Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2001, 01:47 PM   #1
Moni

Since you were so taken by "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" I thought I would find you some links to internet sites dedicated to what is left of existing Native American Tribes, The Apache (& Geronimo) in particular.
This is an excellent site even though it was developed by someone with a slightly tainted (if not resentful) perspective of white people...not that it is all wrong, but it could have been worded to not include a generalization of ALL white people. Do understand though that it was the whites who put the Apaches on a reservation and that the statements I made about greed and ursurping this country's natural resources in your other thread are backed up here as well, only in another part of this country.

There are links to some good articles at the bottom of this page "Power" and "Truth" in particular are historically informative.

Fort Apache Indian Reservation

I hope you enjoy it and I'll look for some of the other books I remember my father enjoying to read on the subject.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 08-31-2001).]

Old 08-31-2001, 02:14 PM   #2
Moni

Here are some others...

Geronimo

Geronimo His Own Story Online text of Geronimo's autobiography...this was the other book my father read several times.

The Chiricahua Apaches

Apache Literature

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 08-31-2001).]

Old 08-31-2001, 02:16 PM   #3
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thanks for the links. Very informative, if slightly biased.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-31-2001, 02:21 PM   #4
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Thanks for the links. Very informative, if slightly biased.

True, but I can't blame their ancestors for passing the opinion down from generation to generation. They went through hell to keep from becoming extinct as a people. I am part Apache, but so little that it does not show as obviously through my white skin as it does when I get tan...in my heart, I am all Injun.

------------------

Old 08-31-2001, 08:45 PM   #5
Moni

*BUMP*

Old 08-31-2001, 09:02 PM   #6
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Thanx Moni
The sites look great, yes maybe they are a big judgemental but then who can blame them when many still find it hard to live on the reservation land they have now?
I have only been to a Navajo reservation before, but that was an experience i wont forget. I helped build a sweat lodge with the tribe, and then joined in the ritual. I was going through some crap in my life at that point and this helped immensely. Afterwards the elder Navajo there gave me his medicine bag he had kept for 30 years to me, saying that it would help me for the next few years. And it did
I hope to go back and visit them soon, and travel around to other reservations, although from what I have heard it is hard to travel on some of them.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 08-31-2001, 09:04 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I am part Apache...in my heart, I am all Injun.
Well, well! That makes me glad. Unreal Moni.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-31-2001, 09:43 PM   #8
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Thanx Moni
The sites look great, yes maybe they are a big judgemental but then who can blame them when many still find it hard to live on the reservation land they have now?
I have only been to a Navajo reservation before, but that was an experience i wont forget. I helped build a sweat lodge with the tribe, and then joined in the ritual. I was going through some crap in my life at that point and this helped immensely. Afterwards the elder Navajo there gave me his medicine bag he had kept for 30 years to me, saying that it would help me for the next few years. And it did
I hope to go back and visit them soon, and travel around to other reservations, although from what I have heard it is hard to travel on some of them.

You are very welcome!
Yes, the cover page is kind of biased but at least you can understand where that comes from! The links though, what info and what a source to get it from than the stories of and from the ancients themselves?

How fortunate you are to have been able to have that experience with the Navajo people! Was this on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico or Northern AZ? I have a (white) friend who teaches school on the Navajo/Hopi reservation in AZ. He says it is a tough existence but he would not trade it for anything in the world.
I envy you and anyone who can partake in the spiritual rituals of old.
Do you still have the medicine bag?

------------------

Old 08-31-2001, 09:49 PM   #9
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Well, well! That makes me glad. Unreal Moni.

It is a blessing to me that I can share some of the heritage of the native people's of this land. As little (heritage) as it may be, my heart beats with the rythym of the original America.
In spite of the contrast it is to feel one culture but to have to live through another, I am glad too.
Thank you!

------------------

Old 08-31-2001, 09:49 PM   #10
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
You are very welcome!
Yes, the cover page is kind of biased but at least you can understand where that comes from! The links though, what info and what a source to get it from than the stories of and from the ancients themselves?

How fortunate you are to have been able to have that experience with the Navajo people! Was this on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico or Northern AZ? I have a (white) friend who teaches school on the Navajo/Hopi reservation in AZ. He says it is a tough existence but he would not trade it for anything in the world.
I envy you and anyone who can partake in the spiritual rituals of old.
Do you still have the medicine bag?

It was the Navajo reservation at the Four Corners. I was coming from Utah direction so I think its the same one you are talking about. It was the high point of my life and wouldnt have traded it for anything. And yes I still have the medicine bag and have added to it in the last few years. Although i dont wear it that often as it is old and might fall apart from overuse.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."