Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-31-2003, 02:00 AM   #1
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

For my year 12 English assignment I have to find a movie, a novel, a short story and some poems/songs about how "Although we like to believe that the good in the world will always be stronger, the evil in human's nature will enable evil to be victorious."

...so basically I need some reccomendations for movies, short stories or poems/songs that I can use. I have already got the novel "Well Of Darkness" and am having trouble finding other things to use.

All it needs is to be based on the evil in human nature and that evil is victorious.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

[ 10-31-2003, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: shadowhound ]
Old 10-31-2003, 03:04 AM   #2
Rolandthemad
Manshoon

1984 the book.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:11 AM   #3
shadowhound

Already have the novel ("Well of Darkness" Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman)

Its the short story, movie and poems/songs that I am after.

(Thanks anyway)
Old 10-31-2003, 03:17 AM   #4
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I might suggest some passages from Paradise Lost. If you're not familiar with it, its like a 12 volume poem that was written way way long ago. Basically, its about the war between God and Satan...other things too. There is a particular passage where Satan as the Serpent gets Eve to eat the forbidden apple and she in turn gets Adam to. So you see, Eden is supposed to be paradise, right, untouched by evil and temptation, but look what happened [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 06:41 AM   #5
shadowhound

Will definatly look into that, thnx LB.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:42 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Lord of the Flies!

"Whilst superficially simple, Lord of the Flies is in fact a highly complex novel. Golding uses the story of a group of English schoolboys marooned on a deserted tropical island to explore the existence of evil and violence in human nature. Golding's views reflect his understanding of the world in which he was living and develop out of his experience and cultural background. However, as with most good literature, this novel is not simply a statement of Golding's political and cultural views; rather, it is an imaginative exploration of certain aspects of human nature and, as you will discover when we read, discuss and analyse the text, he does not provide his readers with a nicely packaged set of views that they can either accept or reject. Instead, through his exploration of the events which occur on the island, he challenges the readers to attempt to develop their own views about the existence of evil and violence in the human race."

Poor Piggy!

[ 10-31-2003, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-31-2003, 07:13 AM   #7
Skunk
Banned User

Oh yes Lord of the Flies is an excellent choice. It is an exploration of the consequences on society when the rule-books are thrown out of the window.

I believe that is is also the book that parents make their children read when they want them to grow to be lawyers

[ 10-31-2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

American Psycho, both the film and the book. TThe quote from the beginning sums up where I think its coming from:

And as things fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

- Talking Heads
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 10-31-2003, 09:37 AM   #9
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

schindlers list lots of evil in that ......i think.....
Old 10-31-2003, 11:54 AM   #10
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
American Psycho, both the film and the book. TThe quote from the beginning sums up where I think its coming from:

And as things fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

- Talking Heads
Very good example for a movie, although it was a very strange movie. Anyway, it certainly fits the kind of movie he's looking for. The end centers on the apathy and moral laziness of the average person allowing evil to thrive.