Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-05-2000, 11:14 PM   #31
Morninglord

Magnus>>
Magnus is indeed a Scandinavian name, as someone said. It is quite common in Sweden and Norway.

My characters name is "Andaras". I took it from the "lord of cats", the god of all feline creatures in Shadow World, a campaign world for the roleplaying game called Rolemaster. The _reason_ I took it is because my real name is Andreas, and the similarity should be apparent.

In all things internet and in most other games, I am "Morninglord".

Some other names to use then, from the Scandinavian viking mythology:

Male: Tor(Thor in english), Oden(Odin), Mode, Magne, Balder, Heimdall, Jörmundgand, Loke(Loki), Mimer, Hödar, Vider.

Female: Frej(Frey), Idun, Järnsaxa, Freja, Frigg, Audhumbla.

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-06-2000, 12:17 AM   #32
martel

I used the name Martel - from Eddings Elenium series as well as from history, Martel was the grandfather of Charlemagne I believe. Another name is Galrion from the Katherine Kerr series.

Old 12-06-2000, 12:38 AM   #33
Vlade

Some more Kara-Turish names Otaku Kamoko, Bayushi Kachiko, Doji Reju, Doji Rekai, Togashi Hoshi, Shiba Tsukune, Akodo Ginawa, Matsu Hiroru (all of which are charactors in the Legend of Five Rings RPG and CCG).
Oh btw, the Kachiko's Wakizashi that u can buy is a reference to Bayushi Kachiko although story-wise she wasn't a samurai(ie fighter or even a thief).
How about some alien sounding names like those used by Raymond E. Feist in the Empire series for the choja?

Old 12-06-2000, 12:38 AM   #34
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And sometimes, names can be taken straight from the dictionary. Find the definition you like....go with it.
Old 12-06-2000, 12:50 AM   #35
bogus

like some of the others stated tolkien is(was) the man when it comes to fantasy..
however I mostly use
fighters:
Grumpy (can't take creds for this one.. it's my favorite but I stole it from another guy in MUME (middle-earth mud))
Grunt
Grinch (yeah I know .. jim carrey .. but my grinch is older than his )

mage/cleric:
Witt (I only have 1 mage name cuz I never play them.. though sometimes they are useful to have around (magic is for weenies ))

b

Old 12-06-2000, 12:59 AM   #36
bogus

ohh yeah.. I forgot.. pratchett is a good inspiration esp the guys in the watch.. best female dwarfname ever: Cheery Littlebottom (works for hobbits aswell)..
and their is a certain ring to Captain Carrot ..

and what more?? yeah best male dwarf name (unfornatetly it's in swedish): Surskägg (something like Sourbeard) though Stronginthearm is also good..
and from an old swedish rpg-mag: Bultarn ("Pounder"), Trollis ("Wizie") Tjuvas ("Stealer")..

a friend of mine plays with an all orc group.. the names are different indian sauces (Korma, Rogan Josh and so on)..

b

Old 12-06-2000, 02:22 AM   #37
Mandrake
Welcomed New User

I have used the name Mandrake for years. Stems back to when the Ultima games where still worth playing and Mandrake was one of the most powerful spell ingredients. Yeah, you guessed it, my character back then was a mage!
Other names I have used are:
Elric (from the books by Moorcock)
Etrik Elderbrant
Ragnar Rivenshield
(Both original)
Old 12-06-2000, 05:33 AM   #38
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hi all, thanks for replying to this thread...some of your names are truly interesting!!

Hey Morninglord, wouldn't it be cool to be able to play a frost giant that we could name Thrym??!! (I didn't include any Viking myth names so thanks a lot for doing so)

Please keep this thread up everyone, and if you're non-english speaking, give us a taste of exotic names from your own language!! (Although I'm not sure if I can come up with any cool dutch names; Kees, Piet and Klaas sound pretty dumb to me --btw did you guys know that Jan Janssen is about as dutch as you can get?!!!!!)

Memnoch, the idea of 'elvenizing' Greek names is really cool thanks!

Oh yeah, someone said that Qualen means to torment, yeah, it does actually: the German verb qualen means to torment or annoy
Old 12-06-2000, 06:55 AM   #39
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

My name is originally from a swedish comic, called Assar (it's great fun, about a walking sausage who run aways from a hot dog salesman and moves out of town to live in a really small village far away from anything called Zero Mountain and... oh, anyway). There are some mountains in this comic called "The Hoggar Mountains" (fancy that). When I was making an ogier on a mud I used to play a few years ago I thought this sounded rather sturdy, large and ogier-ish. Since then its been my name in most games I've played. So there.
Old 12-06-2000, 07:03 AM   #40
Arak

I also started using Arak in a MUD ages ago, but from where i got the name i have no idea. I liked the name though and have used it in most RPGs and PnP usually as a Druid with a taste for the good i life.

-"All i ask for is a nice forest, a good wine, and a nymph with a golden voice"