrest among good party members especially Jaheira and can even result in their parting.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:10 AM   #6
Borg
The Magister

Yeah, I was surprised about Jaheira. I intended to really piss her off when we found Khalid's body and then send her to the grave with him, but instead I took it really far and she left the party hoping to never see me again. She got the last word, as always. How annoying! I'm now interested to see if we run into each other again (please don't spoil about that if there is one).

That said, I'm now feeling mixed emotions about playing evil -- it's not my character. Inspired by SixOfSpades, I thought of some great abuses, but now I'm not sure I can pull them off. I'm already weakening and thinking of letting Minsc off easy -- I mean, who can toy with an imbecile afterall?

In a slight aside, I scored a critial backstab hit and got 58 hp of damage (in the Irenicus dungeon nontheless!) on a weakened Imoen. That was morbidly fun. She ran off, like was said.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:02 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Borg:
That said, I'm now feeling mixed emotions about playing evil -- it's not my character. Inspired by SixOfSpades, I thought of some great abuses, but now I'm not sure I can pull them off. I'm already weakening and thinking of letting Minsc off easy -- I mean, who can toy with an imbecile afterall?
[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]
Yeah, it takes a certain mindset to play evil. It's very difficult to do, actually, because most of us are raised to at least try to do the right thing (even if you don't succeed). Not everyone can pull off the separation required to play evil. I know that I have a hard time, thus my penchant for all-good parties (even when I played with the evil NPCs, I played neutral and just took all of the evil NPCs). Best bet might be to keep that game on the side if you are having trouble with it, dusting it off when you have one of those "I just want to kill all living things" kind of days. That's up to you, but I can definitely sympathize with your feelings about playing evil! [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Borg
The Magister

Nerull, that's not a bad idea! Keep the game off to the side for my bad days!

At least I have learned more about my base character. Never really expected that out of this escape.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:47 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thing is, there are as many ways to play "evil" as there is to play "good." Trouble is, most of us have this view of evil as synonymous with "raving psychotic." Yes, it is hard to play that way, but even evil characters have senses of humor, albeit a bit "twisted." Someone who might play "lawful evil", for example, could be played as a conniving and manipulative SOB, who's totally charming on the outside. (Like Alexis (Joan Collins) on Dynasty). An evil person might keep Minsc around just to laugh at his stupidity and make fun of him, but would go to great lengths to preserve him because of the joke factor. Even Chaotic Evil characters have charm; look at Korgan and his bawdy sense of humor. So it's ok to play evil; just have fun with it. And you DON'T have to run your rep into the ground. A truly intelligent evil person wouldn't...they'd keep it around 8-10 by sanctimoniously donating at temples (Talos, of course!) and then feeling free to do their nefarious deeds. Only a total imbecilic or psychotic evil person would let their rep drop to 1 and try to take on the hordes of "do-gooders" coming after them.

The important thing is, whatever you play, is that you have fun with it. If it becomes a chore, try something different.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:09 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Thing is, there are as many ways to play "evil" as there is to play "good." Trouble is, most of us have this view of evil as synonymous with "raving psychotic." Yes, it is hard to play that way, but even evil characters have senses of humor, albeit a bit "twisted." Someone who might play "lawful evil", for example, could be played as a conniving and manipulative SOB, who's totally charming on the outside. (Like Alexis (Joan Collins) on Dynasty). An evil person might keep Minsc around just to laugh at his stupidity and make fun of him, but would go to great lengths to preserve him because of the joke factor. Even Chaotic Evil characters have charm; look at Korgan and his bawdy sense of humor. So it's ok to play evil; just have fun with it. And you DON'T have to run your rep into the ground. A truly intelligent evil person wouldn't...they'd keep it around 8-10 by sanctimoniously donating at temples (Talos, of course!) and then feeling free to do their nefarious deeds. Only a total imbecilic or psychotic evil person would let their rep drop to 1 and try to take on the hordes of "do-gooders" coming after them.

The important thing is, whatever you play, is that you have fun with it. If it becomes a chore, try something different.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Actually, I tried doing it the manipulative way, and that is what bothered me. Just killing things doesn't really bother me too much (oops, sorry old man...). It was the insidious, scheming part that got to me the most. I try my best to be honest (to a fault sometimes, just ask my last girlfriend), and generally have a problem with screwing others over for my profit. Just killing them is very impersonal; you just say "oh look, a noble!" and kill him. Easy. Never got to know him, never connected with him in any way, might as well have been a goblin. However, pretending to be his friend while the whole time plotting his ruin and/or demise, now that bothers me. I keep stating that I will play one time as an evil guy (rep around 6, just so I can be disliked but not have guards hounding me), but I always end up abandoning the game, just because I can't see myself doing some of the nasty things required to be true manipulative evil. I had the same problem with PS:T; I have only done the good path through that game, because I couldn't see doing stuff like poisoning people and selling my companions into slavery.

But hey, to each his/her own. I actually did get quite a few chuckles reading the posts from SixofSpades.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote