Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2004, 04:17 AM   #1
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I wasnt going to bore you all with this agian, but you guys are great for support. I applied for disabilty today. On the 17th of this month, I developed some symptoms with my eyes while I was driving my taxi. Not good. Well that was the last night I worked. We will be ok finacialy, for now,
but Amber is going to have to go to work. Its a bummer, she really likes being a fulltime mommy to the gibbies.
Anyway, the problem with my eyes, is double vision starting about 10 feet and going out. Also this wierd shaking in my left periphial. Like when I try to watch a car going by its like a really bad shutter in my optic nerve, if that makes any sense. It will take 6 months or so to get the disabilty, if I am approved. Meanwhile, like I said, Amber will work, and I will get unemployment.
Well, thought I would share my plight with you guys.
Take care. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 04:41 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Sorry to hear that, hang in there and take care yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 05:13 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Aww LordK, that is bad news, I'm so sorry!!!
I hope things in your country are arranged better than in mine - the struggle I had to get them to acknowledge my illness was awful. But MS shouldn't give any problems in that department, right? I mean you can easily prove there's something wrong with you.
Is there any hope for your eyes getting better again? I don't know *that* much about MS.
Well anyway, I'm sending lots of good vibes your way, and your family's way. Take care of yourself mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sarah
Old 01-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
LordKathen

The only thing that can really be done about an episode (exacerbation) is an IV infusion of a steroid called methylprednisolone (solu medrol). 1 gram a day for usually 3 days. I went 5 days this time, becouse the exacerbation is not subsiding. That is why I went ahead and applied for disabilty. This could be a permanate symptom. I have a few others, but they dont affect me physically the way say vision does.
What happens is as my ammune system is eating away at my nerve, if it is not stoped in time with the steroid, it will couse a permenate scar (sclerosis) on the nerve, thus having that corrolating symptom. This time being my optic nerve. Things will be ok. I am not blind, and will enjoy the time with my gibbies.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Lord Kathen

You may remember last year I discussed with you that my brother in law has MS too. Now the first symptom he had several years (10+ ??) before other symptoms led to him being diagnosed with MS was the same blurry vision you mentioned. At the time he was prescribed glasses but IIRC after about 6 months his vision corrected itself. Now he is under advance symptoms of MS but his vision has never since deteriorated again and still has good vision today.

I will PM you with more details after i contact him. In the meantime hold on to good thoughts mate [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 01-28-2004, 07:22 AM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Kathen, man, I feel for you. This is a tough time for you, but you'll be able to get through. Take comfort with your family (as you no doubt will anyway), and enjoy the positive things that some time with your family away from work will bring you. When one door shuts another opens. Keep trying the medication. All my good-luck wishes for your recovery (and disability benefit ) are headed your way [img]smile.gif[/img] Hang in there buddy! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LK,

Sorry to hear about the developments. May things work out well, and may the bureaucrazies treat you with kindness, patience, and respect.

Enjoy the gibbies. They're part of what makes it all worth it.

Peace.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hey... bad things happen... all i can really say about it is... IT SUCKS.

Yep it does. But then I am hoping for the best... it's only a downer... and I think you will be out of it in no time... relaxed and better than ever!

You're in my thoughts
Old 01-28-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
LordKathen

Thanks guys, your great! I will keep you in touch with developments.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #10
LordKathen

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

Lord Kathen

You may remember last year I discussed with you that my brother in law has MS too. Now the first symptom he had several years (10+ ??) before other symptoms led to him being diagnosed with MS was the same blurry vision you mentioned. At the time he was prescribed glasses but IIRC after about 6 months his vision corrected itself. Now he is under advance symptoms of MS but his vision has never since deteriorated again and still has good vision today.

I will PM you with more details after i contact him. In the meantime hold on to good thoughts mate [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Yes, sometimes a lesion can take a while to subside and when it does not much scaring will be left. This is not as common, but some people get fortunate. My eyes have always been the most effected by MS, so who knows. Anyway, thanks for the words. And tell you bro hello for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-28-2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]