Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

What do you think about Bush's plans for space exploration, a permenant base on the moon and trying to get a manned mission to Mars?
Personally i think it should have happened long, i mean if we could land man on the moon in 1969, what have we been doing for 30 years.
Also what do the American Iron Workers think about the timing of these plans especially with the echonomic crisis?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
GForce

Imo, Bush is doing this for his own profits when he gets out of office. He's probably got stocks in companies involved with space exploration. Same goes to Dick Cheney and Haliburton.

But nevertheless, it does sound exciting. Mission To Mars.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I say way to expensive!
Old 01-15-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
GForce
Imo, Bush is doing this for his own profits when he gets out of office. He's probably got stocks in companies involved with space exploration. Same goes to Dick Cheney and Haliburton.

But nevertheless, it does sound exciting. Mission To Mars.
yeah i agree but I hate it how they say it was his idea, i mean this is George Bush we're talking about, he didn't just wake up one day and say "hey let's put a base on the moon". Either way it should be pretty cool

[ 01-15-2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Intrepid ]
Old 01-15-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

I think it's a great idea! I wanna go to the moon base, weeeee!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

sure gimme 20million US dollars [img]tongue.gif[/img] ..

I think thats what the first tourist guy paid for his 15min flight in space.

I read in the newspaper recently that you can pay around 100-300 thousand US dollars to do the same thing nowadays

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-15-2004, 11:33 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

To be honest, I don't like the idea of it. Bush is just going to put the US further into debt and there's no point in putting a base on the moon, only the utterly rich could go visit it. If he put this money into going to Mars, then I'd be fine with it because that planet could actually benefit people.

Oh, anyone hear that the astronaut traveling to the moon first is none other than John Travolta? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2004, 02:00 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
What do you think about Bush's plans for space exploration, a permenant base on the moon and trying to get a manned mission to Mars?
Personally i think it should have happened long, i mean if we could land man on the moon in 1969, what have we been doing for 30 years.
Also what do the American Iron Workers think about the timing of these plans especially with the echonomic crisis?
Uh, economic crisis? Our Economy is actually better and GETTING better every day now (some figures are the highest in 20 years).. Personally, I think it's about time they give Nasa better funding.. And everyone bitching about how it costs too much need to remember, we make MOVIES that cost 100-300 Million a pop, and we DO pay for those, so I think giving Nasa this money, and each of us skip going to one Movie at a theater, and we should be just fine. We need a VISION for space. Currently, we/nasa has none. Going into low earth orbit isn't a 'vision' IMO. We need to get out there, and explore.

Just my 2 cents....

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
sponkly
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As far as establishing a moon base is concerned, I say we send Shrubya up with a pup-tent. The manned mission to Mars is a *great* idea, but should not be attempted for a while yet. We need to continue the remote probes and also send up "reactors" to start synthesizing raw materials out of the Martian atmosphere and soil. Sound far-fetched? It really isn't .. those who are interested should read "The Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin and Richard Wagner. It really opened my eyes concerning the feasibility of a reasonably priced manned expedition to Mars. The budgets that Shrubya is proposing are ludicrous .. just more fodder for corporate graft and waste.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

I think humans should first solve their other problems (War, hunger, poverty, stupidity, greed) before they start spreading themselves around the galaxy