Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Looking at laptops...

Actually, I'm looking to replace my desktop. It's an old HP Pavilion from about 5 years ago. Still holding on for now, but I want something new. (I'll be saving for some time before I actually invest in one, but it doesn't hurt to get some ideas)

Right now, I'm eyeing one of the alienwares computers. Wanted something a little flashy this time around. Primary usage will be gaming and web-surfing with some light media usage (streaming hulu, listening to mp3's). Pretty much average home use. I divided on the alienware M14x or M17x. Seeing as how I can customize before ordering it really boils down to screen size vs. portability. Also, should I go with a solid state drive or stick with the the typical platter type drive? I've heard that while SSD, is more stable, and faster, repeated adding and deleting of data can cause them to wear out faster.

Many thanks for any feedback. I'll post the initial specs I'm thinking about when I have them.

Also if there is a good reason for me to NOT get alienware (cost aside) I'm open to hearing it, as well as suggested alternatives.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Looking at laptops...

I wouldn't get a laptop because the only things easily upgradable are the RAM and the HDD. Whatever video you get you're stuck with for the life of the lappy. IOW, future games will quickly outstrip the video power of the lappy.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

My laptop broke down 2 weeks ago and I got a new one which I am very happy with so far. It's an ASUS G53SX-XN1 that I got from Newegg for bit over $1000. Loving it, it plays pretty much all the latest games at high resolutions and is a beast at multitasking.

Link to it is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230099

Specs are:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 2GB GDDR5
8GB DDR3
500GB HD
1920 x 1080
15.6" LCD screen with LED backlight

I thought of getting alienware, but for the same specs I would have had to pay a lot more.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

So noted. Still, I want to go with a laptop this time.

So far, I'm looking at:
Alienware M14x
Processor: Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz
Wireless: Intel Advanced-N Wifi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Tech with WiMax
Memory: 6GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Vid Card: 3.0 GB DDR3 Nvidia Geforce GT 555M using Nvidia Optimus Tech
HDD: 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
Display: 14' HD (900p/1600x900) with WLED backligh
Optical Drive: 8x SuperMulti DVD R/RW slot load optical drive
Audio: Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio Software enabled

With Steam pre-installed

All that plus some other peripherals(gaming mouse, carrying case, MS Office home, McAfee, etc.) comes out to about $1729.97, ordered from dells website. Could be financed for as little as $52/month. I presume that's with an adequate credit score and appropriate down-payment. Having a lack of credit record, I imagine the financing option would be a little different (maybe non-existant).

Memnoch, Interesting to see that you got almost the same thing I threw together. And for a fraction of the price.... It pays to shop around. But I really like the look of the alienware.... So, it's looks vs. savings.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 11-19-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, I looked at the exact same thing you are looking at. I figured I would save the extra money which would pay for my WoW subscription and future SWTOR subscription and purchase of Skyrim lol.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you're looking at Alienware custom you might want to check out

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

They are rated higher than Alienware. I bought a desktop from them in June. Also let me know when you order so I can get the referal Great computer, great support. They let me know on ordering about a known problem on a component I selected and suggested a better and cheaper (by maybe $20) alternative which they did not have to do for my ignorant self. You get updates when they start building your comp from start to finish. A spiffy binder/notebook includes all your software loaded, including a Windows 7 disc. And you should see the packaging. I think it could fall out of the UPS truck at 65 mph with no harm.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I was in the same position and went with the Asus. The new Asus design looks good, keeps cool and still looks flashy with the backlit keyboard. You will also save a fair bit of money as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I'm new to laptops, having recently bought one strickly for work use, but if I were going to use mine for gaming, I would get a laptop cooling pad. I've been reading about them on newegg, but don't really have a reason to get one at this point. Still, I've noticed the fans intake air from the bottom of my Sony and send it out the left side. Sitting the laptop on my lap, or even on the couch...that probably isn't good for it because the air can't really get into the laptop like that. If I don't get a cooler, I need to at least get a pad of some kind to give it a hard surface so there is a bit of space to bring in air.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Define your need for "portability". You flying, driving all over the place with it, porting it to/from school/whatever, or something else?

"Portable" leads to small and lightweight. As a seasoned road warrior, I can tell you that every pound and ounce (or kilo if you prefer) matter. Bigger screen size, bigger machine, higher weight. And also shorter battery life to power that beast.

I've pretty much given up on desktops now. Still have one in use, but laptops will do the trick until they're old enough to retire... I've had more problems with desktops.

As for what you're looking for, what matters more? Looks or money?

I'd get the biggest machine I could (in memory and disk, CPU speed if you're going to do heavy-duty high-graphical gaming). Check the max memory on the machine... that's about the only thing you can realistically upgrade on a laptop. If it's alienware, so be it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I'm new to laptops, having recently bought one strickly for work use, but if I were going to use mine for gaming, I would get a laptop cooling pad. I've been reading about them on newegg, but don't really have a reason to get one at this point. Still, I've noticed the fans intake air from the bottom of my Sony and send it out the left side. Sitting the laptop on my lap, or even on the couch...that probably isn't good for it because the air can't really get into the laptop like that. If I don't get a cooler, I need to at least get a pad of some kind to give it a hard surface so there is a bit of space to bring in air.
I have that too. You need it for gaming laptops, esp. if they are multi core and run at high clock speeds. They are not all the same though! For those if you buy cheap you get useless. I have a Zalman and it works great. The previous two I bought (Belkin, Targus) were worse than useless.