Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2001, 03:24 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What possesses people to come up with anthrax hoaxes at a time when there is widespread concern over this? This is almost as bad as spreading the disease itself as it gives you an insight into the perverted minds of these people. Taking advantage of other people's fears is just sick.

From the Australian newspaper:

Terror hoax crackdown
By Jamie Walker, Ian Henderson and staff reporters
October 17, 2001
JOHN Howard pledged last night to double penalties for terror-by-post hoaxers after another rash of anthrax scares stretched emergency services to breaking point across the nation.

He said the new law would carry a maximum of 10 years' jail. It would make it a federal offence to mail or courier anything with the intention of "inducing a false belief or fear" that the article contained explosive or dangerous substances, or that any explosive or dangerous substances would be left in a particular place.

Plans for tougher penalties came as a seven-month-old boy became the latest US victim of bio-terrorism, bringing to four the number of people with anthrax.

Security was tightened at the US Capitol and the White House after a letter received by Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle tested positive for anthrax.

Kim Beazley welcomed the new penalties but said Labor would introduce even tougher sentences if it won the November 10 election.

As the number of anthrax scares topped 130 nationally, West Australian police made the first arrests. Two male employees of the Cerebral Palsy Association in Perth were charged with sending a female colleague a powder-filled letter carrying the notation "from Osama bin Laden". They face a maximum of six months' jail and a $500 fine and will be liable for the cost of the emergency response if convicted.

At the same time, Victorian police released a computer-generated image of the man suspected of delivering a hoax letter to the Herald and Weekly Times office on Monday, forcing the building's evacuation and 17 people to undergo decontamination.

In the most serious of yesterday's incidents, four NSW police were taken to hospital after receiving "secondary exposure" to a powder in North Sydney, while a woman postal worker in Penrith broke out in a rash after coming into contact with a suspicious liquid leaking from a parcel.

There was high farce in Queensland after Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson revealed a QantasLink flight had been cordoned off at Mackay because a passenger had complained of a white powder on his Danish pastry.

West Australian police said the call-outs – 28 in that state alone yesterday – were a huge strain on emergency services.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:07 AM   #2
Garnet

....because some weird individuals get a thrill out of seeing authority figures scramble impotently........

Personally, I think there should be a *very* stiff penalty, nearly as harsh as that of the actual crime. Playing on people's fears in a time of unease and already confirmed peril is a sick form of twisted mentality.

Garnet
Old 10-19-2001, 08:19 AM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Yes, there are "very" stiff penalties for Anthrax hoaxes. I've heard from 5 to 15 years in prison and I also heard of fines up to one million dollars. At

Mark

[Edit] I wonder where that "At" came from?

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 10-19-2001).]
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
Garnet

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Yes, there are "very" stiff penalties for Anthrax hoaxes. I've heard from 5 to 15 years in prison and I also heard of fines up to one million dollars. At
Mark
GOOD!

Garnet

(uh-oh, does this qualify as spam?-------I didn't mean it, Memnoch! )

Old 10-19-2001, 10:17 AM   #5
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

There have been FOUR cases in the town where I live alone (Goettingen has 120thousand inhabitants) I wonder why these people do it... enjoy scaring everybody or what?. Punishment is up to 3 years + expenses of trial - not 10 years, SADLY.

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 11:13 AM   #6
mitsos

Because they enjoy chaos without running the risk of dying because all will end then.
I feel it's very inconsiderate and immature to do such things, particularly at such a time.