Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 04:30 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well... I am thinking about installing it... is it a program worth installing or is it just a worthless program...?

I have Win XP.. and I can't beliee it doesn't have Scandisk... Check Disk yeah... but what the hell? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2003, 05:37 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I have Norton Utilities installed on my machine, and I really don't use it a lot. The "protected" recycle bin might be useful if you ever need to undelete stuff, and they do claim their defragmenting utility is better than the Windows standard. The diagnostics and cleanup tools seem to work reasonably well also.

That having been said, unless you are experiencing problems with your current setup, I see little advantage in installing Norton Utilities. Can't hurt though

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-02-2003, 06:02 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

It depends what you need it to do. It is pretty stable when correcting the registry and old/bad links. But you can use checkdisk the same way as scandisk. The only difference is that you use it before windows startup. Itīs the same. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you own the program I donīt see why you shouldnīt install it. Speed disk is for instance way better than Windows defrag.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:59 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well coming from personal experience... having all those extra utilities and those management programs will slow down your computer and takes alot of memory.

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-02-2003, 08:08 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
well coming from personal experience... having all those extra utilities and those management programs will slow down your computer and takes alot of memory.
Then disable the automatic start up. There is no need for the monitoring to be on. You can simply chose to start the different programs from the start menu.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then disable the automatic start up. There is no need for the monitoring to be on. You can simply chose to start the different programs from the start menu.
you know what.. your absoloutly right.. doh!!

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
you know what.. your absoloutly right.. doh!!
Of course I am! [img]tongue.gif[/img] I am a woman after all. LOL!

But I have to agree I find it very irritating that every software seems to "think" it should run at startup. Then you have to go through 50 pages of options to find the "Donīt start at start up" option.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:32 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Of course I am! I am a woman after all. LOL!

But I have to agree I find it very irritating that every software seems to "think" it should run at startup. Then you have to go through 50 pages of options to find the "Donīt start at start up" option.
also when you are playing a game then all of a sudden your computer slows down only to find out that your norton is running check disk simply because its on the sched.. grr... annoying!!

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-02-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I liked Norton 2002 so much I'm now running 2003. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Speed Disc, One Button Cleanup, Fast and Safe Cleansweep, Antivirus, and much more. All really good stuff.

The only thing I run at startup is Antivirus.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:03 PM   #10
Blade
Emerald Dragon

yeap handy program i use it alot, the fixes for links and system reqistry is very handy you wouldn't believe how many you can run across in just normal usage. speed disk far supirior and only requires 5% of free disk space where as the windows one required alot more. Most people probably wont require the always on antivirus but it makes me feel more secure about leaving my comp on 24/7 on the school network. Just rember to run it occationaly to check and update it too very handy.