Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2002, 07:54 PM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

andrewas - it isn't a bug. In 2nd edition AD&D rules, there is such a thing called "Catastrophic death" where a character suffers such immense damage that kills him that he can no longer be raised or ressurected. Additionally, There is also an optional rule that when hit points fall to -10, your character is ALSO permanently dead. AND, when a raise dead or ressurection is attempted, a player must also make a system shock roll - failure to pass that also results in the characters permanent death.

Check out page 77 of the SOA manual - Combat effects and recovery - the last sentence states: "When one of your characters suffers massive damage, he or she will be forever dead, beyond hope of resurrection". So, this is NOT a bug, but something within the scope of the rules that has been implemented in the code.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:14 PM   #12
Nifft the Nimble

quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:

Check out page 77 of the SOA manual - Combat effects and recovery - the last sentence states: "When one of your characters suffers massive damage, he or she will be forever dead, beyond hope of resurrection". So, this is NOT a bug, but something within the scope of the rules that has been implemented in the code.

Micah,

When catastrophic death happens (and the NPC turns into a shower of chunky bits), typically the NPCs portrait also disappears from the roster. Keldar reports that the NPC portrait is merely greyed out --- indicating non-permanent death, as far as I know.

-- Nifft, puzzled
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:29 PM   #13
salom
Elite Waterdeep Guard

same thing happened not to long ago i lost minsc but just restarted wich took me another day to get back to were i was.
maybe i should save more.
salom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 01:18 AM   #14
LennonCook
Jack Burton

AFAIK, this is a bug... the catestrophic death only occurs in core rules difficulty. I have had this happen once before myself, to my main character. The portrait was greyed out, indicating that he was dead, but I could still move around with him. I believe that what happens here is something like the character is dead, and the portrait system knows it, but the Sprites and the spell system dont. The only way to fix this- editing utility (such as SK or IEEP), or reload an old save.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:40 AM   #15
Keldar Silverpoint
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you all for the info. Yes, her portrait is grayed out, not missing. I know nothing about the Shadowkweep thing. I tried CTRL+R, get this, Brought the portrait back fully healed. But no Imoen! I hated even resorting to the cheat key, but hey, its a bug, so I feel that justifies the CTRL+R. So, it looks like I am gonna have to face that balor again. Thanks for all the help everyone!
quote:
GOT ALE??
Keldar Silverpoint is offline   Reply With Quote