Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-14-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

I have just managed to kill the Silver Dragon with one hit from my evil monk, using a quivering palm attack. Does anyone know if this was just a one off or are monks really that hard?
Old 08-14-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Nope its not a fluke. Monks really are that tough. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Ive killed a couple dragons with the Q.P. Arent monks fun??? hehehehehehehe

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 10:24 AM   #3
Tuor
Elminster

No monks really are that hard but you were a bit lucky.

It's like the mage who finger of deaths the shadow dragon to death in the first round-doable but not very likely.

But hey you killed the dragon, none of your characters got hurt and you've got some decent gear and a shed load of xp out of the big bugger so why worry.

just don't expect it to work everytime you fight a dragon.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:49 AM   #4
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the info. I think this is going to be a tactic I use a lot in the future, pity there are no more Dragons to kill.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:26 AM   #5
Istaron
Banned User

Jusst wait til you et ToB, tethyr has a shitload of them

Though, I would like to object on the title of this thread "Dragon vs Shaoilin."
You can't really call the monk a "shaolin", since shaolin are just a religon, or perhaps a way of living. Though, in china, there are temples with shaolin-monks, who has learnt martial arts, as Wing Chun and Wushu (I think) to protect their temples from looters, that were common during the 1000-century or so.

Also, to give you a little lesson in such things, there are no martial art called "kung fu".
There is a chinese term "gong fu", wich means "fullfillnes" or so. A masterfisher, or a good gituarrist have gong fu in their arts.
Then, china started to produce their martial art-movies, whose fighters had "gong fu" in their techniqes.
Then, when some chinese talked about gong fu with english-speaking person, it sounded very much like they said "kung fu-movie"... and THATS how people began to think there was a martial art called kung fu!

Thank you for the time

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-14-2001, 11:36 AM   #6
Istaron
Banned User

Addition to the shaolin-thing: There are other temples not following the shaolin way of life, such as dao-temples. The daos has also got powerfull martial artists.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-14-2001, 11:38 AM   #7
Vampire

Shaolin isn't the only one in China. Back in the medieval times, there were very many indeed. Each Major Mountain had its own sect in harmony with each other. Some where closer to the Kensais (sword art) and some were Monks
Old 08-15-2001, 02:43 AM   #8
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Finally someone who understands Chinese Martial Arts. I cant stand it when people say that Jet Li or Jacky Chan "does Kung Fu"

And I believe that the Shaolin didnt teach only martial arts. For them it was a form of self-defence, they were monks first, warriors second, or not at all. And unlike the way BG2 potrays them, most were proficient in not only unarmed combat, but in impressive displays of weaponskills in a large number of blades and polearms, each variant needing years of study and practice to master.

Plus, the whole idea of a quivering palm on a dragon's ass felling the beast is just ridiculous

------------------
Why?
Old 08-15-2001, 06:20 AM   #9
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Actually I always thought Jet Li and Jackie Chan would be knackered in a fight from jumping around and shouting so much, without actually hitting anybody...
Old 08-15-2001, 09:50 AM   #10
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Jacky Chan was the youngest person to ever win the national championchips in Japan. I saw a clip of the championchip match. All 3.2 seconds of it. No bull. It was that short. He hit that poor guy about 14 times and finished him off with a rightfooted spin kick. BAM!!!! OVER. The poor guy was out cold.

Hes awesome.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!