Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-04-2001, 08:11 PM   #1
Maz T'aim
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, well this is my first shot at the Ironworks forum, and I'd like to get a kind of poll about one the the major issues when creating any character: Whether or not, for the player character in the long run, multi-classing is a better way to go rather than going with a straight kit. Multi-classing doesn't give you a kit selection and splits any experience you recieve between your two (or three) classes, thus dropping how fast you advance plus lowering the total amount of levels you can achieve... while going with a regular kit gets you its special abilities (and restrictions), plus being able to go all the way to the exp. cap on the levels the character can achieve, but not having the fearsome ability to combine the features of diffrent classes.
I know what I did with my character, but what did you do, and why?
Old 07-05-2001, 12:29 AM   #2
Alaric
Manshoon

Greetings Maz T'aim. Welcome to the forum.

There is another option. You can have a dual-classed character. In order to do this you have to be a human. You start life in one class and then later on swith to another class. You have to have a 17 or better in the prime requisite of the class that you want to switch to and meet any other requirements for that class (i.e., you could not have a Lawful Good theif). You then start at level one in the new class and continue to advance in levels in your new class. Once your level in your new class is higher than the level of your old class, you can start using your abilities of your old class. However, you can never switch back to your old class. From the point that you swith you will only gain levels in your new class. I believe that in some cases you can even chose a kit for your classes but am not totaly sure about that.

For example, if you had a thief with a 17 intelligence, he/she could then become a mage. Once his/her level as a mage is greater than his level as a thief, he will be able to use his thief abilities again.

I am planning to start Baldur Gate II again with a Figher who will become a mage at Level 9. I am not sure what kit I will use for my fighter.

[This message has been edited by Alaric (edited 07-05-2001).]
Old 07-05-2001, 02:46 PM   #3
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Dual classing is a most powerful option, but there is a limit regarding total experience. If you dual class too late in the first career, there is a real possibility that the character might get capped and be unable to advance beyond a low level in the second career.

If that happens, you'll be locked out of your earlier abilities.

The experience cap remover is a reasonable way to overcome this problem.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:49 PM   #4
Dramnek_Ulk

Ranger+CLeric= ALL faith magic spells, which is souper dooper.

------------------
Ten leagues ride on lathered steed,
Gold in hand to a sword-for-hire,
A blood-eagle carved by Saxon steel,
And two score slain earns royal ire.

Gwynned lies two days westwards,
Still further south, the weregeld calls.
Mayhap with All-Father Woden's favour,
My deeds may yet inspire the skalds.

Old 07-05-2001, 02:54 PM   #5
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I for one dont really like multiclassing, in my eyes (and this is just my opinion ) the reason that you have six spaces in a party is so that you can have an even spread of characters... multi classing, and especially dual classing, looks to me as if you're trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of a character instead of roleplaying it.....which i think gives more satisfaction.

But then thats just my opinion, playing a walking god does have its advantages

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 02:55 PM   #6
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Oho, and by the way -

WELCOME to the forum!

Old 07-05-2001, 02:57 PM   #7
Dramnek_Ulk

not that you can much in the game,but dual classing does allow for roleplaying like you see the manifestation of helm on the celestial staircase getting medeival on mystras ass, so you decide to become a priest of helm etc etc. Or in the game you see the might of jon irenicus as a amge so you turn from the path of a fighter to being a mage etc etc.

------------------
Ten leagues ride on lathered steed,
Gold in hand to a sword-for-hire,
A blood-eagle carved by Saxon steel,
And two score slain earns royal ire.

Gwynned lies two days westwards,
Still further south, the weregeld calls.
Mayhap with All-Father Woden's favour,
My deeds may yet inspire the skalds.

Old 07-05-2001, 03:26 PM   #8
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
not that you can much in the game,but dual classing does allow for roleplaying like you see the manifestation of helm on the celestial staircase getting medeival on mystras ass, so you decide to become a priest of helm etc etc. Or in the game you see the might of jon irenicus as a amge so you turn from the path of a fighter to being a mage etc etc.

Touché.

but i wasnt slating the RPing ability of dual or multiclassing....just that I preffered straight clases.

------------------
Old 07-06-2001, 11:37 AM   #9
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin, Thief of Hearts:
Dual classing is a most powerful option, but there is a limit regarding total experience. If you dual class too late in the first career, there is a real possibility that the character might get capped and be unable to advance beyond a low level in the second career.

If that happens, you'll be locked out of your earlier abilities.

The experience cap remover is a reasonable way to overcome this problem.
Ahhhhhhhhhh so true BUT if you dual class to early you can miss out on some of he special abilites you would have gained in the original class. Personally I would dua class when there really wasnt too much more to gain from the first class. Take a figher for example, to mage, You want to go fairly high asa fighter (or berserker because they gain more Berserks with levels) then dual to mage because fighters have higher hit points. Once youve basicly wrung all you can from the fihter class then its time to dual to mage.

One thing you dont want to do IMO is dual from mage to fighter because mages have crap HP. Fighters have much better HP so go from fighter to mage and it will give your character better HP and survivablity.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2001, 11:43 AM   #10
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

A question to you all. Is it possible to multi class from a warrior to a sorcerer? If it is I may have to start BG II again.
And another think, if you multiclass, are there still weapon limitation to your second class. Or will I have a mage who can use a sword?