Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 04:13 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Since the subject of "road rage" came up...how do you stand on the subject of cell phones?

I know that they have been blamed as being a major contributor to hazardous driving and traffic accidents. Many metropolitan areas have banned their use except when a vehicle is at a complete stop (power off) and then only for emergency use. There is a bill in Congress now to get the Federal Government to start yanking highway aid from states who do not come up with tougher legislation and rules governing the use of in-car cell phone use.

I have no love of cell phones, but I understand their necessity in an emergency situation. They can save lives as well. It's the way that they are used that is the problem. I have seen people use them irresponsibly. Just last week, on my way home, I saw a lady driving a car who was straddling the dashed line between two lanes and wavering between them. When she finally moved over and I was able to pass her, I noticed that her face was contorted and she was screaming something into a cell phone, seemingly in rage. Was she cussing out her kids? Her husband or bf? Her boss? An employee? Did it matter? She was putting all of us at risk with her immature and irresponsible behavior. It's people like her that are making it bad for those people who use the phones responsibly.

What is your take on this? Do you think cell phones should be banned from cars, or highly regulated? Do you think the fed govt. should back off and let local and state ordinances set their own rules for their use?

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 04:18 PM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

The human race is wired.
Cell Phones are but one moment in our evolution...the merging of organic with technology...not to long till the wires are beneath our skin. Good or Bad its moving...
Old 09-10-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

What is your take on this? Do you think cell phones should be banned from cars, or highly regulated? Do you think the fed govt. should back off and let local and state ordinances set their own rules for their use?

If we are going to ban or regulate the use of cell phones in cars, then we need to also ban or regulate: eating, putting on make-up, listening to the radio (yes studies have shown that even just listening to the radio impairs your driving ability), and any other distractions.

I don't know what caused all the fuss over cell phones, but I think it is just another distraction in a long line....perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-10-2001, 04:24 PM   #4
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

I say ban cell phone use in the car. The problem is that many people cannot drive with no distractions. Letting them use a cell phone while driving is like giving them a loaded gun.

------------------

TD..TD...
Old 09-10-2001, 04:26 PM   #5
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

It is amazing how fast people have come from never having a cell phone to needing a cell phone. I think cell phones have there place in the world but not in cars or at a dinner table or the movies. They are very handy for the working class of the world. They make things easier when trying to get a hold of the boss. But the laws need to change in regard of cell phone use in the car. Go ahead and have them in the car but take the time to pull over in a safe manner and take the call. Or wait five min and what til you get where you are going.
IMO if you are driving a car and using a cell phone and you get in a accident and kill some or hurt some one you should be held responsible on a higher power of the law ie manslaughter or something of the nature. Is really that important to be on the phone and not paying attention driving a car or truck that could easy kill you or some one else.
Old 09-10-2001, 04:27 PM   #6
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
If we are going to ban or regulate the use of cell phones in cars, then we need to also ban or regulate: eating, putting on make-up, listening to the radio (yes studies have shown that even just listening to the radio impairs your driving ability), and any other distractions.

I don't know what caused all the fuss over cell phones, but I think it is just another distraction in a long line....perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak

I agree with you, but like Saz said people on the phone can become emotional and cry or get very angry at the person they are talking to. Thats the diffrence with the cell phone.

------------------

TD..TD...
Old 09-10-2001, 04:29 PM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, since I use mine responsibly, I'd like to see us still be able to use them while driving; but you can't have it both ways.

I use hands free devices so it doesn't interfere physically with my driving and I never dial while driving.

Unfortunately, physical interference isn't the only problem. Like you pointed out - some people can't handle themselves even to be speaking while driving.

The only thing is, that it's not limited to cell phones. I had to bully my husband into not even lighting a cigarette while driving because he's all over the road. He can't do ANYTHING else and pilot the car at the same time. When I was younger I performed "amazing feats" while driving and never once even swerved the car even a little. (I was notorious for changing clothes, putting on makeup and eating while driving.) I don't do those things anymore because I realize that, with more people on the road now doing crazy things, I might not be able to avoid someone ELSE if I'm doing something other than driving.

I think something that might help is, not only REQUIRING driver's ed., but REQUIRE a Defensive Driving course as well before allowing someone to get a license. Stiffen penalties for "hazardous" driving, etc.

Just my 2c.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-10-2001, 04:53 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

I don't own a cell phone. I like that there is a place where I can be not bothered by ringing phones.

Mark
Old 09-10-2001, 05:07 PM   #9
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

It's funny you should mention this Saz, because I was just have a right go at my father for using his mobile in the car. He normally has a system that it plugs into so that it acts like a speakerphone. However, he hasn't been able to use that lately because of technical problems. Therefore, he's want to keeping the thing switched on, on the dashboard and picking it up whenever it rings. I've even seen him with one hand on the phone and one on the gear-stick! Now don't get me wrong, my father is normally a very safe driver (he hasn't had an accident he was responsible for in all his years behind the wheel) but for some reason he is willing to take a risk for this flipping cellular!

Perhaps there's something seductive about them that I'm unaware of...

Seriously, I own a cellular myself and I find it extremely useful. It will come into it's own when I move away in 2 weeks and need to keep in touch with friends and family. I've nothing against them at all. I do believe, however, that there is a need to regulate them somewhat. Banning them in cars certainly isn't an answer, but I do believe that they should only be used with accessories that minimise their impact on the driver's concentration (hands free sets etc). Therefore, it would be nice to have some steadfast regulations/penalties in place for those that are caught using them inappropriately or (heaven forbid) those that cause loss of life because of them.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-10-2001, 05:25 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I see alot of the younger people with cell-phones out in public, just to show off that they have one. It is so annoying to here some little teenager talking to her best friend on the cell phone about what she did with her b-friend while standing in a check-out line at the store! Isn't that an expensive, unecessary conversation? Why could she not wait until she got home to talk trash?
Anyway, I have had many close-calls with people who are talking and driving at the same time. I don't see many people talking and driving carefully. To have them there for emergencies is a very acceptable reason, though.

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.