Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2001, 05:24 PM   #21
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Any of you ever seen Little Nicky? Great movie. Part of the movie takes place in "hell". In the movie, every day as punishment, satan makes Hitler(who they also force to wear a dress) select a huge pineapple, and then satan jams it up his a$$ as punishment for his atrocities.

This really has nothing to do with anything, but I was just thinking of punishments for mass murderers and it popped in my head.

BTW, 250 is just trying to be supportive and I for one appreciate it. It means
alot to have moral support from other countries. As long as we all agree that they are wrong to one degree or another, lets not fight over how to say they are wrong.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB

[This message has been edited by MILAMBER (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 05:27 PM   #22
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Any of you ever seen Little Nicky? Great movie. Part of the movie takes place in "hell". In the movie, every day as punishment, satan makes Hitler(who they also force to wear a dress) select a huge pineapple, and then satan jams it up his a$$ as punishment for his atrocities.

This really has nothing to do with anything, but I was just thinking of punishments for mass murderers and it popped in my head.

LOL. No, haven't seen that movie, but thanks for sharing.

Yes, that would be a fitting punishment

Old 09-13-2001, 05:37 PM   #23
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Silver Cheetah, I love you

Well said as usual.

Soul brother, I love you too

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 05:49 PM   #24
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
In the movie, every day as punishment, satan makes Hitler(who they also force to wear a dress) select a huge pineapple, and then satan jams it up his a$$ as punishment for his atrocities.

BTW, 250 is just trying to be supportive and I for one appreciate it. It means
alot to have moral support from other countries. As long as we all agree that they are wrong to one degree or another, lets not fight over how to say they are wrong.

Milamber, your pineapple image is just hysterical! Made me laugh a lot.

Re 250s post, sure. Not interested in fighting! Just adding my mite, is all.....

The sight of the towers coming down distressed me greatly, - my friend and I cried and cried, and we are outsiders. I can only imagine how it must feel to you who are there.

But I think it would be wrong to suspend rational analysis and discussion, which includes looking at cause and effect.

Communication and analysis of our different points of view is what helps us to understand each other, and bring us closer together. It also gives us a better chance of getting a peek at that elusive creature we sometimes call truth.

My apologies if I have offended or upset anyone, - it was not my intention (but then, it never is...... )

------------------
Old 09-13-2001, 06:06 PM   #25
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Communication and analysis of our different points of view is what helps us to understand each other, and bring us closer together. It also gives us a better chance of getting a peek at that elusive creature we sometimes call truth.

Yes. Also, in answer to those who might say that such analysis should wait until later, for some of us it is a way of dealing with the tragedy -- trying to understand it and come to terms with it and hopefully start the process of making sure it never happens again.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:12 PM   #26
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Raif Gwydionson:
It's understandable what Silver Cheetah is saying, but I don't think you can quite grasp the range of emotions that Americans are going through right now.

For the most part we are isolated geographically from the rest of the world. For this to happen so suddenly and without warning (and for those of you who claim blah blah the government forsaw this coming, the majority of the American people did not) is almost unbelievable to Americans. We simply have not an event of this magnitude EVER in American history. People have been making comparisons to Pearl Harbor, but we were in fact in the midst of a World War, and we were already involved... not declared, but de facto.

This was not a military act. This was a terrorist act.

I've noticed that a lot of people (Americans and non-Americans) are quick to say that we are arrogant and that we disrespect the rest of the world. I think this is unfair, but im not here to discuss international politics.

Its just too early to be making assumptions of retaliation, but it is also too early to try to pin the blame and in a roundabout way say we had it coming. No one deserves this, no matter who or where they are.

On Tuesday morning, I awoke to ignorant cheers of "We are going to war!". When I asked what was going on, no one would tell me, and had to turn on the TV to see the Twin Towers ablaze. the WTC is less than 15 miles from my home. I regularly look out to see the towers and the NY skyline.

I cannot describe to you the feeling of helplessness I had, being away from home. I know people who's parents were in the tower at that time. You try telling them that rhetoric is irresponsible.

It is simply too early... too much too soon. Let us regroup, and don't base your opinions of the US on the wild emotions that are running through the nation right now. We are scared as a whole. We lost many people.

Please have some consideration.
Raif, thanks for your thoughts. You have communicated your feelings on this in a way that touches me deeply. Thank you for your simplicity, and your heartfeltness.

Like you, I don't want to get into a big political discussion here - however, there ARE issues with America and the rest of the world. It would be idle to suggest otherwise. And no, maybe it is not the time to bring them up... so, what to do?

I can do one of three things. I can get off the forum and mind my own business. I can look on and say nothing. I can participate falsely, i.e. by saying things and agreeing with things that I don't actually believe.

I am a relatively new member of this forum. One of the reasons I joined it was to share some of my views on the world, views which are anti-violence, which are rooted in the belief that community, not competition, is the way forward for human beings if we are to survive on this planet, views which see globalism as a threat to our collective environment and the future of humanity. These things often lead me to take a viewpoint which some might define as anti-American.

That's a sweeping definition, and I'm not quite sure what it means. If it means questioning some things about the American way of life and way of being in the world, maybe I am. If it means hating Americans, no I am not. So far, I've visited your country three times, and will be doing so again, I hope. Particularly, I loved New York, where I spent a fabulous week (not long enough).

To get back to my point - like any event which takes place in the world, big or small, this particular tragic event has a history. Nothing exists in isolation.

Personally, I am very interested in the 'whys' of things. At present, understandably, America is more interested in 'how' and 'who' than 'why'. But why is a question that deserves to be raised, and which should be answered, for the simple reason that it may lead not only America but the world in general to take a look at how we are running our world right now, and how we could maybe do it better, for the good of all of us. In my view, it is only by questioning the past and the present, that we have any hope of building a sustainable future.

Questioning is important. Not to do so disempowers us as individuals.

Again, my apologies if I have given offence where none was intended.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Silver Cheetah (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 06:22 PM   #27
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Milamber, your pineapple image is just hysterical! Made me laugh a lot.

Re 250s post, sure. Not interested in fighting! Just adding my mite, is all.....

The sight of the towers coming down distressed me greatly, - my friend and I cried and cried, and we are outsiders. I can only imagine how it must feel to you who are there.

But I think it would be wrong to suspend rational analysis and discussion, which includes looking at cause and effect.

My apologies if I have offended or upset anyone, - it was not my intention (but then, it never is...... )

It shows that you are a writer. Very well said. I agree wholeheartedly that rational discussion and analysis are critical to us all resolving our feelings on this matter. Indeed, cause and effect are a part of rational analysis. Right now though, I would argue that effect is more important then cause. I think that everybody views the terrorist actions as wrong(excepting the terrorists and their supporters). That being the case, the cause cannot alter the wrongness of their actions whatsoever. All it can do is shed light on the motivation that spurred the slaughter. It can do nothing to repair the damage done. I honestly wasn't aware that the U.S funded bin Laden during the cold war, and if that is the case, we certainly played a role in our own tragedy. I guess at least for myself and maybe some other Americans on the board as well, I'm so locked into the effect right now that the cause can't do anything to console me yet. Knowing why or how does nothing to bring the countless thousands back to us. That said, there's still no excuse for being unobjective, but objectivity usually doesn't do much to heal emotional wounds.

One of the biggest reasons I love this forum is for the opportunity to speak with people from around the globe and get their opinions on things and try and understand their cultures. This is no different. Honestly I have probably heard more Americans saying similar things to what you just did SC then I have from anywhere else. I think that says a lot. While we all might disagree on the importance of why these things happened, I think we can all agree that they were tragic. As long as we are all in agreement there, then we're all on the same team.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-13-2001, 06:27 PM   #28
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:

Questioning is important. Not to do so disempowers us as individuals.

Absolutely!!!!!!

From the quote thread...

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. "
- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

------------------

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-13-2001, 06:30 PM   #29
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I was hoping everyone to write a memoir or express their emotion a bit. ■■■■ it then
Old 09-13-2001, 06:33 PM   #30
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
I was hoping everyone to write a memoir or express their emotion a bit. ■■■■ it then
Common bro, let it go. People are expressing their emotions after a fashion. Actually, now they are expressing their emotions about expressing their emotions...if that makes sense. Don't get pissed

------------------

Member of CLAN HADB