Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Other than Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms can any of you out there recommend a good D20 game setting for Dungeons and Dragons P&P play? There are a lot of new products hitting the shelves daily ever since Wizards of the Coast did the smart thing and opened their D&D license to second parties (unlike TSR), but I have been so long out of the loop I couldn't tell you what is good and not so good. So, if you can, what is out there that has decent maps, background material, etc., that is detailed enough to lend a good feel to the world without weighing a DM down with tons of details? The beauty of Greyhawk was that it had a nice map of Oerth along with two book supplements with enough detail to intrigue but not dictate. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Ravenloft's a goody - though it is quite alot different than any other type of AD&D. Planescape's pretty weird too - though if you played PS:T, you know how sweet it is.

My advice, though, would be to do a little creative work and try blending ancient cultures and create your own - remember, improv works really well, so you don't have to chart out every inch and second of your civilization. Try blending, say the Norse and Egyptians - half-dog warriors wielding the spiritual hammers of their mighty god Thor.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I never played it but there's Star Wars on the D20 system, there's another one, but I forget the name of it, it has a lot to do with samuri classes and such.

Yea, they did a great job creating the Oerth setting, but don't forget, if you look at the map, the current ones they use is only a small fraction of Oerth, they still left the rest unexplored.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
spydar

the star wars one is pretty fun, my brothers and I have started many a cantina fight to distract people while we loot contraband items. lotsa fun. but it's there a dragonlance one too? or is that really old? I dunno, since my brothers moved away a couple years ago I too haven't had the chance to really roleplay the good -ol fashioned way.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 AM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You could also try the world of Krynn form the Dragonlance books. In addition to the many novels, there was also a hardback sourcebook produced by TSR.

Or.....you could do what my college roommate and I did - create your own world with your characters as the resident heroes.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

There is a new Dragonlance book coming out this fall I think, for the d20 system... If you want to try some cool setting try the Scarred Lands from Swords and Sorcery, very diffrent and you might even hate it at first... like I did [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also Monte Cook has made a "new" Players handbook with all sorts of cool stuff... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2003, 09:34 AM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ravenloft. Old (2d Ed) Ravenloft. Accept no substitutes.

Unless you want to make your own realm (like I do). Then, you can still use Ravenloft.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

You should try out the Dragonlance setting when it comes out this August.

Kyrnn is an awsome place...Well, I personally have never played in the world, but the books were great. I cant wait to get the setting.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 07-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #9
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Greyhawk?? a good setting???

I dunno. I would say Planescape, but what we have now (3rd ed Manual of the Planes) is very lacking.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Ravenloft. Old (2d Ed) Ravenloft. Accept no substitutes.

Unless you want to make your own realm (like I do). Then, you can still use Ravenloft.

That wouldn't be the Bi-Temptation realm would it?