Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2001, 05:37 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well Dark Piper, looks like your thread hasn't turned out all that pleasant

Myself, guess I'm the oddball, I actually enjoyed every Anne Rice book that I have read, and I've read them all What about you DP? How many books of hers have you read?

------------------
Old 08-31-2001, 06:05 PM   #12
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well Dark Piper, looks like your thread hasn't turned out all that pleasant

Myself, guess I'm the oddball, I actually enjoyed every Anne Rice book that I have read, and I've read them all What about you DP? How many books of hers have you read?

Sorry, Ladyzekke! No personal insult intended to fans of the series, least of all to you!

------------------

Old 08-31-2001, 06:18 PM   #13
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Personally I enjoyed the first three vampire books but have read nothing more of her work. The Queen of the Damned movie will take off a few years after Louis left Lestat in New Orleans. There are a number of websites dedicated to the movie. I am surprised so many don't know about it. The Movie of Interview with the Vampire was also good, in my opinion. But you know what they say about opinions.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:22 PM   #14
Ladyzekke

No insult taken Fljotsdale I just thought that perhaps DarkPiper was looking for positive feedback re the upcoming movie, not criticisms about her books. Dark Piper doesn't make many threads either, I would not want to see him get discouraged.

------------------
Old 08-31-2001, 06:26 PM   #15
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Personally I enjoyed the first three vampire books but have read nothing more of her work. The Queen of the Damned movie will take off a few years after Louis left Lestat in New Orleans. There are a number of websites dedicated to the movie. I am surprised so many don't know about it. The Movie of Interview with the Vampire was also good, in my opinion. But you know what they say about opinions.

Wulfere - No, I had no idea about another Anne Rice book being made into a movie! doh! Got a good link to one of those websites you mentioned on ya?

------------------
Old 08-31-2001, 07:42 PM   #16
Fljotsdale

Quote:
No insult taken Fljotsdale I just thought that perhaps DarkPiper was looking for positive feedback re the upcoming movie, not criticisms about her books. Dark Piper doesn't make many threads either, I would not want to see him get discouraged.

Gosh! Me neither! Please don't be discouraged, Dark Piper! I know how difficult it can be to think of a good topic to post and if everyone who responds is negative it is very off-putting!
Sincere apologies. Keep those posts coming!

------------------

Old 09-01-2001, 12:28 AM   #17
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Dude! A bit callous when talking about human life, don't you think?

Ah I apologize to anyone offended, and you Memnoch. Was'nt in too good a mood and my tongue got ahead of myself..

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 09-01-2001, 10:28 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Er...DarkPiper is a she, as far as I know.

------------------
Old 09-01-2001, 10:33 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
C'mon you guys! Let's face it - Anne Rice had a couple of good ideas and almost brought them off with a very few of her books (Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, [and Servant of the Bones]). But she is hopeless at endings, and her latest books are just sucking the clotted dregs from a long dead body.. She needs to go into a different genre to refresh her first creativity.

F how can you say this? The ending to Lestat was quite amazing to say the least. And the ending to Pandora was really good, she got good closure there. Her style of writing, while cloying and overly descriptive to some, are second to none in its sensuality and ability to induce empathy for her characters (even the evil ones). However I do agree with you that the last couple (like Vittorio the Vampire) were not up to her usual high standards. But the more of her books you read, the more you become immersed in her world and the more you want to read. Maybe she's not an acquired taste for you?

If this develops a life of its own, I might move it to the books forum - we need some lively discussion in there.

------------------
Old 09-01-2001, 07:22 PM   #20
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
F how can you say this? The ending to Lestat was quite amazing to say the least. And the ending to Pandora was really good, she got good closure there. Her style of writing, while cloying and overly descriptive to some, are second to none in its sensuality and ability to induce empathy for her characters (even the evil ones). However I do agree with you that the last couple (like Vittorio the Vampire) were not up to her usual high standards. But the more of her books you read, the more you become immersed in her world and the more you want to read. Maybe she's not an acquired taste for you?

If this develops a life of its own, I might move it to the books forum - we need some lively discussion in there.

Memnoch, I agree about feeling empathy for her characters; she does that VERY well. Its the only reason I read her books! I also like descriptive books - I grew up with Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling as some of my favourite authors, then I found Tolkien...
But her endings, to use the modern terminology, just suck.
Imho, she only wrote 3 really good books - Servant of the Bones, Interview with a Vampire, and The Vampire Lestat (yeah, that was her best ending, I think - been a while since I read it). I recently read Pandora, and , oh boy, was it dreadful! As I said - sucking the clotted dregs from long dead bodies.
Sorry to be so negative, Memnoch, but it really was a terrible piece of writing, though quite good in parts - like the curates egg.

------------------