Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Casey Anthony Trial Verdict

This trial has been extremely popular in the news here in the U.S. Much like the OJ trial, they had tons of circumstantial evidence, but the jury found her not guilty and now she will walk in a week. The evidence in my own mind showed she killed her little 2 year old daughter, and I was shocked like many re the verdict. Now they say she may make millions on a book/movie deal. All I can say is if a book or movie is made, that very few will purchase because any money spent will partially go directly into the hands of a child killer. But I know some will be curious and buy anyway. Ugg.

Anyone else watch the trial? I know it is just a U.S. thing in the news, but the public outrage all over the country is pretty major right now. Heck, people even slept in tents outside of the courthouse to get seats to the trial every day! I am totally for U.S. laws and not convicting a person if there is reasonable doubt, but I do think in this particular case, with the evidence they had, a mistake might have been made here. Again, ugg.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Casey Anthony Trial Verdict

I tried *not* to watch it but it was impossible. Most of my tv stations are from Orlando. From the time they started jury selection I could turn on the 6:00 news and flip thru 5 different channels and see her face on every one of them. I agree that I think she's guilty, but some of the jurors have talked about their deliberations. They believed her guilty but they all agreed the prosecution hadn't proved it.

Which is worse -- letting a guilty person go free or convicting an innocent one? Better to err on the side of caution.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Ladyzekke

Yes same here, even though I don't live in Florida, almost every local channel and many cable ones here have been talking about the trial, so hard to ignore. I know the jury had a very large set of instructions they had to go by to decide guilty or innocent, and without concrete proof they probably felt they had no choice re their non-guilty verdict, even though they might have believed differently. No doubt it is definitely better to let the guilty go free than to put an innocent in jail, especially with the death penalty considered. There have been many people convicted who were innocent, especially 20 plus years ago when they didn't have forensic evidence back then. Casey Anthonly also isn't the first one to go free with tons of guilty circumstantial evidence (not just OJ, but I recall a horrid case a long time ago in Canada, Karla Himolka (spelling probably wrong) who actually was filmed helping to chloroform, rape and kill her sister via her boyfriend. She served a small amount of jail time but ultimately got out because the jury believed what she did was because she was scared and controlled by her boyfriend. So cases like this will always happen, but it is better than convicting people without total evidence like some history witch trials.

Not to say it isn't a bitter pill though knowing a very possible killer is not only free, but may benefit from their crime via book deals, etc. You can only figure Casey won't murder anyone again at least since she is in such a huge spotlight. Very soon I will probably just turn off the news feeds and channels that talk about this whole situation because it makes me ill thinking about at this point. What is done is done and decided, dwelling on it doesn't change anything.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Heya Lady Z

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Homolka is the Canadian maniac, she is free and supposedly down in the Antilles.

I havent followed the Anthony trial though heard of it quite a bit. Based on all I've heard yea I think her guilty, so did the jury. BUT prosecuters didnt have enough evidence, if I was on a jury I would want to be absolutely sure. They were not,and since the trial was not in Texas or Oklahoma the prosectuion failed to prove the case. I just wonder how long before she gets run down in the grocery store parking lot though.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, I think the jury did what they needed to do - proud of them doing it given all the external pressure. It's all well and good to pronounce her guilty as charged, but if a high-profile prosecution couldn't do it, chances are we can't either. Some lady said to me "Oh, she did it, because she wasn't even crying about her daughter", I asked her if she realized this happend like 3 years ago and she said she thought it was January of this year. I avoided it as much as I could on TV but the internet is also saturated with it, Facebook, Twitter etc. The media was in a frenzy about it. Why, I really don't know. There are many, far more gruesome and chilling cases involving children every day, but they seem to latch onto one every few years and decide the world should care about this one rather than the others.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Ladyzekke

Hey Pauly Yep that is the Canadian sicko alright. Been years ago but I always remembered her case. And yep again, things may have been a different story if the trial was in another state, like Texas. Florida does have the death penalty but I'm not sure how many cases actually make it there. Wasn't Robert Blake tried in Florida years ago? He also had quite a bit of evidence against him but in the end walked free. But from what I can tell, his life is pretty crappa now. His celebrity days seem to be over too.

I also wonder were Casey will go when she gets out. Her mom seems the most sympathetic, but I'm sure her dad isn't happy being called a mollester in his daughter's desparate lies to save herself. Not to mention the barrage of media and people who will hound them if they let Casey live with them. One of Casey's lawyers said today he'd be willig to take her into is home temporarily. Some say she will get plastic surgery to change her apperance so people won't easily recogniz her. Maybe she'll get some cheek implants and duck lips with blond hair, then she can mix in with the LA crowd.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Yeah, I think the jury did what they needed to do - proud of them doing it given all the external pressure. It's all well and good to pronounce her guilty as charged, but if a high-profile prosecution couldn't do it, chances are we can't either. Some lady said to me "Oh, she did it, because she wasn't even crying about her daughter", I asked her if she realized this happend like 3 years ago and she said she thought it was January of this year. I avoided it as much as I could on TV but the internet is also saturated with it, Facebook, Twitter etc. The media was in a frenzy about it. Why, I really don't know. There are many, far more gruesome and chilling cases involving children every day, but they seem to latch onto one every few years and decide the world should care about this one rather than the others.
She displayed a significant lack of remorse, grief and/or worry 3 years ago when this first happened as well. She didn't report her daughter missing for more than 30 days (IIRC). After reporting her missing, she toiled away the hours of uncertainty by going clubbing and competing in a "Hot Body" contest (at least once). That is NOT the actions of a normal parent whose toddler has gone missing.

If any thing happened to one of my boys, everything else would come to a halt and ALL of my efforts would be devoted to finding him or staying in touch with authorities to find out the latest news. If the disappearance dragged on, I suppose I would eventually have to go back to work, but it would be very hard to do.

Casey displayed no signs of grief or worry at all and, instead, acted more like she was glad she could suddenly go do whatever she wanted without having to worry about arrangements for someone to watch Caylee.

Her lies on the stand about her father showed she is interested only in herself and will do or say whatever is necessary to get her way or save her skin.

I followed the trial off and on over the last three years, but didn't watch it everyday. Like almost everyone else, I was stunned by the verdict, but the blame for that has to fall on the prosecution. It certainly seems like they had enough evidence for a guilty verdict. So either the defense had a better strategy, was smarter or the prosecutors got lazy thinking the media would help make this an open-and-shut case. Whatever the reason, they obviously didn't do what was needed to bring back the guilty verdict and I also have to give the jurors credit for basing their decision on the evidence presented rather than the emotions they may have felt.

It IS disgusting that she gets to walk free and will likely be offered book and movie deals. However, as Lady Z mentioned, at least she is unlikely to repeat her crime and as O.J. found out, book and movie deals don't necessarily guarantee millions of dollars in sales. I'm sure some folks will buy her book and/or be interested in any movie that might be made, but the general consensus seems to be the same as O.J. - she is guilty as sin, but got away with it. And just like O.J., I doubt the majority of Americans will be interested in any book or movie that might let Casey profit from escaping the justice they feel she deserved.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Hindsight
The Magister

Yes, as a Canadian, the names Christin French and Lesley Mahafi (spelling may be wrong) are forever etched upon my mind. I know the prison warden of the pen. that Paul Burnardo was at, during the trial. He had a 6'x8' cell and was allowed out for 1 hour a day. He did not even have his meals with the general populous.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

We can all speculate on the guilt but fact is that if the evidence was not there she should not be sentenced for the crime she MAY have committed.
The reason for this is that you are considered to be innocent until proven guilty, simply put if you want to be an american and not an iranian ( in terms of freedom rights ) then this is the price you have to pay from time to time.

I don't assume about peoples guilt, as somebody once told me "Assumptions are the mother of all ■■■■-ups!"
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Casey Anthony Trial Verdict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
She displayed a significant lack of remorse, grief and/or worry 3 years ago when this first happened as well. She didn't report her daughter missing for more than 30 days (IIRC). After reporting her missing, she toiled away the hours of uncertainty by going clubbing and competing in a "Hot Body" contest (at least once). That is NOT the actions of a normal parent whose toddler has gone missing.

If any thing happened to one of my boys, everything else would come to a halt and ALL of my efforts would be devoted to finding him or staying in touch with authorities to find out the latest news. If the disappearance dragged on, I suppose I would eventually have to go back to work, but it would be very hard to do.

Casey displayed no signs of grief or worry at all and, instead, acted more like she was glad she could suddenly go do whatever she wanted without having to worry about arrangements for someone to watch Caylee.

Her lies on the stand about her father showed she is interested only in herself and will do or say whatever is necessary to get her way or save her skin.

I followed the trial off and on over the last three years, but didn't watch it everyday. Like almost everyone else, I was stunned by the verdict, but the blame for that has to fall on the prosecution. It certainly seems like they had enough evidence for a guilty verdict. So either the defense had a better strategy, was smarter or the prosecutors got lazy thinking the media would help make this an open-and-shut case. Whatever the reason, they obviously didn't do what was needed to bring back the guilty verdict and I also have to give the jurors credit for basing their decision on the evidence presented rather than the emotions they may have felt.

It IS disgusting that she gets to walk free and will likely be offered book and movie deals. However, as Lady Z mentioned, at least she is unlikely to repeat her crime and as O.J. found out, book and movie deals don't necessarily guarantee millions of dollars in sales. I'm sure some folks will buy her book and/or be interested in any movie that might be made, but the general consensus seems to be the same as O.J. - she is guilty as sin, but got away with it. And just like O.J., I doubt the majority of Americans will be interested in any book or movie that might let Casey profit from escaping the justice they feel she deserved.
I've seen cases where people killed their kids and displayed nothing BUT fake remorse, tears and worry. Fake tears do not an innocent person make.

If she didn't want the kid, she could have put it up for adoption. Why bother with murder?