Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 11:03 AM   #21
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Thank you Sir_Tainly and Wolfgir

Sorry to rant like that, but it is just frustrating to get so few results. It may be a cause of being down near the bottom of the page, but even when it is near the top it gets few or no replies

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-10-2001, 11:05 AM   #22
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Thank you Sir_Tainly and Wolfgir

Sorry to rant like that, but it is just frustrating to get so few results. It may be a cause of being down near the bottom of the page, but even when it is near the top it gets few or no replies

Well then we'll have to keep bumping until the other lazy SoBs post here too.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-10-2001, 11:57 AM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Exactly my point adam warlock!
Most people on this forum are not useful in any way, shape or form! I took a few minutes and roughly counted the number of people that have made posts in the GD forum since this thread was started. I stopped at 32! But only 9 have responded to this thread.

The reason I choose to post this survey here, rather than ask friends/family/classmates in person is b/c of the global diversity and culture differences off all of the members. But I guess people would rather spend their time answering random threads about their age/sex/race/nationality/hair color/#of body piercings/what they ate for breakfast/what color is the sky/why doesn't my 17" monitor show 19" images.....than actually post something worthwhile and helpful!!!!!

And we wonder why the earth is polluted and f---ed up? There's one answer Moridin. I'd write about that in your paper.

I buy free range eggs. Have done for over 10 years. I took it for granted that we all cared about ending battery hen egg farming until a major activist went on T.V. crying in frustration about how she was giving up because no matter what she did, people would not pay a few cents extra for a free range egg - and this was the only way to eradicate battery farming. Go figure.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-10-2001, 12:00 PM   #24
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
And we wonder why the earth is polluted and f---ed up? There's one answer Moridin. I'd write about that in your paper.

I buy free range eggs. Have done for over 10 years. I took it for granted that we all cared about ending battery hen egg farming until a major activist went on T.V. crying in frustration about how she was giving up because no matter what she did, people would not pay a few cents extra for a free range egg - and this was the only way to eradicate battery farming. Go figure.

I agree Yorick, but here in the U.K we aren't talking a few pence, the supermarkets use the free range/organic etc products to slap on a huge mark up. They knew people will buy these things if they are concerned about the environment, and so they use it as a good excuse to screw customers.

e.g. a Tesco's bread loaf 15p an Organic Loaf over a £1

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-10-2001, 12:01 PM   #25
Charean
Hathor

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
I think it should - I find it alarming that the world governments do not realize we live on a planet that has finite resources. We can only pollute our backyard so long before it is no longer habitable.

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
Actually, yes. The Discovery and Learning Channels do a great deal on how the planet is changing due to our influence... and some of the programs specifially dealt with new ways of recycling, new ways of dealing with our garbage and how we can use the enviornment (specifically wetlands) to break it down, changing weather patterns over the last century, and hydrogen powered engines.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
I recycle everything I can. We have a wonderful program here and my trash/recycle ratio is usually 1 part trash/3 parts recycle material

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why?
I am for fission - when it is viable. I do not like fusion because of the waste it produces and because it can be way too dangerous for us to deal successfully with.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
I would gladly pay more for a hybrid or an alternative... if it could do what I do presently (long distance). Money really isn't an issue for me.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
Yes indeedy... used to have solar panels... would love to see more of that here.

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws
Governments (specifically the US for not stepping up to the plate on the Kyoto Treaty) make me pretty perturbed in thier unwillingness to give up revenue from the big companies that pay the lobbyists. I feel my government in particular is the worst of the bunch in that it WILL NOT take responsibility for what it does and what it produces. We have a duty to try to cut our pollutants and tell our companies that they can't run the country - but that won't happen with Bush in office (no - I do not support him in any way, shape or form).
I take responsiblity in living green and buying things that are either from recycled material or will be energy efficient. Yes, I do spend more, but I think it is worth it.

Love this thread, by the way... you got me on one of my favorite subjects.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
The secret is knowing the rules so you can bend/break them selectively!!!
Aquisition master of the Finest of Humours - and the Killer Joke
Musketeer of Fast Fourward
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....
Muse and Eternal Love of KDogRex
Old 04-10-2001, 12:10 PM   #26
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

That will be an issue in my paper. The biggest threat to the environment is people not caring! Too many people will say when asked "Do you think the environment is in danger and should something be done about it", will answer "Yes & Yes". But then when asked about issues like "Do you recycle?" answer a resounding "NO". To use a bad cliche, too many people talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

I too only buy free range eggs, and also will only eat free range chicken and turkey. I am not against eating meat, but am appalled at the treatment of the animals. The thing that pisses me off most is this argument "we are only raising them to kill them for food, so why does it matter?" I want to take these people and shove them is a cage so small they can't move, have to sh** on each other, get limited amounts of water, and have all of their teeth removed!

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-10-2001, 12:23 PM   #27
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
I too only buy free range eggs, and also will only eat free range chicken and turkey. I am not against eating meat, but am appalled at the treatment of the animals. The thing that pisses me off most is this argument "we are only raising them to kill them for food, so why does it matter?" I want to take these people and shove them is a cage so small they can't move, have to sh** on each other, get limited amounts of water, and have all of their teeth removed!

Very true Moridin.

I loved planet of the Apes because it put you in the animals seat.

I started cutting down on the amount of meat I ate a fair few years ago. I didn't want to be a vegetarian and repress myself, but by cutting down I got healthier and felt better about the environment. It takes as much grain to feed one cow bred for say a Big mac, as it does to feed a village. The cows poo emits methane which contributes to the ozone problem, and in Europe (except for Sweden) the herbiverous bovine was turned into a carnivore and given ground up animals in their food - ala BSE/CJD.

We should be disgusted with our race the way we have treated it's other inhabitants. The capability is there. People love feeding cute animals.

I tried to only eat meat if I was hungry enough to kill an animal - I failed, because if I really had to kill a pig, I wouldn't eat bacon.(Smarter than cats and dogs, they, according to my wife who went to an Agricultural High School, scream on the morning they get killed.... they know.)

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-10-2001, 01:39 PM   #28
Moiraine
Anubis

Oh, sorry, I didn't think getting answers was that urgent for you, I was thinking of replying next week when I will be back home.

I'll do it now, then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes.

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
Yes / No.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
Yes ! As soon as it was available in France, I did. And made my family do so.

If against, why?
Against. First, we don't master all the scientific consequences of toying with nuclear power. And second, how selfish are we to leave behind stuff that will still be poisoning in centuries ?

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
Double, no prob, as long as I could be sure that the extra money goes where it is supposed to, and not in the car companies owners pockets ...

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
Yes - happy to.

Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws

Companies, no doubt. I think that alas economics rule the world today, and that the governments are quite powerless to compell big companies with money power to respect laws.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yorick, I don't agree with you, I think that the earth has a capacity to heal itself and restore balance from agressions, but only so far, and I fear that we humans, numerous as we are, are starting to meddle with nature in too many areas and with too less concern for balance for the earth to be able to handle the consequences - or maybe it will, but in a rather violent way ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-10-2001, 01:49 PM   #29
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

K, let me see how well I can answer this...

Absolutely, I think that we're running out of time to make a difference in our planets future that might be for the better.

Unfortunately no.

Absolutely, as much as possible.

If against, why?

For, but I think that more work needs to be doneto refins the provcess to make it safer and waste disposal is still a critical issue

It would depend on the quality of the automobile, and the alternate fuel source

Yes

I think all of the above, the public demands ease and comfort and is unwilling to wait for it to be done in an enviromentaaly sound manner, the Automotive and Oil companies will not give in until the oil is gone and unless we do something to change the public's dependnce on fossil fuels they will never have to.

Governments are almost corporate run at this point and will bend to the will of big business, so they will capitulate to them. Where this places blame, I don't know, but it is divided between the three...

HOPE THIS helps!!!

------------------
-Bard Extraordinaire of the OHF
Man of Sweet Words and Heart Aflame
Keeper of the Heart of Charean
Champion Songster of Fast Fourward
Old 04-10-2001, 01:56 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

OK Moridin, checking in to help!

**yes

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact
topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)

**yes, the hole in the ozone layer and cancer rates rising in some parts of the world

**Recycling is mandatory in most cities around me,incl. my own, but I would do it anyway.

If against, why?

**I don't say I'm for/against. They are here. Lets keep them as 'safe' as possible until or unless we can find a better, more earthfriendly way to supply the power needed. I would prefer the earthfriendly energy if it were available to me.

*** If I could afford it and it was a reasonable alternative to the cars we drive now, I'd pay quite a bit.

**Considering de-regulation just jacked my bills up over 200% for the same thing I've always used...dunno. Aside from startup costs, why should the alternative methods of generating energy cost more?

**EVERYONE... it's not a black and white , cause-effect kind of thing now. We have locked into a circle of use/abuse.

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever