Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Mad

You can read the original article here

Quote:
LEGO Gets Pissy About Brand Name

Growing up, our house was always full of LEGOS. Boxes and boxes of LEGOS. There were elaborate trucks made out of LEGOS; strange flying machines; entire cities constructed out of LEGOS. Friends would come over and spend hours playing with LEGOS. Grandparents, aunts and uncles would marvel at the creations. It was fun. It kept us out of Mom's hair. As entertaining as this was, we never knew that every time we uttered the word LEGOS, we were pissing off a member of the LEGO brand management police. That's right. LEGO has no 'S.' It's just plain LEGO. Though, since time began, it seems kids the world over have been abusing the LEGO brand by calling them LEGOS. We know of no one who "plays with LEGO." Everyone "plays with LEGOS," of course.

While there's nothing wrong with a company protecting its brand name, LEGO is chastising customers who refer to the company as LEGOS (with an S) when visiting the incorrect URL, LEGOS.com, and asking that their product be referred to as LEGO bricks or LEGO toys. Visit LEGOS.com and you will see what we mean. Rather than simply, and blindly, redirecting people to LEGO.com, LEGO inserts a ten second wrist slap to those visiting LEGOS.com before auto-progressing to them to LEGO.com. We can't fault LEGO for protecting its brand but in our entire life, we, and everyone else in our life, have never known the brand as LEGO but, rather, as LEGOS. Of course that's an entirely unscientific and, therefore, worthless statement but, even so, we marvel at the irony of spending our entire career, to date, in advertising and screwing up a brand name as popular as LEGO since birth. We apologize profusely LEGOS, uh, LEGO.

UPDATE: As many of our non-U.S. readers have helpfully pointed out, this seems to be an Americanism. Our propensity to slap an 'S' on the end of anything to make it plural is not the usual practice in other English speaking countries around the world. It's Sport in Britain. Sports in America. Etc.
If you haven’t seen the LEGOS website, click here

I have always known it as LEGO rather than LEGOS, but as the update says, it seems to only be an American thing....
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

LEGOs are just "more than one" LEGO. Kinda like the real name of the toys are "Transformer," but when I'd play with my friends asa kid, we played with our Transformers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I hate arguments that are solely based upon semantics.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 AM   #4
mad=dog

LEGO is an abbreviation of "LEg GOdt" which literally translated means "Play well" in English. The term LEGOS makes absolutely no sense in Danish. The proper plural of LEGO is LEGO. (For the unaware - LEGO is a Danish concept and invention)
Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I've always known it as plural 'LEGO'.

One LEGO two LEGO. What's the difference with 'sheep'?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Everyone calls it Lego over here.ANd everyone knows you guys in the US are notorious for making up words as you go along
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

that's what makes us so fabulastic, aragorn1!

V***V
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I think you'd better be careful not to misunderestimate us.

[ 09-08-2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Hmm, I always called it LEGO myself. I think it's you folks who have the problem to be honest...

[img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I agree. I've never heard it called 'Legos' before encountering Americans... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote