Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-14-2002, 03:15 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

damnit! i really like RPGs, no i loove RPGs, but i don`t have anything i want to play! i have BG2,ToB and Ps:T but i`ve played them both enougth and i don`t want to play them anymore(though probalbly in the future )! i think i want Diablo or Diablo 2 LoD back! and what is the diffirence of D&D and AD&D? is it fun and how much does it cost?
Old 04-14-2002, 03:24 AM   #2
Krishach
Drow Warrior

Don't get Diablo 2 unless you're into hack n'slash, that's mainly what D2 is. Not that that concept is bad, but the balance of the actual game and the cheating that's going on online with Battle.net... *sigh* Personally, I like Diablo more than D2, especially with some of the mods for it, but that's me, and I'm an oldschool D gamer.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:32 AM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Krishach:
Don't get Diablo 2 unless you're into hack n'slash, that's mainly what D2 is. Not that that concept is bad, but the balance of the actual game and the cheating that's going on online with Battle.net... *sigh* Personally, I like Diablo more than D2, especially with some of the mods for it, but that's me, and I'm an oldschool D gamer.
yes, i know what Diablo 2 is. i`ve played it even more than BG2 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2002, 04:07 AM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well at the moment the newest "version" of the PnP rules, 3rd edition, are D&D, while the old "version" of the rules, 2nd edition were AD&D, personally I still prefer 2nd edition rules even though I will admit that 3rd ed has a few nice ideas.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:15 AM   #5
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

D&D is a fairly complex gaming system no matter what version you play. For beginners 3ed. is probably the easiest to grasp as the di rolling is simplified. Yes, it can be fairly expensive. There is a virtual library of books that you can get to intensify the game. All that is really needed however is the PHB (Players Hand Book). I have played all 3 versions and prefer 2ed. to the others, but that is just my opinion.

Is it fun? That really depends on the group that you game with and the DM. If you get in with a good group, and an imaginative DM it is the best game in the world, hence its loyal following and longevity. If you get in with a poor DM, and a group that can't get along simply leave the game and find another one.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:21 AM   #6
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dresdan:
D&D is a fairly complex gaming system no matter what version you play. For beginners 3ed. is probably the easiest to grasp as the di rolling is simplified. Yes, it can be fairly expensive. There is a virtual library of books that you can get to intensify the game. All that is really needed however is the PHB (Players Hand Book). I have played all 3 versions and prefer 2ed. to the others, but that is just my opinion.

Is it fun? That really depends on the group that you game with and the DM. If you get in with a good group, and an imaginative DM it is the best game in the world, hence its loyal following and longevity. If you get in with a poor DM, and a group that can't get along simply leave the game and find another one.

Hope this helps you out.
thanks! i know that D&D is really complex. will it be difficult for me to learn to play D&D if i have played BGs, Ps:T and ADOM(Ancient Domains Of Mystery)?
Old 04-14-2002, 07:40 AM   #7
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Having played the BG's gives you a good overall understanding of some of the concepts of D&D. You shouldn't have any problems grasping the finer points of PnP. The key is to get into a game with a good DM, and a patient group. This is invaluable as they will help you understand what is going on and what to do. This is truly the best way to learn to play D&D. The first thing I would do is go to a book store and purchase the PHB for the version that you want to play and read it. Then look for a game in your area that you can join.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:14 PM   #8
fable
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
damnit! i really like RPGs, no i loove RPGs, but i don`t have anything i want to play! i have BG2,ToB and Ps:T but i`ve played them both enougth and i don`t want to play them anymore(though probalbly in the future )! i think i want Diablo or Diablo 2 LoD back! and what is the diffirence of D&D and AD&D? is it fun and how much does it cost?
Morrowind should be out in a few weeks. Based on what I've read up on IGN, I'm *really* looking forward to that CRPG.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:43 PM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

i dont normaly run by eddition rules, and if i could i'd find me the myth handbook of monsters and use strategy game mon..sters OH MY GOD I FOUND IT *hugs* ill bring this to the next meeting with have, my freinds and I [img]smile.gif[/img]