Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #21
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, Bungleau. We're checking out their site and Bioware and any other that looks like it might help!

If all else fails, until my longstanding BG2 game is done, I may have to resort to the incredibly low-tech method of disconnecting my router and connecting straight to my cable modem for the game, then reconnecting it all. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

One of the things you can do on a Linksys is to expose one IP address to the internet -- the DMZ. You might try configuring that to allow your game host to be viewed from the outside.

Otherwise, good luck. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #23
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
One of the things you can do on a Linksys is to expose one IP address to the internet -- the DMZ. You might try configuring that to allow your game host to be viewed from the outside.

Otherwise, good luck. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hmmmm...interesting idea Bungleau. I'll have to give it a try. [img]smile.gif[/img] (for those that dont know, I'm the one working on getting the &*(#%^@^$*& router to let Cloudy play her games.

One other thing that I'm wondering might work is creating a static IP sort of 'outside' the router, that people could log on to...dont know if it will work though.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 08-12-2003, 12:19 PM   #24
realbinky
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Ziroc, can you explain to me why you have UDP enabled and not the TCP on your example? Why are the other ons both chosen? On my router utility, I can only enable one or the other. I have the spot to place the outgoing, and if it is TCP or UDP...then I have another spot to place the incoming, with the choice of TCP or UDP. Then I can choose to enable it. ALso, the title of the thing, like your's. My understanding is that TCP is a message that gets broken down into fragments and reassembled,,,but the UDP does not break down in transit. I have chosen UDP, as you did in your example, but I want to know if that was the right thing to do.

By the way...I do not have the option to put in an IP address.
Not quite right. TCP gurantees transit. It sends out data in small pieces, called packets, which are numbered and checksummed. The receiver reports back that it got each piece. If it doesn't get an ACK after a short time, the sender will send again. UDP sends out packets, but there is no ACK process. It sends out it's packets blindly, assuming/hoping they will all get there. It's like, I sent you 30 packets, I hope you got them all. There is no mechanism for resending lost packets. However, some things, like NNTP (network time updates) don't have to get there every time, as long as you get most updates, your time will stay current. UDP has smaller overhead (no ACK, checksum, sender info, etc) so it can be faster. It is also good for multicasting. It sends out packets to a wide range of receivers, with no need to keep track of who got what. TCP is one-to-one, though you can have many TCPs going at the same time.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:21 PM   #25
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Ok as of now I have found out two things that might help. Do not eat the small green fish. Thjey are not ripe yet and that the ports for BG2 should be ports 2300-2400 and the port 47624.

Also found this "There is a section of the readme.txt file (found in your BG2 directory) that tells you exactly which ports are required. Do a quick "Find" in the document for "ports" and you should come up with it fairly quick. I've also recently posted the info in a previous thread, so you could do a search for "ports" and "Kevin Lynch" as author here and should be able to find the info quickly."

Sorry I do not have BG2 here at my work for me to check that last part. I will post more on IWD when I know something.

Granamere
Old 08-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
Ok as of now I have found out two things that might help. Do not eat the small green fish. Thjey are not ripe yet and that the ports for BG2 should be ports 2300-2400 and the port 47624.

Also found this "There is a section of the readme.txt file (found in your BG2 directory) that tells you exactly which ports are required. Do a quick "Find" in the document for "ports" and you should come up with it fairly quick. I've also recently posted the info in a previous thread, so you could do a search for "ports" and "Kevin Lynch" as author here and should be able to find the info quickly."

Sorry I do not have BG2 here at my work for me to check that last part. I will post more on IWD when I know something.

Granamere
[img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img] Thanks! I don't know if it will work, but hey...it's worth a shot! I really felt so bad when I realized it wasn't going to be easy to connect and continue my long running games! We're making PROGRESS...LOL and I was so hoping to someday FINISH BG2! I