Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 08:50 AM   #31
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Oh! That actually prompted a question, Gwhanos....

Memnoch, do you frequently run across creepies like funnel webs often 'down there'?

Not that often. I tend to be quite fastidious about my apartment (since it's so cool ) and so I always keep the bathrooms clean. They usually hide beneath the toilet rim. Another dangerous species is the redback, but they tend to be found more often in suburbia where people have big lawns and I live at the edge of Sydney Harbour.

I've had an experience with a box jellyfish while swimming at Bondi beach, now that's an experience I'll never forget. I felt like I was being electrocuted.

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 08:55 AM   #32
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Hmmm.... What's the food like in Australia? That's something I've GOT to know if I'm going to go there some day.

Excellent - it's like western food fused with Asian for its own unique taste. Of course, you still can't beat the old barbeque...

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 08:56 AM   #33
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Not that often. I tend to be quite fastidious about my apartment (since it's so cool ) and so I always keep the bathrooms clean. They usually hide beneath the toilet rim. Another dangerous species is the redback, but they tend to be found more often in suburbia where people have big lawns and I live at the edge of Sydney Harbour.

I've had an experience with a box jellyfish while swimming at Bondi beach, now that's an experience I'll never forget. I felt like I was being electrocuted.

When I lived in Chatswood in Sydney as a kid the garage downstairs had a couch in it. Of course that happened to be the only place for me to get away from my little brother but one time i woke up there with a red back on my chest. We killed it and put it in a jar of turps.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.

[This message has been edited by AzureWolf (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 11:03 AM   #34
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
When I lived in Chatswood in Sydney as a kid the garage downstairs had a couch in it. Of course that happened to be the only place for me to get away from my little brother but one time i woke up there with a red back on my chest. We killed it and put it in a jar of turps.

Chatswood!?! So you went from a thriving metropolis to a tiny hamlet and are working your way back up, are you?

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 01:54 PM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
[B]It was excellent thank you very much!

Umm...what else did you want to know?

It was awesome. We went on a tour down to Litchfield National Park, Kakadu National Park, Pine Creek and down to Katherine Gorge. Went for a cruise down the East Alligator River, which has crocodiles, not alligators - an American explorer was cruising down this river and saw crocodiles which he thought were alligators, hence the name. Fed some saltwater crocs, NOT by hand - I saw one which was 4m long, and those things can JUMP out of the water, baby! Saw a dingo and some dingo pups by the side of the road. Saw heaps of wallabies, some right outside the door of our lodge in Kakadu (which was in the middle of nowhere). Saw frillnecked lizards, which run like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park - on their hind legs.
Wow! Sounds breathtaking and the pics are wonderful Mems! LOL at the velociraptor comparison!

Quote:
Did a cruise down Yellow Water Billabong. Australia's Top End is actually much more than outback, it's composed of savannah woodlands, monsoon rainforests, stone country (the Arnhem Land Escarpment), and what they call floodplains - which are dry during the dry season and flooded during the wet, several metres deep. No other part of the world goes through such an amazing climatic change than these floodplains - you can see mangroves and their roots during the dry season...
I've always been amazed at how big and diverse Australia actually is!

Quote:
...and during the wet they are immersed in water almost to their tops. No wonder the Aborigines call the monsoon season the "big wet". Think of how much water is needed to fill these massive plains with that much water. Billabongs are permanent bodies of water within these floodplains - you're seeing them in the dry season.

We did a lot of hiking and got to do some awesome canoeing down the Katherine Gorge.
Sounds like a pretty active vacation! Just what you needed, too.

Quote:
It was so pristine and idyllic. There are freshwater crocodiles in these waters but they're pretty harmless if left alone (they only grow up to about 1 metre long). There are lots of little beaches on the side of this very long river gorge.
Again, great pics. Did you swim with the crocs? Or not quite that daring?!

Quote:
Finally we went back to Darwin and spent the last few days there. Met a bunch of gorgeous Swedish, Dutch and Italian girls backpacking around Australia but seeing as I'm a faithful kind of guy (to my gf Taryn in Canada) swapping digits and a promise of friendship and a good night out when they come to Sydney in a month's time was as far as I got. Being on a harbour cruise watching a Darwin sunset like the below was certainly conducive to romance but I resisted temptation - you guys should be proud of me!
Yup, very proud. 'course knowing you as I do, I'd have expected no less. Purrrty cool, genieboy, purrrty cool. Taryn's one lucky girl! Hmm.. but now you'll have an excuse to party again when those travelers hit Sydney! *pictures bleary eyed Mems at his desk for several days running and laughs* Like you need and excuse to party!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-04-2001, 02:02 PM   #36
www.cffl.com

WOW, from the look of those pictures i dont know how you couldn't of had fun!

------------------

HADB Clan Rulz

[This message has been edited by www.cffl.com (edited 10-04-2001).]