Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Okay, I'm trying to load a mod for multiplayer online play and it seems that there are two options:

One is to go thru "multiplayer", select "new online game", and then follow the menus to load the game.

The second appears to be via the DMCLIENT option and THIS is where the problem begins. I want to be able to add in a previously generated character as both a player AND the DM, but the only character option I seem to have is the Dunge Onmaster character. None of my other character options are showing up. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

The third option is using nwserver.

The differences are these:

nwserver runs the module without running NWN. It doesn't take as many resources as the alternatives, and it can keep running even without your being in-game.
Also, note that after starting a game using nwserver, you can still run the game as normal and enter as player or dm.

Multiplayer mode takes your list of selectable characters from the LocalVault or ServerVault directory, depending on your settings. It only runs as long as the host (you) is in-game.

The DM Client mode works just like the Multiplayer mode, except it takes the character from your dmvault folder. What you can do there is copy the appropriate character from your LV/SV to your DMV. Don't expect to be able to play as a player in that case though.

DM characters are ignored by monsters everywhere, they are invulnerable, their skills are at maximum and they have tons of feats. As well as a very high movement speed.

For a blend, you have three options. One is using your DM character as an actual character anyway and simply avoiding combat situations, focussing on the RP aspect.
The second one is to play as a player, hosting it, and using the console commands to get most things done.
The third one is to edit the module and add an NPC version of your character to the pallette. Then from DM Client mode you can create and possess that character. This is probably your best bet. You can unpossess the character at any time to perform your DM duties, and play on as normal the rest of the time. The main downsides will be it's hard to join a party, and you won't get XP or be able to level up.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer

Thanks Legolas. That was an oustanding summary. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 11-13-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hey Micah, what shakes? Another option, if your really wanting to play, and have a dm while you do is to designate another player to dm, even if it's on your server. If your really wanting to just dm, just do it. I'll tell you, it can be more fun than actually playing, sometimes, especially on a smaller server.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer

Hey rtb! How are things going?

I opted to load the mod with multiplayer (no NWserver or DMclient) as I wanted to play as well. [img]smile.gif[/img] Although i thought LONG and hard about DMing. lol

Old 11-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Should try it sometime, if you haven't. It's tons of fun, most of the time.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Does anyone happen to know whether the Linux version of NWServer is more stable than the Windows one? I have some stability problems with the Windows version of NwN, so I'm concerned the same will occur with NWServer...
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I don't know about the linux version, but we have had limited problems with the main server i'm involved in, running on Windows 98. Lag becomes an issue at times, but that may be all the cached scripts we have running in some areas.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I've heard good things about the linux version as it is built on a more stable OS.

However the patches for the server version usually take longer to come out so that can be a downside for you.

[ 11-22-2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]