Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 03:13 AM   #1
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

It's a long story all in all, so I'll get right to the point; I need to get from Portland, Maine to Cleveland, Ohio - by car. Now I'm vaguely aware there are certain things I should check in and around my car before setting off, but could anyone give me a bit of a concise list? I know I can manage it energy-wise, I'm just a little worried about something packing up mechanically - it's nearly eight hundred miles, after all. I've got everything else sorted out, from sustenance to accommodation, it's just the car that needs a good look-over before I leave. Any mechanics or road-warriors out there have any tips or advice to offer me? I'd be really grateful [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2003, 03:51 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

as a passenger
#1 priority- food
as a driver
#1 priority- road map

sorry, im not familiar in long road driving

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-04-2003, 04:17 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Just check your oil and antifreeze/coolant levels, just to make sure they are ok. Also, make sure your tires do not have worn threads and are inflated to the proper pressure (look on the inside panel of your door for correct pressure). Make sure your spare tire is properly inflated. Finally, keep a couple of gallons of water and a flashlight in the trunk. With all this (which really isn't that much) you should be just fine.
Once you head out, stop every 2 or 3 hours just to stretch your legs and avoid road hypnosis; for drowsiness swallow half a No-Doz with some coffee and turn up the volume on the radio a little.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:52 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

800 miles a long drive pah [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] down here in a proper sized country, why we have bigger driveways [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

1) Tyres....correct pressure measured cold, and do not forget the spare.

2) oil..present and correct

3) Water.. Radiator, bug wash, and very important plenty to drink in the car. a/c or more probably heater (up there brrrrr ) dries you out on a long journey. Causing fatigue and lack of concentration. Please drink lots of water, not coffee, tea or salty snacks. *important*

4) Belts... just check your fan belts/oil pump belts are not frayed or to sloppy

5) Enjoy the journey. this is not a cliché, but from someone whose passion for many years was riding VAST distances on my motorbike. A destination is just an excuse for an adventure. Stop of and see obscure sights. Toss a coin at a junction to decide which way to go. Give yourself time to get there. Throw your map away. Buy a copy of Steinbecks "travels with Charlie"

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-04-2003, 06:11 AM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Also make sure you will need a large cooler filled with beer and ice. For 800 miles I estimate you'll need around 2 cases (48) of beer. Also a catheter will be helpful so you wont have to stop often Good luck, hope that helped! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2003, 06:14 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Also make sure you will need a large cooler filled with beer and ice. For 800 miles I estimate you'll need around 2 cases (48) of beer. Also a catheter will be helpful so you wont have to stop often Good luck, hope that helped! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lovely!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 03-04-2003, 06:17 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Two cases ? I'm a little dissapointed in you now.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:29 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Quote:
Two cases ? I'm a little dissapointed in you now. [/QUOTE]Hope I'm not downwind with my visor open or should that smily be [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-04-2003, 07:40 AM   #9
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Adding to Wellards comments, make sure all your lights are working and your brakes are in good condition. Now's a good time to get an oil change and have a mechanic look the car over for you. (Most will do this for free in hopes of getting some work off you)
Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #10
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Also make sure that your windshield washer fluid is full and that you have extra in the trunk to re-fill it if you need. On long trips especially in the winter, you'll go through a lot of it because of road-spray.