Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Exclamation For any military folk...

I have a question that I hope someone here can answer.

There is a certain gentleman who has been writing to a family member, presenting himself as a member of the U.S. Army. For various reasons, I suspect that he is a scammer. A few months ago, another person claiming to be in the military managed to scam this family member and now I think this might be an associate. I saw an email from him and for an "general" in the army, he has incredibly bad grammer and spelling. A quick search for his name turned up a soldier who died in 1985...

Now, my question is whether there is a duty roster one can check, or any place one might find out if someone is legitimately in the army? I had located a site the other day while at work and had been unable to access it. Now I can't find it again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: For any military folk...

Are they contacting you as an official representing the US Army?
Have you or anyone in your family considered enlisting or appying for a commission in the US Army?

It is not unusual for someone to "advertise" their retired rank and service association. However, if you are active duty, the use of your rank as "advertisement", IF YOU ARE NOT OFFICIALLY REPRESENTING the US government is frowned upon...and may even be against the UCMJ.

Are these emails or actual letters?

Does the person in question indicate which command he/she is attached to? If so, contact the nearest US consulate and express your concerns. You may also be able to find out if said person exists and is indeed active duty and attached to the command he/she claims.

If you cannot get any information regarding which command they are from...then this is almost certainly a swindle. Another indication is the apparent poor English; which may indicate a non-native speaker,,,also an indication of a scam/swindle. Report this to the appropriate authorities.

P.S. I am retired US Navy. If I wished to "advertise" my retired rank and service association I would do it thusly, i.e.
John Doe, AT1(NAC) USN(Ret)

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 01-27-2010 at 08:10 AM.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Go to the army police, tell 'em your suspsicions, and they will check.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Ok, I should clarify.

The basic story is this:

A few months ago my sister in-law started talking to a guy who said he was in the US army (we are in Canada). He sweet-talked her and started an online romance with her. He eventually asked for her help in "transferring" a large amount of money. I supposedly got stuck at the border and she had to send money to a lawyer friend of his to get it across the border. (Yeah I know this sounds crazy, but she was "in love" with him and didn't tell any of this to family members who could have said "hello? Wake up.")

Eventually (after losing money to him) she realised it was a scam and cut ties.

Now comes this other guy, again a "Major in the US Army". As noted, he had horrible spelling, etc. He refers to himself as a soldier, but any officer I have ever known calls himself an officer, not a soldier.

Anyhow, they have started a new romance and we are just waiting for the other shoe to drop, because we all feel it has to be a scam and that he must be an associate of the first guy. They probably figured she fell for it once, so they can get her again.

His use of English is rather poor and he introduces himself in an odd way, using a family name as first name. Imagine someone introducing himself as Doe John and signing off on emails as Doe. He'd be Mr John, first name Doe. It just sounds wrong.

Anyhow, I just want to be able to show her proof that this guy is scamming her. She is taking his side over family and looking for ways to prove us wrong. I had done a quick search of his name, finding a match, but he died years ago, so I suspect the guy is using a stolen name.

I had seen a site that lets you inquire about whether someone is really activev in the military, but can no longer locate it.

And that's where we are now.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Try here for starters http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/locat.../millocate.htm

You can also search for 'active duty military locator' or variations thereof. Be aware that the search may not be free, and they may not divulge certain info. The services usually will not divulge info on deployed members, for instance. If this "Army Major" won't tell you where he is attached, then this is certainly a swindle.

BTW, what does your brother think of all this?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

It is actually the sister of my wife.

Someone had told me to request info, quoting the freedom of information act. I am not sure if that's valid.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

First off, yes people are using military association for scamming.

Ask for the perp to send an e-mail from work, so you can proudly display it to (insert gender -here) friends.

ALL, real addresses will end with a .mil and ALL Army official e-mail will end with .army.mil

If he is a Major, his signature will read:

Scammer
MAJ, USA

A link:
http://www.defense.gov/faq/pis/PC04MLTR.html

Another:
http://www.archives.gov/

For an immediate response call the FBI, they have a fraudulent Armed Forces special unit that deals with just that.

Lastly:
Quote:
Sketchy records. When asked to verify details of their military record, phonies often say they didn't go through the normal military channels, said Mike Sandborn, an FBI special agent and former Marine captain who works medals fraud cases. Sandborn said phonies will often say they were in high demand by the military and weren't required to go through the normal training.

Appearance matters. Impostors put on pretty lousy impersonations. They're often out of shape or have a "slovenly appearance in uniform," Sandborn said. If they look like "50 pounds of pork shoved into a 10-pound sack," Sandborn said, they're probably an impostor.

Top secret? Probably not. A phony often will say details of his career exploits are classified. But even with awards for classified actions, ceremonies are never top secret. Veterans claiming to have received an award should be able to produce an order granting it no matter how secretive the action.

"My dog ate it." Phonies often say their military documents were destroyed in a fire or some similar disaster.

Watch that rack. Check their decorations; phonies often wear medals in the wrong order or in disproportion to their time in service.

Check the birth date. When it comes to the Medal of Honor, age matters. According to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, the youngest living recipient is 53-year-old Gordon R. Roberts. "If you see a young kid wearing a Medal of Honor, he's impersonating," said Gary Littrell, president of the society.

Just ask. Don't be afraid to test someone if you think they're faking, FBI agents say. If they're legit, they won't mind if you ask questions, Cottone said. Highly decorated veterans usually are very modest and rarely draw attention to their accomplishments; impostors love to boast. Sandborn cautioned troops to remember that "true heroism is like a river - the deeper it runs, the quieter it is."

Surf the Web. Still not sure? Check out the online databases of information about both real and phony war heroes. The site www.homeofheroes.com has a confidential online "bust a phony" form. Information submitted is turned over to the FBI. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society maintains a list of living MOH award recipients at www.cmohs.org. Also, www.pownetwork.org maintains a list of phony veterans.
I am Felix
MSG, USA Retired

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnabas View Post
It is actually the sister of my wife.

Someone had told me to request info, quoting the freedom of information act. I am not sure if that's valid.
I doubt the US government would honor a Freedom of Information Act request from a Canadian citizen. Hell, they barely honor them from US citizens, and only then if you pay ALL expenses.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

It is a federal offense to impersonate an officer. In time of war, it can be and is most usually considered an act of treason.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote