Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 09-17-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
justindavis
Dungeon Master

Just started a new game with a lizardman fighter. He currently is doing well with the Demon's Bane and a hammer as a secondary weapon to develop mace skills for Diamond Eyes. Long term, is it better to equip him with Bloodlust or keep fighting as is?

The stats on the DB seem to show it does more damage per round, but the BL allows you to melee and have higher initiative. I don't really care about swapping to a long range weapon with him so that does not bother me. Any opinions?
Old 09-17-2003, 02:37 PM   #2
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

With a Fighter I am guessing that you want him or her to also be expert in Ranged capability. If you equip a cursed weapon you will need to uncurse it every time you want to switch to your Bow. If you really don't care about that it's not an issue.

The Fighter already gets the Berserk capability that Bloodlust gives, so the main difference is Bloodlusts extra Swing vs loss of easily doing Ranged attacks. It might depend on your party or whether you have anyone else that can use it (like a Bard). Powerful weapon.

Better uncursed Weapons than Demon's Bane will be found later.

[ 09-17-2003, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: EEWorzelle ]
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
rbeane1
The Magister

Ya like FANG!!!
rbeane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
sultan

personally, i agree with eew and rb on this one. i'd rather have a ranged attack than a cursed weapon.

but, in the parties i've played without ranged, i've always chosen bloodlust, particularly for non-fighter classes (eg rogue, samurai), mostly because the demonsbane bonus (x2 to demons) is useless in the short-term, and the weapon becomes obsolete (yes, fang) in the long term.

however, i'm not clear on how the bloodlust berserk bonus works with fighters who already beserk. dont you get extra swings and an extra stack of damage? i thought the extra swing was due to the initiative bonus and the stack of damage from berserking (weapon) was added above the fighter berserking (class).

but, it's been a long time since i played it, so i may very well be wrong.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by sultan:
i thought the extra swing was due to the initiative bonus and the stack of damage from berserking (weapon) was added above the fighter berserking (class).
I can speak about the Swing and indicate it is something extra, just for that Weapon. Some Weapons and Characters can be fast enough to get four Attacks, but AFAIK, Bloodlust is the only way to get 4 Swings per attack. It is not unusual for my Bards at higher levels, using it, to get 11 Swings per round (4/4/3) with Beserk and +150% Damage for Strength=125, it is the second and last Weapon my Bard uses.

Regarding the Fighter getting a "Double Beserk Bonus" (or x3 instead of x2) for going Beserk with Bloodlust, I haven't heard of that (or tried it). That would be interesting.
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:07 AM   #6
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

You 'only' get x2 damage with a fighter using bloodlust.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

True. There are more powerful weapons in the game than the Bloodlust. But I like it better than the Demonsbane.

If you are really concern about cursed weapons, then the Bloodlust is not for you. At first I really hated the fact that it is cursed but I have grown to love the BL.

Right now I have a dracon fighter with 95 strength and 75 dexterity. I use the Bloodlust and Poison Dagger (both are cursed) and I get some big hits. I'm only half way through this game and I average about 35-50 on each individual hit from the Bloodlust and the Poison Dagger does about 10-17. So, at the most I hit around 117 (the maximum). These work well for me. However, my other combo is the Demonsbane and Baselard. They are not as good as the BL and PD. In fact, the DB averages around 12-17 for only one hit and the Baselard is about 5-11. I say, stick with the BL and PD.

Another thing I have to mention is that I don't use long range weapons with my fighter. In stead, his second weapon is the Bipennis (an axe). I honestly leave that (long range fighting) up to my spellcasters, bard (sling), ranger, and gadgeteer.

If it were up to me (and seeing how I like to make a lot of damage), stick with the "cursed" items until you get the "light sword" and "diamond eyes" (best dual weapons combo in the game).
Old 09-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think Antone should give you something in its place if you give it to him!
Old 09-20-2003, 07:19 PM   #9
sultan

...like a smack in the gob, since you stole it from him in the first place!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:14 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by sultan:
...like a smack in the gob, since you stole it from him in the first place!
He won't know since he never goes down to check. Plus he has no key card now! He already sees that you have it anyway.