Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-01-2001, 08:00 PM   #1
HiTman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I want to create a Fighter/Mage. When should I dual-class this character (do I start as a Fighter, lvl up a few, then dual, or do I just start out as both)? Or would you suggest that I make a Theif/Mage? All questions apply to both. The only other question for this is what weapon proficiencies should I max out in? For the Ranger/Cleric, are Maces or Flails better to be proficient in? Thanks for any input.

- HiT

------------------
A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.
- Stephen Dolley Jr.
HiTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 11:07 PM   #2
HiTman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Maybe a Bard instead?

- HiT

------------------
A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse.
- Stephen Dolley Jr.
HiTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2001, 07:32 PM   #3
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Bards are totally powerful in the expansion

cleric proficiencies are best spent on Maces to start; you don't get any really spanky flails until later (wyrm's tooth)but the flails kick too. hammers aren;t bad, but they are not a good primary weapon (though some give extra spells or kill certain baddies real good).
as for the fighter mage... i'd probably do a multiclass to get the best benefits of both right away. otherwise, dual classing would be wisest to be a fighter first so you get the hit points. at least level 7 (extra 1/2 attack) or 9 (extra weapon prof) but 13 is supposed to be the bonus level (another 1/2 attack... extra weapon prof at level 12) but my dual classed thief fighter didn;t get an extra half attack at 13 game flaw?
consider this: if your fighter gets level 9 then becomes a mage, as a mage he can later cast "tenser's transformation" to become a fighter of the same level. so it's not super important how high level the fighter is (i'd do at least 9); what's important are weapon specializations. you could specialize in dagger and master the longsword, then become a mage. there's a +3 enforcer longsword made only for the fighter mage.
i tried a mage thief the first time i played. they're cool, but they die so fast.. i gave him bow and dagger; spent on pick pockets and find remove traps. as a mage, the spell "knock" will pick any lock; invisibility is good stealth, picking pockets is good for getting items of Orrick in Kulduhar. the key is getting the "ring of aura transfusion" located in malavon's throne. it mages mages regenerate about a point a round. (combined with a bard singing "war chant of sith", the mage will never die)

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 04-02-2001).]
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote