Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I'me currently in the process of looking for a dog. The trouble is, I'me not sure what breed I want. Can anyone on IW help me out with this? Here is the following criteria:

Activity: A lot. I'me training for Cross Country Running, and Run at least 2k daily. Daily walks are a normal occurence, usually up to 4 k.
Temperment: Nice, very playful. This is VERY important. I want a nice, playful and energetic dog not dominant. However, breeds that bark are a must.
Shedding: Not really all that important.
Colors: Now is where it becomes important. I am currently in love with the husky/ malamute look, and like sturdy dogs (like a rottweiler) as well as sprinters (greyounds and ibizans). An attractive color scheme (striking as well) is nesecary. I absolutely despise "fluffy dogs".
Weather: I currently live in Canada, so the breed has to be able to survive in a cold (up to -30 degrees celcius) enviornment.
What I'm currently looking at: I'm leaning more towards a husky, as they have energy, are playful and enjoy the cold.

If anyone could help me out with a breed suggestion, I would much appreciate it, thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well, besides teh Husky, only a Retriever would fit what you said. Not exactly in the cold bit much, but it's still a great dog.
But I adore huskys. Their eyes are simply beautifull!
Old 01-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I concur, it sounds like a golden retriever would be an excellent choice. I had one... He was the sweetest creature you could ever imagine. If you learn more about the breed and decide it might be for you, I suggest you adopt... They're a little demanding as puppies and prone to epilepsy, so by adopting an adult you'll not only bypass the troublesome stage, but be forewarned of any health problems.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I heard huskies are a bit harder to train, so if it's your first dog then maybe a husky wouldn't be such a good choice. They tend to be a bit naughty. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

I think another could fit: the American Eskimo.

I was about to suggest it anyway, because mine's great, but when I read what you were looking for...he matches that description really well.

They love the cold, very energetic, mine's super-friendly, bury their waste, barks at anything unfamiliar and dangerous animals, but not frivolously as long as he knows it's you. Now, all this and he's not even trained. Not even a little bit. lol. Oh, and he plays soccer!

Not sure what you consider fluffy, but he's hairy as all get-out. A large raccoon attacked him once, and couldn't get through all of the hair around his head. Now...-30 C isn't something that's been tested in Dallas, but protected from wind, he's been fine around 10 F. Not sure how far that goes on the cold end, but we provide extra shelter if it's above 100 F.

As for looks, he's pretty husky-esque, with a grey eye and a green one. Pure white coat that sheds very much in the spring, and a tail that curls upwards, from the Spitz breed I think.

One caveat is that I haven't tested his physical limits to runs of that length. Most is about 1 mile, but not something he's used to, as that doesn't happen very often.

Just something to think about...but as I consider it, an Am Eskimo is a lot like a husky, but smaller. That's going to limit what it can take in the cold, and how long it's going to be able to run without stopping. You may want to take the Husky (or Spitz even, though I don't know much about them), as a 'full sized' version of what I'm talking about. If you do, please don't let its nails/claws get out of hand. I get scratched badly every time I meet an indoor Husky. Husky's can be a little on the dominant side though, can't they?

[ 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
Sir Degrader

My parents have a retriever, she likes to sit around and gets fat, I've tried taking her running, but she just slowly waddles behind lol. Each dog to their own I suppose. I've searched around for quite abit, and know abit about each dog, so stories and personal experiance's like Illumina's/Lucern's would be much appreciated.

[ 01-07-2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Old 01-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Try this:
Dog breed selector

It selects the right breeds for you based on what you want the dog to be. Maybe you'll find something. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
Sir Degrader

It's a pretty good test, but the selections they gave me seem to have many dominance/agression issues, which is something I'me trying to avoid.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Huskies are great. They can take the cold weather easily, and are pretty energetic as well. Also, a smaller breed of a similar type, a Simoyad (I know I spelled that wrong!). It's a slightly smaller husky-type dog. I had one growing up (Sparky), and MAN did he have energy! I'd ride on my dad's snowmobile when it snowed a lot, in the cornfields (the cut rows were fun for skidding along the humps! whooohoo!) and he'd keep right up with me and never grow tired, was amazing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Plenty of activity. sturdy, enjoys cold... you want a Jack Russel with a woolen jumper. [img]smile.gif[/img]