Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Default Smokers, Former smokers and non-smokers...

I've been wondering about this and would like some input!

The last three days on my way home from work I've had to stop in traffic behind a car where the driver tossed a cigarette butt out on the road or grass and wondered... is this the norm? I don't really think everyone who smokes tosses the butts out the window, but lately I'm seeing so many, it got me thinking about it. Don't they have ash trays in those cars and why don't they use them?

I'm not a smoker and am allergic to cigarette smoke but I'm not trying to do a rag on smokers theme here. .... just really wonder what's going on with these people's thought processes. Why toss it out on the road if you do have an ash tray? I know the ash trays are pretty disgusting to empty.. but uh.. isn't that just a part of the whole smoking thing.. you have to dispose of the ash and butts.. so why not have a little more thought for others and do it properly?

I was thinking that you do see other trash on the roads and side of the roads too (which I think is awful) , but I rarely see people tossing garbage bags or cups and hamburger wrappers out the window on my way home. And I see the cigarette butts sailing out the window all the time.

A friend noted that the crew who put in her swimming pool was very courteous, efficient and did a great job, but they left a ton of cig butts on her lawn. Is it just the preferred method of disposal these days- drop it where you stand or toss it out the window?

I was thinking it may be sort of the same thinking process? You know the 'I don't want it in MY car" so they toss it out (trash or cig) but I dunno, what do you think?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Re: Smokers, Former smokers and non-smokers...

Well I used to smoke and I always used an ashtray, I never tossed a butt out the window. For one it is littering and I hate littered streets and trash everywhere! And two, it can start serious fires, especially if near a forest. Every car comes with an ashtray, so there is no excuse. Heck the car I drive now has a really sucky ashtray, because it is very small, but deep. So eventually when it gets full, there will come a time that when you go to put out a cigg, you end up instead setting the butts in the ashtray on fire. A nice deep ashtray works great for smoldering fires LOL. And of course most butts are just filters, so it is burning filters. The smell of burning filters is really unique, like burning hair, and equally gross. Anyway, when I smoked I had a large ashtray that was heavy so it wouldn't fly around when I made a sharp turn, and I had it sitting on the passenger seat next to me. No filter fires with that. WAs easy to put out a cigg while driving.

So I don't think all smokers do it. Some people just don't give a crap and are litterers and some are not. LOL, for instance, on my way to work there is this point where I have to enter a large left hand turn lane. Light for that lane is on a pole. Median strip is pretty large and to the left of me. Every week or so somebody has been putting their banana on the median strip. Each day on my way to work I see it more and more deteriorated. Eventually it will disappear....only to be replaced again a few weeks later wth another fresh banana! LOL, what's up with that? It's littering and a waste of a good banana dammit!

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

I'm a smoker, and ashamed to admit that i've been guilty of such littering in the past, but at the same time proud to announce that i've reeducated myself and haven't littered in years. Representing a cleaningcompany i'd look like a total dick if i'd still do things like that, wouldn't i?

But having been in such situations, i can say that it's mostly a matter of not using your head. 9 out of 10 times it's just ignorance, lazyness, stupidity, or a combination of said handicaps. Smokers are not out there to piss you off, damage your health or your car, or anything else they are often accused of, they just have to learn that times are changing, that their behaviour isn't taken for granted anymore. The antismoke division on the other hand could also learn a thing or two when it comes to patience, but that's another story.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, johnny! I figured it was mostly the 'lazy' factor or maybe the 'I just don't like emptying a dirty ash tray' syndrome! Didn't think all smokers were consciously out to irritate me or the rest of the world! but I wondered.. because it seems so prevalent and it just struck me the last few days on my way home that I'd been seeing it more often, or at least taking note of it more than I used to.

LadyZ, I think all cars have ash trays (am being a bit sarcastic there! LOL). But I didn't realize you could start a fire in one like that. Whew .. you learn something new every day!

I guess it just seems so silly to toss something on the ground when you have a receptacle available for proper disposal, but I wondered about the 'why' behind it for those who did it.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

Yeah Amber, when you have a butt to put out, it is still "lit" on the end, still burning. When you put a butt out, it's best to put it flat on a surface so that the fire is smothered out. When a small car ashtray is full, and you are driving, a smoker may try to just push the still lit butt into the middle of a bunch of dead butts, instead of pressing it against the sides of the ashtray to smother the fire. When a person does this, pushing a lit butt onto a dead butt filter, well of course it only lights that filter on fire. So instead of putting a fire out, you've passed the fire along from butt to butt. And it's not really a fire, per se, just a LOT of smoke. Will fill the interior of your car up in seconds with it's lovely smell LOL. It's more of an annoyance than a danger, but still...

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Still, I can see where you wouldn't want to do that more than once!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I hate it too, especially when its stil burning and I'll see red embers and think they'll hit my car. Thats what really pisses me off, anything having to do with my car. Although, I chew tobacco from time to time, and I might throw that out the window.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbringer View Post
Still, I can see where you wouldn't want to do that more than once!

Oh I did it a ton of times when I smoked LOL. I'd try to turn the car ashtray lid down, thinking I was cutting off oxygen from the ashtray and maybe that would stop the fire. It would only work though if the cigg filter fire hadn't spread too much. If it spread well though, it was a smoke billowing extravaganza that would choke (and embarrass) you. And of course again you are driving down the road so can't really "tend" to it much, so you have to just endure your own stupidity LOL.

That's why finally I decided on the passenger seat heavy ashtray. Worked great.

Gotta say though, since I quit my windows on the inside are much easier to clean!

Reality Show Recaps

Last edited by Ladyzekke; 08-23-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yep I would do it too, when I used to smoke. Only because I had no ashtray in my car. The car was kinda new and I guess smoking isn't "cool" anymore so it never came with an obvious ashtray. Would I do it now? No. After I gave up I began to notice how the butts tend to accumulate everywhere. They stay around for a long time too, like plastic litter. You seem to be in denial of alot of things when you smoke, such as the damage to your health, the smell and the mess your leftovers can create.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, LZ, yah, I would think your engine was on fire if I saw smoke billowing out...

Spiritwarrior, I have one in my new car but I also have a little section with a springloaded lid that says "This is not an ash tray' on it too! LOL