Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-20-2001, 05:09 AM   #31
Savage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i had one for some time but it wasnt mine and i never played W&W with it...
i still cant imagine that there is something like a Geforce MX only problem
but maybe ur right... sorry cant help u with this then
hey at least u can still play in software mode!

very strange thing it works partially in win2k ?! but without being able to leave the town thru both of the gates the playability is shortened too bad as it could be a real solution huh?
did u already tried another video card?
or as a friend of mine tend to say: if everything fails... do the BIOS update! (hes a natural born patch-er)

Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 05:13 AM   #32
Savage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmmm... if it is a MX only problem
why has Snoekie solved his problem then?
he has MX doesnt he?
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 05:41 AM   #33
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

On the Windows 2000 problem about not being able to leave the towns: here is the one known solution on how to do it.

In Windows 2000, the town .avi files are compressed and won't work properly. To uncompress them, you need to go to the following site:

http://www.geocities.com/virtualdub/index.html

Once you get there, load the file townmsk1.avi from the Townavi directory in your Wizards & Warriors folder into Virtualdub. Save it with the "Save as old-format AVI". You will get back a 32MB file. Rename this file townmsk1.avi (over the old file).

Now restart Wizards & Warriors. You should be able to get inside all the buildings. This also prevents crashing from inside towns.

ALSO: You must have the "Read & Execute" and "Read" permissions on the Activision directory before you are able to play Win2K. Some players have claimed that they needed to be logged in as an Administrator to be able to play the game.

-Sazerac (and if anyone asks me what I'm doing up at this hour of the morning, they're getting socked virtually! )
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 05:49 AM   #34
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

For those players who have problems getting the program to run in Windows 98 and Windows Me, here is another possible solution:

A lot of times, the Video Compression Codecs are not set correctly.

The solution is to reset your Compression codecs in the Windows Setup. Open up Control Panel (Start ->Settings ->Control Panel), click on the "Add or Remove Programs" icon, and then click on the Windows Setup tab. Scroll down the list until you find "Multimedia", then click on it and then click the "Details" button. Make sure "Video Compression" is checked. Then click the OK button. You will need to restart your computer to have your settings updated.

Another workaround: if your swap file is too small, setting it to a larger size will help. Heuristic Park Inc. recommends a minimum swap files size of 300 MB.

To set this, right-click on "My Computer" and choose Properties from the shortcut menu. When the dialog box appears, click on the Properties Tab. Now click the "Virtual Memory" button. Click the radio button next to "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings." In the minimum box, type 300 (or a higher number, depending on your system). Click OK, then OK again. Let Windows restart your computer.

Hopefully this may work around some of the "stalling" and lockup problems occurring during the game.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 09:07 AM   #35
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

To Snoekie... I'm glad that you finally got your machine to work. . One last thing... since Snoekie is a man and Ryanamur is a man and Snoekie will love Ryanamur forever, Ryanamur will go back to see the shrink at this time.

To Saz: you're welcome. But the big Kudos goes to you for starting this thread and to anybody out there who's got good technical knowledge. I just copied the appropriate sections of a file that I thought could help

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 05-20-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 05:36 PM   #36
coachschwartz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK here is my last chance for survival... hanging on with fingertips.
The problem: PLayed fine for 2 months, wrecked havoc on skeletons, wogurs etc. Got the signet ring, saved the toads, cleaned out the serpent temple, found samurai baton, and was just about to start on shurgeon ruins when I started getting various, miscellaneous errors. These errors pop up pink on bottom of screen at different times. May pop up in town, in shops, out in the woods, clicking on map, etc. Below are the list of the errors:

Bmp16__Load Error On savegfx/s_screen.bmp
Bmp16__Maskload Error on ICLBUYU.bmp
Bmp16__Load Error On portrait/Pchead18.bmp
Open error on D6MON8.DAT ( occurred often )
Unable to open journal file: journal.003
Unable to load animated texture efxgfx/particle/astor.ant
Unable to load Model models/item/bow-short.MDL

Upon receiving the errors, I thought the game was froze and unplugged the power. When I would reboot, after scandisc did its dance, the screen would come back mega huge and I would have to resize. I finally realized that hitting enter would take me back to desktop when the errors came.

Solutions tried:
adjusted settings to 640 etc.
turned hardware acceleration off
played with no other programs running
always played in options with software driver
uninstalled/reinstalled
emailed save game to rick and he played it fine for 20 minutes(even complimented my party)
uninstalled/ cleaned out registry totally wiped WW off computer.
reinstalled full and part.
started brand new game and yes got error right out of fence with the lone warrior.
And yes, installed the patch.
So here I am at last with options running out and a party just dying to get into Shurgeon ruins.
The thought of playing and saving every three steps has crossed my mind (too bad no quick save option)
If I do that I may be done before 2050.

Thanks for everyones help and CONDOLENCES!!!
Coach

[This message has been edited by coachschwartz (edited 05-20-2001).]
coachschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 08:52 PM   #37
Dragonrider
Dungeon Master

Hi! Dragonrider here. Did you try upgrading your video card software?
Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 09:15 PM   #38
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Aye, I have a Geforce 2 MX and got the game running FINNALY.
My problem wasnīt related to my Geforce after all...I was missing some .dll files and an .exe file (that I could simply dl from Microsoft)
Those files I apperantly needed to properly play the avi files (like the townscreens) so I could actually SEE and USE the buildings in there.

I havenīt had any error messages at all. Just the black screen. Which was bad enough in itīs own right
What could be a good idea is to run System File Checker. Itīs a util that comes with windows.
Open up System Information (find at here: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE" ) and under the pull-down menu "Tools" choose System File Checker.
Let it scan for altered files and keep you Windows CD-Rom handy for any files it might need to restore from that.

Thatīs how I got my game working. Check Ryanamurs post in this thread, itīs the lengthy one, and get even more information

Thatīs about all I can offer you for tech advice. Eventhough your problems are not like mine where, you might get result running System file checker. No harm in trying.
And another thing: I feel your pain, I was ready to quit too because I couldnt get the game running on my pc. Good luck with it, I hope you succeed!

Snoekie. (who need to go to sleep fast! Itīs 3.15 AM over here...neeeeed sleeeeep, yes yes yes, finished the crypt, yes yes yes, I messed up Scabban, yes yes yes....heheh)
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 05:23 PM   #39
coachschwartz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK here is advice I got from customer service at activision, but they didnt help me with the how to do.... so how do I do these things lol

If possible try installing from a different CD-ROM drive. If this is not an option try the following:

Make sure you have 32 bit drivers for your CD-ROM drive.
Set the CD-ROM cache size to zero.
Change the DMA setting on the CD-ROM drive.

coachschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 06:26 PM   #40
Dragonrider
Dungeon Master

To coachschwartz:

1. In order to update your files to 32 bit you have to go to your cdrom manufacturers web site and download the updated files.

2. For the cache files go to control panel
Then to system
Look at the top of the screen that comes up
Choose performance
Choose file system
Choose cdrom move slider all the way to small
Click ok
Once you have done that look at the top of the screen again
Choose device manager
You should see cdrom in the first box
Click on the plus sign it should open up
Click on your cdrom it should turn color and look down to the bottom of the
screen.
Choose properties. Select Dma if it is not checked
Click ok until you are out of the system.
It should ask to restart the computer. Restart the computer for the changes
to take effect.

Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote