Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2001, 05:47 PM   #1
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I've played through BG2 about 4 times now, but I'm still finding certain bits tough, even though I know whats coming and have come prepared. Forget Firkragg (1st attempt Lev 9/10 party), Kangaxx (1st attempt lev 12/14 party) etc...
The bits I still find hard are those areas with mindflayers and beholders (not using cheesey methods). I know the're coming, but I still often loose party members. I think this helps add to the enormas replay value in the game, I still can't waltz around destroying everying in my path, I still have to think about it.

How about everyone else, what do you still find tricky?
Old 07-05-2001, 06:07 PM   #2
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Playing with a party I would have to give you an emphatic no, I know the puzzles and spell system backwards so its too easy but there is a way to make it hard again. Solo through the game, that can make hard again. Best of all you can do it with anyclass -beastmasters I think or at least I refuse to try it.

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 06:14 PM   #3
joetbd
Manshoon

It kind of depends. If I am willing to use all/any of my scrolls, gulp all of my healing potions, and exhaust all of my charged items, I can bring most monsters to their knees. But when I try and conserve, and try to save something for the next fight, then enemy mages typically make my life difficult most. Suneer, in Chapter seven, killed me 4 times, before I threw caution to the wind and let my Big magic fly.

As far as Mind Flayers and Beholders, they are impossible for me, if they are in a group, I have to take them out one at a time. Their mind attacks are so rapid fire, that charging toward them is like running at a machine gun nest.

My main character is a fighter, with lots of magical gear, and all my skill points spend in long sword and two handed weapon style. Most straight melee combat is right up my alley.

Old 07-05-2001, 06:27 PM   #4
joetbd
Manshoon

"I know the puzzles and spell system backwards " (and forwards?)

There are many players that how to counter-act every enemy spell. There is nothing the game makers can do about this. There has to be a way to kill every monster, if there wasn't the game would be impossible. Sure, if you know crip-ta-nite does superman in, killing superman is easy too.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:31 PM   #5
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Well of course it gets easy how can it not but thats games in general, BTW I soloed a Kensai so it wouldnt be so easy and had a lot of fun bringing him through BG1 and BG2.

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 06:36 PM   #6
Gustave
The Magister

Behoiders are easy, normal liches were simple and Firkaag was not extremely difficult. The most annoyinig dragon in the game is probably the Shadow Dragon(Shade Lord Dungeon) with his level draining abilities. The most annoying creature, in my opinion, is the stupid Mind Flayers when they are in large groups. Beholders in large groups aren't overly difficult, nor is the Drow and other races. Dragons in a large group may pose a problem, but that won't happen. Most annoying spell has to be either any of the domination spells, confusion, or the higher stun spells..
Old 07-05-2001, 07:14 PM   #7
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

If your soloing it then any sucessful imprisonment, mazing, confusion or charm spell will prematureley end your game. Best get some armour or weapons with immunity to those types of spells

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 11:59 PM   #8
Anubis
Dungeon Master

I hate mind flayers. I'd rather fight a bunch of liches before them. I usually cast chaos on my fighters so they wont be dominated. But you have to keep an eye out on how much intelligence is being sucked out. Once its at 0 they are dead.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:58 AM   #9
TheDutkanator

I found a great way for thieves to take out those incredulous flayers.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
It requires the use of a somewhat large quantity of invisibility potions (depending on how good your thief is). Hide, backstab, invisibility. Repeat. OR, boots of speed/oil of speed/haste spell. Hide, backstab, run, hide. This one is more risky, but USUALLY works. Problem is that you might succumb to flayer attacks before you get away. Just quick-save after each successful hit and run.
This is NOT a cheese tactic. ANY thief in their right mind would gladly use this tactic against a group of any monsters. It's "what they do", "what they're good at".

------------------

Let's get'em guen!

Quote:
"I'm sorry, did I kill you?" -TheDutkanator
Old 07-06-2001, 09:21 AM   #10
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

The mind flayers are about the only thing I find difficult now. I just fought them with a party with no cleric, therefore no chaotic commands. They're just hard that they always stun you so easily. Shdow dragons no problem, Twisted rune was mildly annoying but not too bad. Shangalar was the only hard one there. I always try to use as few potions and wands as possible and reload if anyone dies so this tends to add a bit more challenge.

------------------
visit www.zipworld.com.au/~wsgs