Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-02-2003, 12:16 PM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

This is not normal anymore (well, to be honest, it has never BEEN normal).. My computer has the most annoying glitch/bug/whatever which causes it to restart spontaneously at any given moment. When I'm watching a movie on my computer. When I'm playing a game. When I've played a game, and going back to Windows. Heck, even when I'm just typing this, I'm not quite sure how long it will last until it goes wacko again.
Problem is though, that I haven't got the faintest clue what is going on. I have addressed this problem before on IW, but then the drivers were mentioned as the probable source of the problem, but as my computer restarts in any given program (be it Word, BGII, Warcraft 3, doesn't matter) I don't think that's it. Overheating could be it, but my computer now reaches a maximum of 60 degrees Celcius, and I personally don't think that's very high.
I have Windows XP installed so maybe that's the problem, but I really don't know anymore, and I'm out of ideas of what to do. In desperate need of help, I ask you guys, who probably know a lot more of computers than I do, to give me a hand (or more perhaps). Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Link

P.S. Further info on my comp: it's a AMD Athlon 1500+, 256 MB Ram internal memory, 80 Gig Hard drive, Geforce 2 MX video card. That's about it, I guess.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I have the same problem, on top of my entire system freezing for no reason. I use windows 2k.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

60C maybe enough for motherboard to behave weirdly. But I still think thats not the reason.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

And you don't know what's wrong either, do you Kaltia? It's really making me pissed off, because it usually wrecks my save games and worse (imagine doing NWN almost entirely over again, because your save game became corrupt.. AARGH!! [img]graemlins/scream.gif[/img] )

Old 02-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

With me, I completely lost BG2, cut off several downlaods, lost most of my saved files and cwk, and have to duck out of conversations for no reason because it's either rebooted or frozen and had to be rebooted. Yipee, JOY.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
With me, I completely lost BG2, cut off several downlaods, lost most of my saved files and cwk, and have to duck out of conversations for no reason because it's either rebooted or frozen and had to be rebooted. Yipee, JOY.
Grumble.. Sounds horribly familiar.. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Grumble.. Sounds horribly familiar.. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]it'd be too easy to turn this into an "I hate Microsoft" thread

I've tried replacing both additional memory sticks. Someone else suggested I try a new power supply, does anyone know if this is a good idea?

For the record I' do a complete Norton anti-virus scan once a month.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
StigTC

I almost didn't post this when you talked about turning this into an I hate Microsoft thread.

But what the hell, Microsoft isn't the problem, I'm affraid it's motherboard issues. My friend had the same problems, switched motherboard, no more problems.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Well.. I think there never was any intent of changing this thread into an "I hate Microsoft" thing. It certainly wasn't my intention anyway. But switching mother boards should help, you say? Are you certain about that?

Old 02-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #10
StigTC

Well if it has always been acting like this then I would say yes. Especially if it's still within the warranty.

If not, then you might want to consult someone with better technological knowledge than me.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!