Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-03-2003, 09:01 AM   #1
Starfire
The Magister

For those of you who are much more experienced than I and have run heavy melee oriented parties I have a question.

Where do you find enough good weapons to outfit your parties? I know of ivory blade, mauler, diamond eyes, fang, staff of doom and blood lust of course, but where do you find other really good weapons where you do not have to spend loads and loads of time reloading to get them? I really dislike having to reload a whole map several hundred times just to get really good equipment or having to refight set monster accounters hundreds of time. It makes the whole game tedious having to do that and surely there has to be good weapons available that are not really rare and do not require an inordinate amount of time reloading to get them.
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

Starfire:
If you want to find out what weapons are AVAILABLE and their STATS check out;

http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8...trykes_w8.html (also gives location)
and
http://www.mindflay.com (not as much text/more pictures)

SPOILER(S) ALERT
In the early portion of the game I use these:
1.Bloodlust and Poison Dagger (deadly CURSED combo)
2.Hand Axe and Bearded War Axe (DUAL axes/BEARDED is the only secondary axe)
3.Morning Star and Hammer (excellent DUAL mace/flails)
4.Diamond Epee and Baselard (deadly UNCURSED combo/use instead of #1)
5.Bipennis and/or Woodsman's Axe(good early axes)

The Poison Dagger, Hand Axe, Bearded War Axe, Morning Star (sometimes), Hammer, Baselard, and the Bipennis can all be purchased by ATONE RAPAX in ARNIKA. Of course you know about Bloodlust, Diamond Epee, and the Woodsman's Axe. The Morning Star sometimes pops up in Atone's shop but if it doesn't I have found it in chests (U and L Monestary). I have personally have found the Morning Star in every game.

These are some of the best combos in the early parts of the game.

Later on...

1.Cat'O Nine Tails (good WHIP)
2.Fang (good SWORD)
3.Sword of Fire (has FIREBALL attachment)
4.Zweihander (good 2-HANDED sword)
5.Bushido Blade and Enchanted Wakizashi (great SAMURAI weapons)

Everyone one of these weapons are SET in a certain location or can be BOUGHT from certain merchants.

My personal FAVORITES are:
1.Bloodlust and Poison Dagger
2.Hand Axe and Bearded War Axe
3.Fang

Good luck searching... (but remember, the AWESOME weapons are always TOUGH to find; no matter what game you play)!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
Starfire
The Magister

Thank you allstar.

I usually have at least one person in my parties wielding bloodlust when feasible. Usually a bard, Lord or Samurai. Since it's cursed I like giving bloodlust to character who can do magic so they have a ranged attack. I prefer all members in my parties to contribute in some way in combat rather than just stand around until the enemey is within melee range lol

I've never seen or heard of zweihander thanks for the tip. I will check those sites out as well [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #4
sultan

unfortunately, starfire, the vast majority of top weapons are random loads. you've basically listed the best ones for general use that are always available.

my preferences are also to stay away from cursed weapons, except for hybrids/casters who get magic for ranged attacking.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
rbeane1
The Magister

Bloodlust and Poison Dagger

Is a good combo But I switch it to a thiefs dagger as soon as
I can (I give them to my rogue)

I just got The Mauler Flamestryke says you can only get it
from Ferro but I got mine in a drop fighting the high priestest
in rapax rift. Love it gave it to RFS-81.
rbeane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #6
Starfire
The Magister

I really wish the creators had not made it so hard and rare to get the really good weapons lol I mean I don't mind the challenge of having to defeat really powerful foes to acquire all the best equipment, but having to reload hundreds of times to get them to drop them or reload a map hundreds of times until they show up in a chest just doesn't appeal to me lol I guess I'll stick to my regular style of play and play balanced parties so finding good equipment won't be so difficult lol

Rbean I also had one of the rapax priestess' drop the mauler once, it's a great weapon when paired with diamond eyes [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 06:32 AM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

IMO its a good thing that the most powerrful items are rare. If you play without item list and info from the forum, you don't know what you are missing. But when i found the stave of 12 stars for the first time in my 20th game, and i didn't know before that it existed, i was very pleased.

I too think you shouldn't get the best stuff after 100 reloads. I think it should be fixed at game start, not when you enter an area.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #8
DraconFighter
Dungeon Master

One of the things I like about Wizardry is that it gives you so many options. If you want to go through a game with no reloading for items or no training, you can do it. But if you've built a character around obtaining a certain weapon, then the game will not be so much fun if you don't obtain the weapon. Or if you want to see what 115 Powercast can do, you might want to train for it. I have very different goals in different games.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:28 PM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

For Starfire: Most times reloaded successfully trying for: Muramasa--11 (over 30 games); Light (in the chest; around 20 games)--6; Bushido (over 50 games)--22; Phaser (from Jan-Ette; over 30 games)--5. Light Shield (Jan-Ette; over 30 games)--11. Light Shield, in the chest, incidental to trying for the Sword, has only appeared twice before i stopped because i got the Sword.
I did a test, it's in a thread called "Buccy Bag Results" in here somewhere, marking down the results of 100 Buccaneer Ghost fights--i've now killed them more than 150 times and have gotten ONE light sword from them. (i never tried before i made the test, and one game i was trying for any of the nicer drops and got one on the 4th reload--very nice, because it was a duo who had already got one from the chest!!!)
I've never liked Ex-Cal, so i have no data collected about it.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:47 AM   #10
Starfire
The Magister

Scatter if I am reading that right, it sounds as though you did not actually have to reload that many times to get those weapons and that's totally cool! If I am misunderstanding it's because my glasses are broke and I can not see the small typing in posts very well without them lol

One of the parties I created I had planned on doing a lot of reloading so I could get excalibur, I got extremely lucky with that party because after killing nessie, I opened davy jones and lo and behold there sat excalibur and I never had to reload at all for it lol I wasn't going to do any reloading to try and get the light sword, but after killing the buc ghosts the last one dropped it! I was so excited because I had never seen either weapon before and I never had to do any reloading to get them [img]smile.gif[/img]