Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
cav_again
Manshoon

i know we're not allowed to talk about piracy, but are we allowed to talk about making backup discs?

(I ask because I've just bought BG2 for the third time, ya know)

so I'm curious if I can inquire about it, or not. Specifically, I want to know something about ToB.

thanks

(please don't bust me with a warning, I'm asking about asking about making backup discs)
Old 09-24-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I don't see how backing up information on your computer could be a bad thing to discuss, you never know when your pc might get bugged or something.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:42 AM   #3
lethoso
Manshoon

well, as far as i know there is no protection of any sort of the bg2 discs, so backing em up should be easy [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2003, 03:01 AM   #4
cav_again
Manshoon

I thought there was protection on one of the BG2 discs...

does that include Tob? cause that's what I need to know. I just bought my third copy of BG2 (ToB came with it).
Old 09-25-2003, 03:21 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

maybe you need a crack file for that?

well as I recall that Z said that you can discuss this kind of info as long as its about backup purposes and/or your cd is not working for some dumb reason that is why you need a crack file. cheers!

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-25-2003, 03:38 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's ok to talk about no-cd patches and where to get them, but it's not to tell people how to make backup disks.

Why? Because it's making a copy. By explaining how, you are telling ill intentioned people how to make copies, and there is also no way to prove if someone asking for "backup instruction" really own the game.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:45 AM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

from the Rules and Regulations:
Quote:
No Piracy: DO NOTpost links to 'warez sites'. Do not discuss pirating games, bragging about pirating or anything else. This will get your account suspended or banned. The only possible thing you CAN discuss is the so-called 'cracks' for no CD operation. SOME Games don't work on some peoples CD-ROM's. This is because of a special copy protection called 'Safe Disc'. But that is it. Anything else is considered pirating.
So you hit exactly the point where it is allowed to talk about [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2003, 04:35 AM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

I for one have made backup copies of all my original BG1-CD's - and mostly because the cardboard packaging and the insane amount of ink used on the discs themselves make them extremely vulnerable and very quick to deteriorate quality-wise. In fact, 3 of the original 6 CD's (counting TotSC as well now) are already useless because of all this, and if I hadn't made those backup copies, I wouldn't even have been able to play the game anymore.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:46 AM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
I for one have made backup copies of all my original BG1-CD's - and mostly because the cardboard packaging and the insane amount of ink used on the discs themselves make them extremely vulnerable and very quick to deteriorate quality-wise. In fact, 3 of the original 6 CD's (counting TotSC as well now) are already useless because of all this, and if I hadn't made those backup copies, I wouldn't even have been able to play the game anymore.
I wish I had made backup of some of my games. My Final Fantasy 7 disk 2 is scratched, and stop at the moment where something bad happen to someone at the end of a certain demo.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Luvian is right. In the past, it has been argued if making a backup disk was illegal, and it was decided that whether it be legal or illegal, the rules of the forums state that no discussion of public manner can be allowed. This is not to say that we have decided that it is wrong to do so, rather it is saying that we are going to stay on the safe side and protect the Website from any topics that could turn into illegal discussion.

I am locking the thread now for that reason.