Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
The Kiwi
The Magister

Are there lists anywhere of games that allow playing across LANs? If it's been asked before, I couldn't locate a SEARCH function. I am a fan of CRPG's, and little else (Run-and-gun shooters not included, thank you!) Age/ 2D-only characteristics of the games doesn't count against the games, unless it's really primitive-ugly. I know about NWN, Starcraft, and Warcraft. I have heard that adding the expansions to NWN reduces its stability across a LAN, which is really too bad!

Got some bookmarks for me? ("Favorites" if you haven't abandoned IE yet!)

The Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

hmm, i know unreal tournament works in lan....hmm
i'm pretty sure you can get most multiplayer games to work through lan... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I think BG might work. Try the original shooters (doom DUKE NUKEM!), more of an exmphasis on the actual experiance, not just the run and gun aspects. Diablo is also a multiplayer oriented game, as are some old skool racers.

[ 02-22-2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
The Kiwi
The Magister

(I didn't realize Diablo fit that description.) In regard to one suggestion, after waiting months for an AD&D title like I hoped the first BG was going to be, I ended up so annoyed at the user interface for BG that I made a scene at the store where I bought it back then, and got it exchanged for something else. So I never discovered its multiplayer aspects. When NWN came along, though, that one I was able to accept as designed . .

The thing is, I don't remember which games HAVE BEEN Multiplayer-enabled, if I haven't already named them here in this thread, or learned their names from the answers so far. It seems that this kind of old data is among the kind of thing that gets away through the memory leaks that are attacking somewhat earlier than a usual onset for "Old-Heimer's".

(I do consider UT in its various incarnations to be far more into squint & twitch than the CRPG's that I prefer, but thanks.)

Old 02-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by The Kiwi:
(I didn't realize Diablo fit that description.) In regard to one suggestion, after waiting months for an AD&D title like I hoped the first BG was going to be, I ended up so annoyed at the user interface for BG that I made a scene at the store where I bought it back then, and got it exchanged for something else. So I never discovered its multiplayer aspects. When NWN came along, though, that one I was able to accept as designed . .

The thing is, I don't remember which games HAVE BEEN Multiplayer-enabled, if I haven't already named them here in this thread, or learned their names from the answers so far. It seems that this kind of old data is among the kind of thing that gets away through the memory leaks that are attacking somewhat earlier than a usual onset for "Old-Heimer's".

(I do consider UT in its various incarnations to be far more into squint & twitch than the CRPG's that I prefer, but thanks.)
ohoh, lol i didn't see the Crpgs =p

well it's a fun shooter
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

You can play Empire Earth via a LAN as well with no problems.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

My personal Lan favorite these days is the rts Warhammer: Dawn of War.

You get to build squads and equip them with different weapons, you can even "paint" your units and their flag to make them different.

Diablo 2 is fun in multiplayer because it was made for it.

Games like Baldur's Gade and Icewind Dale were not, so multiplayers is messed up. The first player get to be the main characters and the others just follow. If someone get in a discussion it pause the game for everyone...
Old 02-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
The Kiwi
The Magister

Thanks for the answers so far.

The first entertainment literature I enjoyed, just slightly after finding comic books, was Science Fiction. In the past, I have played various strategy sims, oriented around SF themes, starting all the way back in the dawn of graphical games with Star Flight. In more recent years, I have started one or two "RTS" types without getting much sense of satisfaction from the play. I own a copy of Starcraft, never finished it.

I was grown and had a couple of kids before "Adult Fantasy" caught my attention, which was a few years before the advent of the original D & D, which I also got involved in for several years after the kids were somewhat bigger. My all-time favorite game would be a multi-place tie between half a dozen Gold Box games and Might and Magic's sixth CRPG. I really prefer the turn-based mode over any other.

I'm not sure that I ever acquired a copy of Diablo to test it. Generally, I've been unimpressed with the adventure game variety that console players have been calling "RPG's", and it seems to me now that I classified Diablo with Final Fantasy and its ilk. Am I misjudging it?

Old 02-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

By Adult fantasy, what exactly do you mean?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
The Kiwi
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by The Kiwi:
Thanks for the answers so far.

I was grown and had a couple of kids before "Adult Fantasy" caught my attention, which was a few years before the advent of the original D & D, which I also got involved in for several years after the kids were somewhat bigger. My all-time favorite game would be a multi-place tie between half a dozen Gold Box games and Might and Magic's sixth CRPG. I really prefer the turn-based mode over any other.
[q]

Lord of the Rings
was the trilogy that literally moved Fantasy off the Fairy Tales for children shelf into the (more or less) mainstream of fictional literature. Prior to the bootlegged Ace paperbacks' reissue of LOTR in the 1960's, I'd only occasionally picked up copies of F&SF magazine, and read some of those stories, after LOTR, I added the magazine IF and several others that featured fantasy writing to my regular reading schedule.
[/q]

I'm not sure that I ever acquired a copy of Diablo to test it. Generally, I've been unimpressed with the adventure game variety that console players have been calling "RPG's", and it seems to me now that I classified Diablo with Final Fantasy and its ilk. Am I misjudging it?
Does that added second paragraph clarify anything?

8D