Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2001, 09:45 AM   #1
Zingara63
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am trying to kill Firdraag and have been unsuccessful. I need help BAD!!! Please give me any suggestions. Thanks.

------------------
Jump on my sword evil, hero coming through.
-Minsc.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:52 AM   #2
sanken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cast protective spells on your party, especially fire protective spells. Summon creatures for fodder. Then let the mage/s cast "lower resistance" 2 or 3 times, on him. Then just keep the mages using "magic missile" on him.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:01 AM   #3
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

spoiler.............. cheese tactic dont read unless youre desperate.
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
oke you must be desperate. cast Magic Resistance on him and that will lower his resistance to 20% now you can cast Lower Resistance and that will lower his resistance even more (depends on the level of the caster) SEnd in your summoned creatures for fodder and blast him with magic missile and every other offensive spell you have while hacking him to bits with the best magic weapons you have.
'
'
'
'further spoiler'
'
'
'
'
'
'once youve done all that if you have a monk hit him with quivering palm and its adios Firkraag.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2001, 10:22 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

General Dragon fighting tips,
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Summon creatures to 'distract' the Dragon for you. The summoned creatures are not meant to kill the Dragon for you, but rather, act as a 'shield' while your party deals out the pain on the Dragon. As summons die, summon more.

Note also, summons should be in front and at the sides of the Dragon, while your melee party members(MPM) should be at the back. This is to prevent your MPMs from being affected by the Dragon's Wing Buffet and Dragon's Breath.

Archers and Mages should be as far away as possible from the Dragon. While your summons and MPMs are wailing away on the Dragon, your ranged units should be pounding on the Dragon with various missiles and spells.

Use your best missile ammunitions, you are after all, fighting a Dragon. For spells, Greater Malison, Lower Resist, Magic Missile and Insect Plague are some good examples. If you're high level enough, Greater Malison followed by Finger of Death is also a great choice. Don't forget Breach too, it's very useful for getting rid of the stoneskins that Dragons like to cast on themselves in BG2.

Also, whenever any of your party members hit 50% Hp or below, gulp a potion, don't push your luck and try to hold on a little bit more. Haste on your fighters is a good choice too. Try to bless and enchant your entire party before fighting the Dragon, coz you will want to use nothing but disabling and attack spells when you engage the Dragon.

Improved Invisibilty is a great spell for your MPMs too, reduces their chances of being hit.

Whew, that's not all to it, but I hope it's enough for you to succeed. Good luck!

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 07-12-2001, 04:30 PM   #5
Darviathar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you want your casters to be of much use during the battle (other than as fodder summoners), you're going to have to reduce the dragon's resistance. Even a powerful tank with an AC of negative 8 or better is going to need some help. If all else fails, then leave Firkraag for now, and head back later. I tried in vain to overcome him early in the game (with my pc's 10th level or so) and found that it was rather impossible. Wait until your characters are higher level, and you'll find that you seem to catch just enough breaks to win the battle. The first time through the game I was able to defeat him by using gated demons (7th level priest type) as a distraction while my tank characters simply hacked away. Firkraag was much tougher than the Shadow Dragon was, and it wasn't his breath that really did me in (just use the fire resist spells and put the dragon helm on your PC if he can wear it). If your party is a little underpowered in the tank category, you might try putting a few of your stand by characters on the bench, and adding tougher NPC's just for the battle (Minsc, Korgath, Keldorn, etc).
Old 07-12-2001, 04:38 PM   #6
Tuor
Elminster

You'll need at least two decent 13th level fighters with AC of -4 or better to kill Firkaag reasonably comfortably. But summoned creatures help as does improved invisibility. Magic attacks are of limited help because of his magic resistance so keep your mages far away and have them keep plugging away.

Spread your party out so he cat hit them all with wing buffet and expect some of your characters to die unless you're lucky.

Also remember to resurrect them before the dragon dies or they'll miss the xp.
Old 07-12-2001, 04:39 PM   #7
Istaron
Banned User

Magic resistance followed by petrification

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 07-12-2001, 05:14 PM   #8
bygones01
Dungeon Master

i never worried about his magic resistance, and my fighters were only about level 10 or so. ALL you have to do is constantly summon monsters and animals and have everyone else either hit him with arrows or spells (like magic missile). even though you'll have 5 summoned creatures out keep summoning more because by the time you're done casting some of them will be dead. and that's pretty much it. like other people said the summoned guys are only there to distract and block while your party takes off 5 or 6 damage here and there.
seeyoulater
Old 07-12-2001, 05:17 PM   #9
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Try casting a couple of (often overlooked or forgotten) silence spells his way. He ain't that hard

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:05 PM   #10
oldbittercraig
Elminster

my buddy killed the first black dragon, after getting Aerie chunked and half his party beaten down, by a shot in the dark casting of "Feeblemind". It stuck, they pummeled the inert dragon.

Has anyone tried to kill him in the Copper Coronet? I've always fought back the desire to force attack him then and there...