Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-11-2001, 06:12 AM   #51
Halo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
Yes.

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
Yes / No.

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
Yes as much as I can given the facilities we have in this country which are poor at best.

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why?
For + against , it has the potential to be a clean power source however in its current incarnation it is one of the biggest threats to our environment.

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
Currently use public transport , if it was available I would pay through the nose for it.

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
Yes - There is currently a wind power idea on the table in this country - here's hoping.

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming?
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws

Complex question , in the end I think govt. and companies are responsible consumers are fickle and with the right advertisement from companies or encouragement from government would do the right thing. Companies exist mostly for profit thats where their interests start and end and in the most part they couldn't give a (insert expletive here) about the environment. The government has the power to legally enforce greener policies , make available recycling facilities , protect companies that encourage alternatives. So on this scale the govt. would be most responsible. However it comes down to people not as part of any of these three groups, if enough people were interested in the environment then they would wield significant force as a political lobby , they would make companies see being environmentally friendly as economically viable until this happens the status quo will be maintained.

------------------
"if you whistle while you’re pissing, you have two minds where one is quite sufficient.
If you have two minds, you are at war with yourself" (Illuminatus. 405).
Old 04-11-2001, 08:01 AM   #52
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Do you think global warming should be a top priority for world governments?
One of the highest. Along with preserving native forests and wild life. What will the world be like without forests? Concrete. Then again, what will the world be like if the sun is so hot you can't go outside.

Have you read any news articles or heard/watched any TV programs on global warming in the past 6 months? If so, do you remember the exact topic (i.e. Kyoto treaty, fossil fuel consumption)
I can't say that I have actually

Do you recycle? (recycling reduces the amount of debris in landfills and therefore reduces methane emissions)
Yep - Paper (cardboard) and bottles.

How do you feel about Nuclear power as an energy source? Against or For
If against, why?

It seems pretty powerful. But it is also quite unstable. I would have to say against

How much more would you be willing to pay for a car that used an alternative power source to gasoline?
Hmmm, I am not sure. I think I would be willing to pay $5,000 more or so. But I think it would only work if this was the only option. Car dealers would have to put profit aside, and think about the future for this to happen though. And frankly, I can't see that happening in a hurry

Would you be willing to pay more for electricity if your power company used alternative energy sources (i.e. wind/water generation, solar power)?
That sounds reasonable enough. I think I would do it, but once again, its up to the majority

Who do you think is the main culprit of global warming
Consumers for their unwillingness to use ‘cleaner’ products because they cost more and are less available
Automotive and Oil companies for their unwillingness to change to alternative energy
Governments for their unwillingness to introduce and enforce stricter emissions laws

I think it is a combination of a lot of different people. Firstly, all companies need to change their priorities. I know that there are a lot of changes, and efforts being made by car companies to produce cars which run on electricity, or fuel cells. Governments could do a lot more, by bringing in laws to restrict the use of certain products. This would get the majority of people going...

Unfortunately it would seem that not enough people care about this.
"Why should I do it, knowone else does" is a commonly heard attitude. It sux, the work has to start somewhere.

Anyway, thats my two sense (or was it cents?)

------------------

"Watch your back" - Sylent
Master Thief of the OHF