Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 02:21 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Been growing bit by bit. Went to a Yankees game last night and kept thinking how such and such would have, or wouldn't have happened in cricket. I put on a record I produced in January with a cellist I work with. The cello makes me weep at the best of times, but it brought home the fact that I had a lot in Sydney, and how little in terms of contacts, gear, support etc. I have here. Self doubt has crept in.

This is a music capital of the world no doubt and I'm being used in the church here, but it's not easy. Visa hassles make simply working a huge issue. There is a lot of ugliness in NYC, from the blackened chewing gum littered all over sidewalks, to rats, pollution and run down buildings. But then there is the sheer mass of humanity and the cultural melting pot that draws and births artistic folk to it.

Oh well. I may delete this soon as I don't want to bring anyone down. Look at it as my therapy....

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-29-2001, 02:23 PM   #2
Lioness
Jack Burton

YANKEES!!!!! Did I hear the word YANKEES?!?! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR!! *goes into berserker mode*

D*** YANKEES! BOO! BOO!

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Old 08-29-2001, 02:28 PM   #3
Conan

Picture all the yellow cabs as a field of tulips in Holland, the gum as diamonds in the rough, ugliness is but a mere shadow of the night passing threw...hang in there! Yankees will probably go all the way again..not quite sure.

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 08-29-2001).]

Old 08-29-2001, 02:31 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I can well understand your feelings of homesickness, oh wandering bardic one. How many months has it been, now? It would be hard for me to be gone that long from my home...heck, I get antsy after a few days.

Will you be able to return home soon? I hope for your sake that you can. You need to touch base with your natal earth.

Cheers and warm wishes,

------------------
Old 08-29-2001, 02:35 PM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Been growing bit by bit. Went to a Yankees game last night and kept thinking how such and such would have, or wouldn't have happened in cricket. I put on a record I produced in January with a cellist I work with. The cello makes me weep at the best of times, but it brought home the fact that I had a lot in Sydney, and how little in terms of contacts, gear, support etc. I have here. Self doubt has crept in.

This is a music capital of the world no doubt and I'm being used in the church here, but it's not easy. Visa hassles make simply working a huge issue. There is a lot of ugliness in NYC, from the blackened chewing gum littered all over sidewalks, to rats, pollution and run down buildings. But then there is the sheer mass of humanity and the cultural melting pot that draws and births artistic folk to it.

Oh well. I may delete this soon as I don't want to bring anyone down. Look at it as my therapy....

oh my, Yorick. I thought man as wise as you are free of doubts, anxiety... well, I am not in your shoes, so I dont know what to say.

sometimes a big fall of life can be quite a crashing. you just have to endure, and keep the positive side of you functioning. it is a very very long process of healing, but as the pain passes, you become wiser and understand more about yourself and the world around you.

I have faith in you mate, whatever you are going through!
Old 08-29-2001, 02:35 PM   #6
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Hang in there man.....Are you going back for Christmas?

------------------

TD..TD...
Old 08-29-2001, 02:38 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Yorick, I am going to Sydny during Christmas, wanna meet?
Old 08-29-2001, 02:44 PM   #8
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Very sorry to hear that, Yorick ! And the following I've heard might seem trite, but what the heck:

1) The bigger a city is the more it "goes to extremes". Even though I myself have not made it myself to NYC I could imagine it to be the perfect example for that: certainly not a good place to be when you are in a gloomy mood, selective perception kicks in and starts to concentrate on all the extremely depressing, ugly and outrageous that is surely very easily found there ...

2) Homesickness is also a good sign, because it hits those the hardest who have really something to look forward to coming back to.

I am sure you know all of this better than I do, but sometimes and in certain moods we need to be reminded of the obvious ...

Good luck and take care !

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 08-29-2001).]
Old 08-29-2001, 02:46 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hey thanks guys, Saz Nick, that is the plan yeah.

250 thanks mate. Thankyou for your compliments. "Wisdom" is not numbness. All the lessons of life can never be learned in totality. "The more I know the less I understand". What "wisdom" can bring is skills to meet challenges rather than be bested by them.

There is a saying "our greatest achievements are disguised as insurmountable obstacles".

Also there is a difference between knowing the solution, and acting out the solution. Choosing a positive perspective is a choice, but one that can sometimes be difficult.

I suppose I feel better already Thanks again.

------------------

Old 08-29-2001, 02:48 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Very sorry to hear that, Yorick ! And the following I've heard might seem trite, but what the heck:

1) The bigger a city is the more it "goes to extremes". Even though I myself have not made it myself to NYC I could imagine it to be the perfect example for that: certainly not a good place to be when you are in a gloomy mood, selective perception kicks in and starts to concentrate on all the extremely depressing, ugly and outrageous that is surely very easily found there ...

2) Homesickness is also a good sign, because it hits those the hardest who have really something to look forward to coming back to.

I am sure you know all of this better than I do, but sometimes and in certain moods we need to be reminded of the obvious ...

Good luck and take care !

Thankyou Ramon, o' lurker of lurkers

------------------