Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-03-2001, 09:06 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I am doing the 3rd quest for Aran Linvail in Chapter 3. I have cleared out the upper level of the vampire lair and staked the 2 vamps.
There is this big room with spikes on the right of the level. It is trapped as every once in a while a trap will spring, injuring someone in my party. But Jan cannot find any traps and neither can Aerie even though she has cast 'Find Traps'.
Can these traps be detected and disarmed, like the 'normal' traps? I want to sanitise the area first before I proceed down to the next level.
Thanks in advance.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 07-03-2001, 09:11 PM   #2
joetbd
Manshoon

I was just in the same room (but in a different chapter), and I did not find the traps either. I dont remember that being a problem the first time I played through the game.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:19 PM   #3
Eladamri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In the versus book, it said not to worry about the traps, since they only hit for a couple points of damage. I must be doing something wrong, because they hit my characters for around 20-30 damage each time. Is there a way around this?
Old 07-03-2001, 09:21 PM   #4
skier9205
Manshoon

There's no way to detect the traps, not that I've found. Just cast haste on one character and draw the vamp out. If you run over them the traps may not even activate. (I think I activated about two traps).
Old 07-04-2001, 05:07 AM   #5
Trunks the Fighter
Dungeon Master

HEL-LO?????
the reason why you take damage is to simulate your character tripping over, or standing on a spike by accident, and getting impaled, taking approximately 20-45 damage.
Old 07-04-2001, 06:40 AM   #6
Gustave
The Magister

Keep moving in some way, either by attacking or walking. the only time my characters were hit for huge amounts of dmg is when they stood around doing nothing.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:08 AM   #7
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

after realizing these traps weren't detecable, i went for my too-dangerous-to-fight-in-there tactic, which is to cast clairvoyance so i can send in a summoned monster to draw the vampire out. a hasted character (or boots of speed) has a very low chance of setting one off, but considering they hit for 30 pts of damage...
Old 07-04-2001, 08:09 AM   #8
joetbd
Manshoon

Thats odd, I did not take any damage when standing still.

I guess the real answer is: get in and get out, and be ready to heal. Because we know this much, you can't disarm them. Or if you can, know one has said how.
Old 07-04-2001, 10:22 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Cheesy tip,

Just summon 5 creatures and throw them into the room spike room...

Meanwhile, make sure your party is in the room with the long table out of sight and drinking tea and generally making merry.

... if a summon dies, summon another and replace the slained in battle, for some irrational reason by the way, summons do not trigger the traps in the 'Spike Room'. If you run out of summons and summoning spells, just rest and then proceed to summon more!

Of course you could join them in the fray, but due to the annoying risk of being level-drained and the fact that you may have an spike stuck up you a**, letting your gee-they-are-immuned-to-traps-summons do the dirty work or you seems more preferable.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 07-04-2001, 12:17 PM   #10
Vampire

I found a pattern...map it out...it's not entirely randomn...but I think changes in Chapter 6 for the harder