Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-17-2001, 03:59 AM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

why do all computers in my school installed it???

I dont get it, I mean, Explorer is much more friendly, and easier to use... so why are people still using netscape?
Old 10-17-2001, 04:25 AM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

I use Netscape because, ehr... I've used it for so long that I think Netscape is easier to use, I guess... Maybe on my next computer...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-17-2001, 06:16 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Huh, historical reasons, I guess.

Netscape existed before IE did, and was, several years ago, by far better than IE. But it did not belong to Microsoft ... So Microsoft started fighting against Netscape, by delivering IE along with Windows, and by implementing stuff in Windows that did not allow Netscape to funstion properly. Netscape has been much hampered by that unlawful way of doing business ... Now, IE is functioning better than Netscape on Windows platforms, which is not surprising.

Anyway, Netscape also function on non-Windows platforms, such as Sun and HP UNIX workstations, which IE does not, as far as I know.

------------------

The world is my oyster !

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 10-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old 10-17-2001, 06:34 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Huh, historical reasons, I guess.

Netscape existed before IE did, and was, several years ago, by far better than IE. But it did not belong to Microsoft ... So Microsoft started fighting against Netscape, by delivering IE along with Windows, and by implementing stuff in Windows that did not allow Netscape to funstion properly. Netscape has been much hampered by that unlawful way of doing business ... Now, IE is functioning better than Netscape on Windows platforms, which is not surprising.

Anyway, Netscape also function on non-Windows platforms, such as Sun and HP UNIX workstations, which IE does not, as far as I know.

thanks a lot! welcome back by the way, when did you get back?
Old 10-17-2001, 08:22 AM   #5
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Deux-Cent-Cinquante.

Huh, I decided to give IW a try yesterday, because I have quite got back to my usual cool schedule at work.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-17-2001, 08:29 AM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
why do all computers in my school installed it???
i think you just summed it up in that one sentence, 250!

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Shadow Dragon of the DotW
Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-17-2001, 08:35 AM   #7
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Netscape Navigator was quite fast compared to IE 3.02. I had both versions of the browsers on my computer for quite some time. When it had been upgraded to ver 4.0, it became "bloatware" meaning it had more features and slowed down. I use IE 5.50 primarily because of the keyboard shortcuts these days.

Two Fitty, as to your question...the reason your school is using Netscape navigator is not because of how good or bad it is, its just that they have licenses for a certain amount of machines and it doesn't need the patches (fixes) that Internet Explorer needs so often.

Legolas does raise a good point in that it works on non Windows platforms quite well. It just takes some getting used to. Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts and how to save your bookmarks, then you'll be cruising with the best of them. Just be sure to clean out your cache every once in a while.

BTW..250 is the Maturest.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-17-2001, 08:43 AM   #8
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Trying to get on his good side, eh?
We all know that's what he wants to hear...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-17-2001, 02:26 PM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

**dances nakedly** ( did I do that?)
Old 10-17-2001, 02:27 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
i think you just summed it up in that one sentence, 250!

no, not really, my school computers also have IE, but the old ones in the , library (yikes) use all netscape