Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #21
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
Just make sure you visit it's a small small world , once you've been on this ride, you'll never forget it.
Yeah, there's nothing like giving your kids a 6-year-old's worst earworm ever.

If you go to Orlando (maybe CA too, I don't know), I suggest you stay at a Disney resort, plan on spending several days, and take in Epcot while you're at it. Embed yourself in the Disney experience. Be the Mickey.

Oh, and targeting the middle days of the week, rather than the weekend, makes it much less annoying to deal with the crowd. Avoid federal holidays if at all possible.

And the air pollution in LA is not nearly what it once was. During the 70's you couldn't even see the mountains in the distance. California had such a hard time implementing the Clean Air Act in LA that the federalies came in an imposed a system because CA was not implementing the thing. It's gotten a lot better smog-wise in the last decades. From what I understand, anyway -- I haven't had the pleasure of visiting yet. Say hello to my LA office for me, though.

[ 02-25-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 02-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Zartan

I love Disneyworld, I spent a seven day pass with my entire family last winter in Orlando and still didn't have time to see or do it all! Total of four giant parks plus two water parks and lots more. Loved having dinner in Cinderella's castle. Loved Animal Kingdom, Loved Epcot. I love Disney world! I have never been to Disnyland in Cali, but Disney world is much bigger and better according to my family. Plus Universal Island of adventure is in Orlando as well. Excellent theme/thrill park!

Oh and if they offer an afterhours pass, take it!
You get entrance to the park after close for about three hours. They limit how many people get in by offering limited tickets and only to resort guests. Most of rides have 5 minute lines. I got to ride Space Mountain 10 times, Big Thunder at least five, and Big Slash Mountain a few times as well!

And if you do Orlando, do not miss the Aerosmith coaster at MGM/Disney if you like coasters. It is one of my top ten favorites.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:48 PM   #23
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Chewie: Is orlando seriously that fun? I might be goin' there next February
*Starts saving money*
Old 02-25-2004, 11:07 PM   #24
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Bah, Orlando is over-rated. Kids won't have fun at Epcot center; there's no rides, no Mickey [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Well there is one ride, but it's educational [img]tongue.gif[/img]

SoCal has Universal Studios as well. It's in Hollywood, but I'm not sure how similar the two are. Come to cali and you also have Lego Land (just downwind of the airport I fly out of), Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm (no it's not an actual berry farm, its an amusement park), and Seaworld (which FL has too).

Plus it'll be more $$ to fly to FL. I've looked at prices from LAX to Sydney and they're definatley not cheap...
Old 02-25-2004, 11:40 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Zartan

Epcot has the best end-of -the night fireworks and the best food! It also has the excellent aquarium and Test Track as well as the new Mission Space ride.

Universal Islands of Adventure has the Hulk Coaster, my second favorite anywhere! Also has the spiderman 3d ride that is revolutionary, Dr. Sueuss Land, The Dueling Dragons, and Cartoon world tons of fun!

I can't really dis Cali as I haven't been out there, but I do know that Orlando is a whole butt-load of fun for all ages! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-25-2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 02-26-2004, 01:45 AM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Epcot has the best end-of -the night fireworks and the best food!
Yep. I went during the 80s and this was true then. You can eat your way through all the countries. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] My parents thought I was weird because I ordered escargot in the France pavilion. I still love escargot to this day.

I want to go back, I'm just putting it off until I have kids. As a kid, btw, I did think Epcot was fun and informative, if a bit slow.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:17 AM   #27
wellard
Dracolisk

Thanks for the info so far guys and please keep it coming. It will be Disneyland south of LA (Anaheim) that we will go to. (Sorry FL)

Because we want to spend time in San Fran, Carolyn wants to go to Alcatraz. We also want to visit some of the national parks like Yosemite. And for myself to visit the Monterey / Salinas area (I’m a Steinbeck fan)

As for the cost of flying it will be via staff travel. The benefit of working for an airline

We are thinking of hiring a campervan / motor home rather than hiring a car and getting a motel room every day. So any tips on that to would be gratefully accepted.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-26-2004, 06:18 AM   #28
Donut
Jack Burton

I especially love the "England" section of EPCOT! They've got it absolutely spot on, I almost thought I was back home. All those wenches serving beer in the Rose & Crown, pearly Kings and Queens on every corner. Cor blimey 'azel! You're pulling my plonker!

Loved EPCOT but agree it's not for the kids. Disneyland is nowhere near as impressive as Disneyword.

BTW - tip for Disneyworld. Go at the weekend if you can because those are the days that those pesky foreign tourists are catching their flights.

[ 02-26-2004, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show