Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-25-2001, 04:00 PM   #1
IntrospectiveIdeals
Dungeon Master

Look I know I have gone raving on about how good my fighter is, but I just started TOB (got it today) and realised, a 40 level mage...hmmmm impossible to kill? Most definetely! If used right I think the mage can be the most phenomenal class in the game, not WILD MAGES, they are poo IMHO.

I'm annoyed I will lose all my equipment from BG2 but I think its worth it to start with a mage!
Old 07-25-2001, 04:10 PM   #2
trux

Well, in ToB mages can only reach 32nd level - but this sort of expansion talk doesn't belong here.

In my opinion mages have always and will always be the best class. In PnP I always play mages, or characters that at least have some magical abilities. In the BG series my PC is almost always a magic user in some ways, and when he/she's not I have plenty of NPC mages around to play with.

An intelligent and cunning mage can make him/herself virtually immune to everything, and have spells to combat any opponent or situation. Some people are quick to say that one such as a Monk, let's say, who has high magic resistance could crush a mage, but a monk against my mage would stand no chance: Protection from Magical Weapons would be cast first, then Dimension Door somewhere, then Lower Resistance that punk and have my way with him until I grow bored (confusing him, slowing him, lowering his intelligence to 3, poisoning him, really brutal stuff,) and blast through his chest with a lightning bolt.

Mages are the best.

------------------
trux
Old 07-25-2001, 04:13 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I like the spells in ToB that allows a Mage to become a Fighter, whenever that may be needed.
Also that sword spell that you automatically have grand-mastery in. I used that alot with Imoen, when I used up all other spells that were worth using in a fight, I didn't have much choice but to jump in there with her and cut up some baddies!

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Trials of the Luremaster downloadable expansion set

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 04:19 PM   #4
trux

yeah, Tenser's Transformation is the name of the fighter spell you're talking about Larry - it's great. Have a mage with the Rynn Staff or the Staff of the Magi cast that when they're high level and they're melee machines.

Also, Aerie with the Crom Faeyr casting this spell, with a Stoneskin and Blur on, can be invincible in melee.

------------------
trux
Old 07-25-2001, 07:31 PM   #5
Seid
Manshoon

Trux, at high levels Monks gain protection from poison, slow and magical resistance up to 78%. Mages will be no match for a high level Monk.

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:53 PM   #6
trux

Untrue, Seid. Slow and poison attacks are the most basic, low-level attacks a mage can use, and any powerful mage wouldn't even bother with such trifle spells.

And magic resistance? A monk's magic resistance can be lowered to nothing with two castings of Lower Resistance.

So now the monk has no magic resistance, and no other defense from a mage's spells. What can he/she do? Well, he can try to punch the mage. The mage of course will have cast Protection from Magical Weapons on himself, so the flacid fists of the monk will deal him no harm. Then the mage is free to act out his whimsy on the unprotected monk. What's the monk gonnna do, beat the mage about the head with a stick?

This is nothing against monks, I love playing monks. They are no challenge, however, for a powerful mage. Mages are the ultimate in power.

------------------
trux
Old 07-25-2001, 08:24 PM   #7
Crasso of Battledale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with the superiority of the mages, but i regard the tenser transformation a poor choice, because no high level wizard can match a high level warrior in a melee.

Blasting the fighters from afar with 10th level spells is far more funny to me.

Old 07-25-2001, 08:27 PM   #8
Starkiller
The Magister

I agree...a high level monk cant hold a candle to a powerful mage. All you have to do is hit him with a spell sequensor or some such that has 3 lower resistances and he is open, or time stop and have your way with them...there are so many ways to crack a monk. They have nothing on mages. And so long as that mage has a imp. mantle or protection from magical weapons contingency, they are virtually IMMUNE to the monk without even having to spend time casting anything. Monks may be powergamer tools, and they may be good, but against a player who knows how to play a mage, and has some decent spells in their spell book, virtually any other class is toast. Mages are also the most interesting to play...I always play a mage in pnp and computer games
Old 07-25-2001, 08:30 PM   #9
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

You may say that Mages are the best classes, but the thing that balances them out is that they suck when they are first starting out. A level 1 or 2 Mage would have his ass whooped by a level 1 or 2 Fighter.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:38 PM   #10
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I prefer the Sorcerer but thats me, Mages are great and have a lot more variety. Playing fighters can be so dull.

------------------