Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2004, 05:33 AM   #1
Nickzilla
Dungeon Master

Does your level go up faster? Also how frustrating is it? I cant imagine having to load one battle over and over just because I keep getting held and dying. Well, I cant imagine it being fun at least...
Nickzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

yep - you level up much faster - in fact if you pick a good solo class you become overpowered if anything

you need to work out your tactics for all the problems you'll face but to take being held as in your question you can:

- use items that grant free action
- get good saving throws
- kill priests and mages before they cast
- etc

thinking about it a dwarf or halfling fighter/thief would be a good bet for all of these

people (not me) have finished solo games without reloads!

have fun
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
Nickzilla
Dungeon Master

Im gonna try it in about 2 more games. I was going to solo as an assasin but they're a bit weak. *EDIT* do you level up faster when unmodded?

[ 04-01-2004, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Nickzilla ]
Nickzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickzilla:
Im gonna try it in about 2 more games. I was going to solo as an assasin but they're a bit weak. *EDIT* do you level up faster when unmodded?
Solo Assassins are NOT weak. Their ability to poison weapons makes the early fights in the game easier (toying with one right now, and it is downright nasty to your opponents). And later, they get the large backstab multiplier. Imagine backstabbing an opponent to badly injured with a poisoned weapon, then running off to let the poison finish them off. You can also poison missiles. Think darts (3/round) or a certain short bow available early in the game. Hit each opponent 1-2 times and just run off and come back later to loot. Also, the only restriction (less points to spend each level on thieving skills) is offset somewhat by the fact that you are soloing; you'll fly up in levels very quickly, so your thieving skills will be quite good within a short time.

The only mods that will make you level up faster are those that add quests to the game (mostly those are side quests from NPCs, though, so you would not be able to take advantage of them). There is the Unfinished Business mod, which adds in quests that were originally part of the game but cut due to time. However, leveling to maximum level will NOT be a problem for someone soloing. In fact, there are people who add the xp cap removing mod just because they level so quickly that they max out well before the end of the game.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Poison isn't that good, Nerull... You have to hit the guy at least 3 times if they don't make their saves in order to bring them down, and the number goes up if they make their saves. Oh, and the other problem is that you have to hit the bastards. After your backstab, you can't backstab anymore unless you want to use precious Invisibility Potions/Oil of Speeds, or if you have the Boots of Speed. Rings of Invisibility work, yes, but against the harder fights, 2 extra backstabs isn't going to do much, not to mention that in Tactics, the Mages cast True Sight.

You have to be damn patient, which is why I'm no good with them.

Oh, and Smarter Mages are a pain in the butt to kill. They have Stoneskin and Mirror Image(no Poison), and it takes a while to take them all off, even assuming taht I hit all of the time. Backstabs are worthless, and you take a beating from them while you're trying to strip them of their protections.

/edit: As to mods, the only reason why you would level up using Tactics quicker than if you didn't use Tactics is because Tactics has a little component called 'Tougher Dungeon Spawns always'. Tougher = more experience = level up quicker.

[ 04-01-2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
Poison isn't that good, Nerull... You have to hit the guy at least 3 times if they don't make their saves in order to bring them down, and the number goes up if they make their saves. Oh, and the other problem is that you have to hit the bastards. After your backstab, you can't backstab anymore unless you want to use precious Invisibility Potions/Oil of Speeds, or if you have the Boots of Speed. Rings of Invisibility work, yes, but against the harder fights, 2 extra backstabs isn't going to do much, not to mention that in Tactics, the Mages cast True Sight.

You have to be damn patient, which is why I'm no good with them.

Oh, and Smarter Mages are a pain in the butt to kill. They have Stoneskin and Mirror Image(no Poison), and it takes a while to take them all off, even assuming taht I hit all of the time. Backstabs are worthless, and you take a beating from them while you're trying to strip them of their protections.

/edit: As to mods, the only reason why you would level up using Tactics quicker than if you didn't use Tactics is because Tactics has a little component called 'Tougher Dungeon Spawns always'. Tougher = more experience = level up quicker.
Actually, you have to be patient with any solo thief. You do not have the mage spell breakers, you don't have the cleric/druid's dispel magic, you pretty much have no real way to take down enemy defenses (unless you get a certain ToB HLA that will allow you to use a certain paladin-only two handed sword). You pretty much have to catch them before the defenses go up, or run away and wait for the protections to wear off. I don't play with Tactics, so I am having an easier time with the solo Assassin (I usually have little problem hitting the earlier opponents; I imagine it will be worse later).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 04-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I think the best thing to solo would be a sorc, maybe a lil help early on to gain som levels then dual to a fighter. Though ive never tried this myself.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 AM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
You can't dual a sorc to fighter or anything else, sadly.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:28 AM   #9
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Well like i said, im an idiot.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

A solo sorcerer doesn't need to dual to anything else. They are gods in and of their own right. See this to see just how abusive they can be.