Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man The City

I've been thinking about a city project. It's not a collaboration, but something new and exciting! Alright, it's kind of a collaboration. The idea is that someone (that would probably be me) creates a base for other designers to add onto. The base would consist of the core of a city and a grand and expansive items database.This base would be uploaded someplace where anyone could download it for their own use. The base would have at least 4 "gates" to other parts of the city. A designer would create their level, in whatever flavor they so desired, and then upload the parts to be added on. The base creator would update the package, etc. etc.
The base maintainer would keep track of who is working on what area and using what level numbers, etc.
Ideally, designers would put one or more gates in their section to yet other sections that are yet unexplored. The city could grow exponentially.
As creator of a section, you would be welcome to do whatever you wanted - choose whatever graphics style add NPCs, quests, combats etc. The only caveats would be - (1) You have to continue the resolution established and and viewport znd bigpic sizes. (2) You're not allowed to change anybody elses section but you can collaborate (3) Keep it PG-13, i.e. fit for consumption by 13 year olds and older.

This thread will be a place to talk about the project, but also a place to list tips and tricks for city design and a place to ask all of your city related questions. It may be that there are folks who want to participate, but don't have the time to make a level or two, so they could just post some of their great advice here.

I was thinking about how the map will lay out - the city center (ostensibly what I will be creating) should be a size that will either be the basis for all other "squares" of the map, or it could be that the base creator sets a size for that level alone and it's up to the other designers for what they want to do; or option 3, the base creator creates an interlocking map of levels of various sizes so that a person could work on a smaller or bigger section as to what they feel comfortable with.

SilentThief is the first on-board with me, so come on everyone else! Let me know if you want to participate now if you want to be part of the initial planning process, or feel free to join in at any time in the future.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: The City

The City project is now live. Actually, I put the page up last night but then went to babysit my 5 month old nephew. I tweaked the base.zip this morning for good measure...

The City project is now ready for your participation. Please see the The City webpage for a diagram of the layout and to download the base package, which is weighing in at a slim 1038499 bytes (less than 1 MB) and would have been smaller had I remembered to take out the sound files.
Notice that there are no monsters in the monster database. This is so we can build the monster database together and only include monsters that are being used. This is to help keep the file size manageable (not just in size, but in quantity of files).
When you upoen the design in DC, your editor should populate the design with some of the default art, like a title image, but if it doesn't, don't worry. We can add anything we want to this project.

Here are the rules -
(1) You have to continue to use the resolution established and and viewport and bigpic sizes - the resolution is 640x480
(2) You're not allowed to change anybody else's section but you can collaborate - if you see any typos or other bugs, just post about them here
(3) Keep it PG-13, i.e. fit for consumption by 13 year olds and older
(4) You section of the city comes with 4 extra levels to use as you see fit - second story, sewer, dungeons, etc. - they are the 4 levels immediately following your Ward level
(5) First come, first served - the sooner you let us know which Ward you've chosen, the better.
(5a) Once you've chosen your Ward, the first thing to do is to link to the Wards around it which do not already have a link, for example all Wards that can initially be chosen are linked to the City Center. Post the link locations here so other designers can match up their links. Again, this is first come, first served - if you announce first, you get to decide. But, as always feel free to negotiate with your neighbors to work out something that is mutually beneficial
(6) Do not change the level linking events that have been placed in your level - PM me with any changes you would like an I will take care of it so that it goes in the base for everybody

I think that about covers the rules part, now let me get to what we can do (which will hopefully answer some of the questions that have arisen).

City Style/Theme - whatever you would like. For example, do you want to do something that looks sci-fi (PM me about items)? Go for it! I only ask, but don't require that you try and think up a reason why the stting/theme is different from the other Wards of the city.
Art - anything goes. You can use any of the great pieces posted on the various websites or create brand new art. Use whatever you would like, and ask away to request new art, too.
NPCs - feel free to make as many NPCs as you need for your Ward. Collaborate with your neighbors if they have someone you would like to occasionally visit your Ward.

Any questions? Anything I didn't cover? I always forget at least one important thing, so please let me know what it was this time.

Edited to add: I forget to mention that you may change the artwork that is put in each of the levels by default to mark where the transfer to the City Center is, just note that that is what it looks like coming from the other direction.

Last edited by manikus; 10-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Standard Money? What about spell list/special abilities?

I would say for simplicity, standard money. And if you use special ability, you include a text file so the next designer knows.

ST
Old 10-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

For now, the spell list is the default one and money is set to the default. It is very easy to add spells at any time and we can add other money types, so there is no need to get rid of the default which I am utilizing.

What do you mean by special abilities? Do you mean scripted things?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

I've been at work on the City Center. The building footprint is done, though I will be changing up some of the walls. In my level there are doors placed already as well. This afternoon, I will start placing the various shops, government offices, temples, guild headquarters, etc. I will be keeping a running list of what I've added and it's location for my sanity and anybody else's interest.

I'm also going to be adding a sewer level, so let me know if you are interested in having a sewer hook-up for your city Ward.

What should we name this city? I nominate Ygareggaxy (in honor of AD&D's founder).

In the map, the blue segments are archways.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
City Style/Theme - whatever you would like. For example, do you want to do something that looks sci-fi (PM me about items)? Go for it! I only ask, but don't require that you try and think up a reason why the stting/theme is different from the other Wards of the city.
This is the only point that makes me sceptic right now. I have nothing against SciFi meets Medieval Fantasy. However, the above implies for me I could even add a perfect copy of let's say the outskirts of Paris, and another author could add a huge termite hill, and the coordinator has to decide how to put that together.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

It's actually much scarier than that. I will not be deciding how it works together, I think that should be the duty of the level creator. I will, of course, offer any counsel the person needs, and maybe a little prodding.

It might even be that the designers who have adjoining sections of the city might add tales (text events or tavern tales) about the areas around them. You now, something like, "Most decent folk in these parts steer clear of the Scifer section of town. I been there once and it's full of all kinds of weird looking buildings and odd contraptions. I wouldn't trust someone from the Scifer section for a second." Please note that this example sets up that there may be incongruities between the two areas, while at the same time promoting the other area as a place of intrigue, which will surely cause the PCs to visit at least once.

We are respectful human beings in this community, so I don't expect anyone will disrespect their fellow designers. If by some weird circumstance that does occur, we can deal with that then. A major goal of this project is to get us talking with each other. So, maybe someone announces that they want to do a sci-fi section and someone else hates the idea, we should be able to work out a compromise, like maybe there are sci-fi elements, or maybe just inside the Ward limits are teleporters to a strange city within the city, or maybe there are sci-fi items, but explained in fantasy terms such as some of the early AD&D mods. (I'm doing a fantasy section by the way, with no sci-fi or termite hill elements. )
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: The City

I thought I would post the links to a series of wonderful articles from the UANLs. Not only does Merric provide great ideas, he clearly lays out how to create the events.

CITIES: by Merric Blackman
CITIES -- The Guard
CITIES -- The Thieves' Guild
CITIES -- Thieves and Moneylenders
CITIES -- The Mage's Academy
CITIES -- Time and Quests
CITIES -- Temples and Alignment
CITIES -- More on Alignment
CITIES -- The Arena

Last edited by manikus; 08-23-2009 at 10:36 AM.
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

I've been think more about the name, and I am going to nominate Erraxy. It's still a nod to the founder of the modern RPG, of course. The citizens of Erraxy are known as Erraxans, who produce Erraxian goods in an Erraxite style.

Since no one else is doing anything on this project right now, and it's been clearly stated that it's first come, first serve; I'm going to name the city Erraxy. (In all fairness I did post on this topic a few days ago and if someone absolutely hates it, we can always compromise.)
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

The reason why I have not yet claimed a city part is that I want to make some more progress with "Helmetlands".