Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Hi all, I have always read with amazement the stories of people soloing and while I always wanted to try it, I never did. Until now. I decided to go with an Elven Figher / Assasin (SK'd). He is currently level 9 / 11 and doing well. I have not tried any of the bigger quests as I want to gain another "poison weapon" ability first. I have done the circus, Copper Coronet, the Slaver's in the Slums, got the Tanner quest and part of Prebek portion of Xzar's quest.

Initially I put 3 stars in both long sword and short bow and put another in short when I got another. He is amazing with Tugian and I am torn as two putting a 5th star in short bow or one in dual weilding at my next opportunity. He is also now using Namarra which I hope will aid in fighting mages. Arrows of dispelling and biting have come in quite handy against them so far. I need the boots of speed as I do a lot of running and shooting. LOL My PC is Chaotic Neutral so I am having no real issues roleplaying wise stealing everyone I can. I also still have not decided how I will get to Spellhold. I had thought of going with Bodhi as I never have, but I would be leary of taking on Aran Linvall and all of his minions by myself. LOL I usually go back and help out Inspector Brega (?) after I return from the Underdark and it is usually a chore even with a party.

I am considering b/t Nalie'a keep, Trademeet or the Haredelis quests next (freeing him and the planar prison).

If anyone out there who has soloed a fighter / theif (I am sure there loads) any suggestions would be welcome.

One last thing, when soloing do many of you use the "rest until healed" option? I found it was almost necessary. LOL

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

to answer your question about rest until healed my answer is 'no'

with no healing spells or (probably) special abilities your rest until healed times will look ridiculous (although that's not a problem if you can ignore it)

more importantly you should have stolen yourself a ring of regeneration within a few minutes of leaving the first dungeon

you seem to be going along the right lines - don't forget your backstab though - with boots of speed you can stab run and hide round the corner
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Armen, I am drawing a complete blank on the ring of regeneration. LOL Can you give me a clue as to who has it? I have tried pickpocketing a few folks, but mainly have just stolen arrows from the guy with the dispelling arrows.

I have also used backstabbing quite a bit. Out of habit I put most of my points in find traps / open locks and then put them in pickpocketing. Didn't even think about hide in shadows until the last level up. I think it is around 45 or 50 now.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I soloed a Fighter/Thief through BG1, and any items that can give you invisibility are the best. The ring of regeneration is in a place that you've definitely already been. It's the only thing you can steal from that particular shopkeep.

Celestial Fury, when you can get it, is unstoppable because of the ridiculous stun on it. Not only does it have a nice high damage rate (d10 for katana), but the stun can really help immobilize enemies. I would also hold onto some sort of ranged weapon (I like throwing axes, but your milage may vary,) for those situations where you can't use backstab. The Cloak of Non-Detection is also handy, especially against higher level foes who have True Sight.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

I will eventually venture after Celestial Fury. In retrospect I am thinking I should have chosed katana's over long swords (but wanted the bonus elves get with them). Dualing CF and Belm could have been a nice combo. Definitely something to consider as I get more profeciency points. For ranged weapons I am totally loving the Tugian short bow. When I poison my weapons I can quickly poison big groups. I was waylaid in the city by 6 or 7 Orogs and 2 slavers. I first used my "horror" special ability so half of them ran around scared for a bit and then peppered everyone with poisoned normal arrows. Went pretty quick. Big groups are my only real concern for the areas I am currently frequenting.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Have your "Auto-pause" set to go off on the death of your opponent. Then, if you're backstabbing in a group of (initially) neutral people, you have a chance to hide in shadows again if you kill your first victim with one blow. This is very nice in the room above the Seven Vales in Waukeen's Promenade.

BTW, even if you don't have the Ring of Regeneration, a DUHM that gets your CON to 20+ will let you regenerate while you sleep.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Usually when I solo, I have tons more auto-pauses on than normally. At low hit points, on death of opponent, upon sight of opponent, etc. It really is one of those little things that will help the solo experience.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

SPOILERS BELOW (dealing with how to get to spellhold)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
if you are worried about how difficult Aran linvail is compared to Bhodi id have to say that he is easier by far.Even though you can get the amulet of power that stops the vampires level drain ability they are still far more formidable than shadow thieves due to their speed and extra powers.
Just by killing the random encounters and thugs that walk around Athkatla you can get about 35-40 potions of inivsibilty which greatly help solo thieves. With this you can sneak past all of Arans mediocore minions and get right up to him and even get a backstab on him if your lucky. IMO the fact hat he is a spellcaster is not really that much of a detterent since potions of invisiblity can just cancel any of his offencive casting without a hitch.

Just another note, i recently went with Bodhi for the first time and i found the storyline very lacking around then. but i wont spoil you, you'll know what i mean if you do decide to go with her.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I agree with lost prophet, siding with Bodhi will be much easier than siding with the shadow thieves. Remember the amulet of power won't work with your fighter/assassin as it only works with characters that can cast spells.Therefore if you get badly level drained you would have to go all the way to a temple for restoration. Very annoying.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Zarr:
Therefore if you get badly level drained you would have to go all the way to a temple for restoration. Very annoying.
Two words - "Restoration scrolls". [img]smile.gif[/img]