Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have You Decided Yet?
Yes I have decided who I am going to vote for 14 66.67%
No I have no idea still who to vote for 2 9.52%
I will finally decide at the very last minute literally 1 4.76%
I hate them both, I'll flip a coin to decide, or ask a bum 1 4.76%
I hate them both, so won't vote at all 0 0%
What the Hell happened to Ross Perot dammit! 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #21
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Presidential Elections - Have You Decided Yet?

Given that 86% of Americans say they're Christian, or even if they're some other religion, I encourage all of you to "have faith". If you are one to pray, then pray!

Have faith in your Father that he is in control: because He is. Do what it says on your money: "In God we Trust".

I really don't mean to sidetrack things, but it is how I feel.

PS,
Larry, it's great to see you posting more! I hope some of the other mods follow suit.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
What the Hell happened to Ross Perot dammit!
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #23
SecretMaster
Apophis

I hate both candidates. I place my vote under flipping a coin/asking a bum, but I'm really not going to do that. It is just the category closest to "I hate them both but I'll vote for one of them". Or I may go third party.

Originally I was going to vote McCain, until he chose Palin as his running mate. But neither of them at this point are up to snuff for the presidency I feel. I'm still mulling over it. I might vote for a 3rd party candidate, even though they will never ever get elected.

But regardless of who I vote for, it really doesn't matter as NY will swing to Obama during the election. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Quote:
Have faith in your Father that he is in control: because He is. Do what it says on your money: "In God we Trust".
You do realize that in the U.S. there is a clear passage in the Constitution separating Church and State right? While it has never, and probably will be a long time, before it actually happens in this country, you still shouln't say "do what your money says". I know a lot of individuals that take issue with that little line, both religious and atheist.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #24
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Well, actually, the seperation of church and state prohibits the gov't from interfering with religious matters, and prevents the state from declaring a national religion, so you have the right to choose what you believe, or not believe. That doesn't mean you can't follow your religious values when voting.

That being said, we are kind of starting to side track this thread, perhaps further discussion should occur in a seperate thread while this one continues on it's intended path?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #25
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Well, actually, the seperation of church and state prohibits the gov't from interfering with religious matters, and prevents the state from declaring a national religion, so you have the right to choose what you believe, or not believe. That doesn't mean you can't follow your religious values when voting.

That being said, we are kind of starting to side track this thread, perhaps further discussion should occur in a seperate thread while this one continues on it's intended path?
I'm talking more on the lines of our currency. Our national currency has "in god we trust", which is very much so against our supposed doctrine. I'm not surprised about it really, the two are still quite hand in hand.

What I took issue with was not Variol saying "have faith" with whomever you vote for, but rather Variol illustrating that through using our currency as an example.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ah, ok. I think I understand what you meant now.

So you're saying that having "In God We Trust" on our currency is effectively declaring a state religion? (making sure I understand, like I think I do.)

Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #27
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Ah, ok. I think I understand what you meant now.

So you're saying that having "In God We Trust" on our currency is effectively declaring a state religion? (making sure I understand, like I think I do.)
I'm a little hesitant to say that having "In Go We Trust" declares a state religion. It relates government and religious association yes (which is supposed to be a big no-no), but I don't think it is saying "the religion of the U.S. is x,y,z". Of course, it is very obvious which "god" they are referencing with that phrase.

Just a little history as well.
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fac...we-trust.shtml
Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

I'm not sure where it's supposed to be a big "no-no". As I read it:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
no seperation of church and state reference made that I can discern, excepting that they can't make laws about it. If they want to put God or a god, on money that's their choice, and can be brought to vote to either have it or not have it.

I personally have no issue with "In God We Trust" on our currency. I know I'm not alone in this, but I'm also aware that there are many others who feel the exact opposite as I do. Bottom line (I'm starting to say that too much), I don't see where it violates anything in the constitution.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #29
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Id really appreciate it if you U.S. IWers would vote for McCain as I made a bet for the sum of £20 that he'd win

Although that was back when I thought he had a chance
Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #30
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Interesting. I find the flaw in that 1861 logic ("...to which no possible citizen could object") to be quite indicative of the times and perspective. I guess the atheists and agnostics weren't quite so well-organized 150 years ago...

'Course, today something like that would require more than a letter and a memo to a Mint director. It would take 14 bills in Congress, $14 billion in additional pork, three months in committee and debate, 11 years in the courts deciding whether or not it broke the boundaries of church and state, and no less than three venerable grandmothers threatening to take the legislature out behind the woodshed to beat some sensibility into them.

Ah, well... we can always hope for that last part...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote