Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

I'm getting Morrowind along with both expansions tomorrow for Christmas so I was hoping the kind IW people could give me some tips on how to play the game to the max so to speak

I typically like to play as a mage, so any ideas on what to do in that specific area would be REALLY helpful
Old 12-25-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Hm, never played as a mage before, but i hear it's the most difficult character to play in Morrowind, so i'd say make sure you have some ranged weaponry on you, and a few levitationpotions or scrolls, until you're leveled up a bit, otherwise you're gonna have one hell of a time traveling through the lands.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:19 PM   #3
Oruboris

I honestly feel the magic classes are pretty underpowered in this game: magica takes a long time to regenerate, and doesn't give a lot of 'bang for the buck', so to speak.

I'd advise getting a bow as soon as you can, so you don't waste too much magic on cliff racers and the like, and I think you'll want to be pretty skilled with a long sword as well-- there will be some missions where the enemies come too fast and frequent to cast spells at all of them.

Don't get too 'married' to your first character: took me several attempts to create one I was interested in playing for the entire game.

I much prefer the 'custom' classes, and I'm very picky about what skills go where: if you pick your major, minor and misc. skills wisely, you can quite easily get the maximum multiplyers with each level up.

Bretons are a great magic class: 50% resistance to magic, 50% boost to magica. There's also a birthsign you can take-- sorceror, I think-- that boosts your magica another 50% with no downside.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

A pure mage is quite fun. However the original spells that were sold in this game isn't good enough. you have to customise your own spell. ie make your own spell.

Don't worry about your magicka, as long as you have alchemy you can create mana potions.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

Forget the mage! Reasons:
1. The magic of Morrowind is ruined to almost complete uselessness. Every somehow usable spell is overpriced so that you'll never be able to cast it. Enchanting and alchemy is much more powerful than spellcasting! And every kind of character can use potions and magical items!
2. Most of creatures worth of mentioning is spell reflecting. Their spell reflection is an ability, therefore, it's always working and the monster need not cast it. And the maginitude is - 20% (yes, twenty).
Not much? Consider how many hitpoints you will need to remove from the monsters. One fifth of them will be reflected on you. Consider that you must expect spell reflection from any monster of the level of Flame Atronach or stronger - exceptions are rare. One Storm Atronach plus one Daedroth - and you get killed yourself with your own spells easily.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:29 PM   #6
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

The best aDvice is to just plAy the Game, screw arOund, find ouT what to do, tHen start a new character. Then play aroUnd with him/heR. This is one of the easiest games i have played; but it sure doesnt look esay. Good Luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

There are definetley no subliminal messages here [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote